Need SATA PCI RAID card

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Hello all. Can anyone recommend to me a SATA PCI RAID card that won't take processing power away from the CUP? And, what is the correct word for a card that doesn't take processing power from the CPU? I was looking at the TX4310 but it looks like that uses the CPU for parity processing and I'd like to take the load away from the CPU. I already have two Promise TX4060's in my case and I'm also using my motherboards on-board RAID1 ports.

Thank you,

thearm

Specs

GA-8KNXP Gigabyte Mobo
2.4Ghz Pent.4 HT processor
2.5 Gigabytes of memory
ATI All in Wonder 128 Pro
550Watt power supply
11 hard drives (three RAID 1's and one RAID 5)
Two Promise IDE array cards
3Com, Kingston and Intel network cards

Gatorbait

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
There are many to choose from, but you will find that the ones that do not tax the CPU will be more expensive. LSI, 3ware, adaptec, promise, highpoint, etc. all have some sort of RAID controller that off loads the RAID calculations. Try any of LSI that is not on the Entry line. The key is if they have DDR memory on the board, they are most likely a full RAID card that does not tax your CPU.

http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/internal_raid/megaraid_sas/index.html

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Thanks for the feedback and the link. But they are all PCI-E. I need just PCI.

Is seems like there are not many to choose from that are PCI, SATA, and a card that won't tax the CPU. If I knew the word or the type of technology for a card that doesn't tax the CPU, I'd Google the card I need if it exists.

Thanks,

thearm

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I need 32bit for an GA-8KNXP motherboard.

EDIT: Will a PCI-X work in a PCI slot? I know I will loose the bandwidth but as long as it will work, I'd use it.

EDIT: It looks like a PCI-X card will work in a PCI slot according to Wikipedia. Is this correct?

Thank you,

thearm

Gatorbait

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
It may, depending on your PCI slot. If the slot is 5V, then it will not, since the pci-X cards do not support the universal slots. If it is 3.3V only, then the card should. Please verify on your MB and on the manual for the Card before purchasing.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008

Thanks Gatorbait. I can't find the voltage of the PCI slots in my manual. But thank you anyway. Now I know that PCI-X can work on my board. I just have to find the right card. Thanks for your help.