Perfect, long time runnung system and BLAHHHH...Help!

dropz889

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Dear Felow brothers, this is my first post, I Have been seiing hard for a couple compamines, some of you may have heard, TCWO (aka Thompsons Computer Warehouse) and BCD2000 and a nother no one cares about....anyways I have a Asus P4T-E with 4 x 128mb PC800 Rambus mem sticks and a P4 1.6 running cool at 2.2ghz, 400w PS Antec., CDRW, DVDRW, ATI Radeon 9550 128DDR...been working great for almost 4-6 years (sorry lost count).....BUT herers the the problem one day I boot up all my case lites lite up and I hear all the normal sounds but no video (Samsung 21" Syncmaster 205BW) I tryed changing PS's. no deal, the same thing even happens even when I leave the hard drives unpluged from the ribbion. And what another coincidence I was givin another gatway compouter with Rambus and it does the same thing............CAN ANYONE out these throw me a bone I can usually fix most problems selling hardware for almost 9 years, But I'm stumpped...any advise would be greatly apreciated!

Thanks,
BEN
:bounce:

Rebuild it barebones. If it won't start with nothing but cpu, 1 stick RAM, and video card then try switching parts - another video card, another stick ram. If nothing helps then probably a dead MOBO. Examine MOBO for any signs of damage - blown caps etc.

Sometimes old systems simply get dusty and parts can loose proper contact. This is why you actually want to rebuild it. Re-seating each part might do the trick if you are lucky.

Is the speaker hooked up? Any error beeps?

I assume you have checked the monitor and cable.

dropz889

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Also, I almost forgot , there is no beeps at all, no sounds, just not post and it just stands there with with nothering but a blank screen.

Thanks,
Ben

dropz889

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Also, when I pull the IDE cables and Video Cable to the monitor, it does the same thig, just all the lites in my case case work and nothing else...I assumed it was the MB or CPU, but I wanted to hear it from some others that are still in the seen unlike me,, back in the day I could figure this out over the phone within seconds lol :)

Thanks for all your help,
Ben

Try rebuliding it. That has worked for me more than a few times over the years. Video cards in particular to be re-seated from time to time. Any system several years old should be cleaned out and rebuilt before you pronounce it dead.

If it comes down to CPU or MOBO then 99% chance it's mobo.