Getting new Video Card; please read

vipeness

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Hey Guys!

Currently I have a e8400 proc and 4g ram running vista ultimate 32bit.

i currently have a evga 8800gt 512 card (normal) in my machine and want to upgrade this card to a higer performance card. I was thinking of going SLI and getting the same video card, but I was thinking, if it was just better to get a new card that would out perform (2) 8800 gt's in my machine. I was thinking about going to a 8800 768meg gtx, but looking over the web; i see they have 9800 gts, gtx card also.

I really want an improvement in my games, espically age of conan. Can anyone recommend and link some cards that I can overlook and purchase; or just give me a general idea on what the best solution would be. Thanks for all the help if you can provide some answers!

G

wait... wait for the new cards that are coming out later this month... the only way your going to get something that out performs 2 8800 GT's in sli is either the new 4870 X2, GTX 280, or maybe the GTX 260....

anyway what resolution do you play at... if its higher than 1600 1200 wait for the new cards... if its not... wait for a 4870, or 4850 which are also new cards but a little lower on the extreme performance charts... even though they'll still likely out perform todays top cards

The new cards might cost a bunch. Also, new drivers usually stink, there will be blue screens for months if history repeats itself again.

If your current motherboard and power supply and case support SLI you might as well just get another 8800GT, I guess. What kind of MB/PSU/case do you have?

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
If you get an old or a new...either way, wait for the new NV cards to come out in a few weeks that way the old cards will drop in price. 8800GT sli pretty well, so if you can get a really good deal on one...it might not be a bad idea.