Cannot Boot OS from PCI RAID Controller

G

Here is my dilemma.

I bought a PCI RAID controller in hopes of being able to boot an OS from my two SATA II drives in a RAID 0 configuration.
My mother board supports booting from a SCSI device but will not boot from my RAID controller. I know of a work around by adding a EIDE HDD and using that as the primary boot device but that takes away the whole point of what I am tiring to do.

The RAID controller is a SIL3124r and the mobo is a ECS SiS648FX-A.

I can access the RAID controller but the BIOS won't recognize it as a bootable device.

The issue is with the BIOS not picking the controller up, not with the controller itself.

Any thoughts?

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Does the card spec say it's bootable? If not it probably isn't.

Many (cheap) RAID cards arn't true RAID, the RAID function is provided by driver software which needs to be running BEFORE the Array can be seen.

G

It's a bootable RAID controller that operates as a true RAID.
The card is a SiL3124r5 Host Controller, fully bootable. I am thinking it is just my mobo cannot recognize it as a host controller for booting from. What I don't understand is my mobo supports booting from SCSI but wont boot from RAID. Also I tried booting from a SCSI host controller I have and that doesn’t seem to work either. Hence as I said I think it is a mobo issue and not a RAID issue. But, I could be wrong.

TRENDING THREADS