Funny Story, Prime95 and Windows 7

Haldrik

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I just recently upgraded my computer and have been doing some serious overclocking. I also switched from XP Pro to windows 7 (never used VISTA before). I had assumed all this stuff in windows 7 was new...but have since learned I can look up tips and tricks for vista to apply to windows 7.

Anyways, I have been using Prime95 to do some serious overclock testing.

Well about 5 minutes ago I popped open SpeedFan to check my voltage/temp settings because I was planning on dropping my FSB back to 200, and using my multiplier. And wow... I was at 100% CPU usage across 4 cores (phenom II) I had no idea what was going on, task manager showed 0 applications running and I was a bit confused. So after viewing the processes I noticed that PRIME95 was running! Holy ***. I ran the damn program a long time ago. Apparently I had changed the taskbar to auto hide and only show programs on notifications. So prime 95 was running merrily along hidden in my task bar. Vista noob? oops.

A few clicks later, I managed to open Prime95, and well, it had just ran for 35 hours straight! Holy *** balls. My CPU running at 52C for 35 hours makes me a sad panda...

And then I realized why my encoding speed went from 5 to 25 minutes(340 meg AVI to mp4) this morning (I thought I had forgotten the speed since it was a new system).

And then another staggering thought! I had just played Empire total war for a good 4-6 hours and then another 5 hours before that. And honestly, the game ran like a champ! I'm not sure if prime95 scales down its CPU usage if another program is running concurrently, but either way, it makes me happy.

Indeed, a wince and a smile all at once. Damn you Windows 7! And damn my noobness.

JTP709

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

wish i could say the same :(

prime95 or OCCT both fail with my PC on STOCK voltages and core speeds.
games run fine though, just with i knew what was wrong . . .

kudos on running it for 35 hours straight and playing empire total war