SLi with two different core clocks

blamman

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
I have an xfx 8600 with a 540 mhz core clock and someone is giving me a pny 8600 gt with a 576mhz core clock. Can I sli these together? Will the pny go down to 540mhz core clock. Any help would be apprecaited.

Gish

G

yeah they'll work... make sure to put the slower gfx card in the first pci e slot... that way the second will be underclocked to the first one... the different brands will work, the only thing that won't work is if its a different chip, like a 8600 gt and 8500 gt...

or if you know for a fact that your first card (540 mhz) can overclock to 576 (ts a sure bet that it can) then put the second card in the first slot and that will ramp up the speed of the first card which would then be in the second slot

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I don't think they will auto ramp up the speed on the clocks regardless of where you put the card, they will default to the lowest speed but if you use Riva Tuner you can set them both to a defined speed thereby OC'ing the slower one to the faster ones speeds or OC'ing them both to an even higher speed if you like.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245454-15-crossfire-faqs

What about brands ?
Well the brand doesnt matter , again for example , you can use a XFX card with a EVGA card , or a SAPPHIRE card with a DIAMOND card , just make sure they have the same memory and same clocks.

What will happend if 2 cards have the same amount of memory but one has higher clocks than the other?
One of the best ways to learn is to make examples.
You have a 8800GT(Normal edition,no OverClocks) and you want to add another 8800GT(Which is OverClocked),then:

1_The OverClocked one will lower its clocks to reach the Non-OverClocked card.

2_You can OverClock your card(The one that has Stock frequencies) and reach the OverClocked card.
Remember, you cant ALWAYS OverClock the normal card to reach the other card,because it may not OverClock that much and may become unstable.

WARNING:There are many exceptions in Computer Hardware, for example "Mousemonkey" a member of this forum has told me that when he puts his ASUS 7900GT card (Which is at stock speeds) with a XFX 7900GT(A OverClocked card) the ASUS one raise its clock to reach the XFX one which is an exception and as i said exceptions are alot in Computer Hardware.