What's the Diff between all these Types of AA????

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I recently got GRID,

I've always been a fan of the Colin McRae Racing Series, and when i heard CM made this I bought it!

Anyways.

In the Options I have all of these choices,

level 1-8 (Sampling, I already know what is and how it affects the game)

After I start getting into:

2xmsaa
4csaa
8xQCSAA
16XQCSAA

I know what they are, I know what they do, but is it actually noticeable???

There were more options, but thats the gist of it:p

I'm not a noob when it comes to these usually, but I lost track once they hit all these Q C and xs lol

To me in Gaming it was always about AA 2-4 lol

I think the CSAA, there was an example by HAlf life 2, when it was enabled you could see through the fence better or something like that.

Anyways Thanks for the help.

:)

I know I could always search it, but I like the Opinion of forumers because I think that opinions matter more to me since I'm the type of person that if I don't see it, I don't really care what the setting is set too!

G

^ great question

anyway I got the GRID demo and its amazing... i don't have nearly as many options though... only 2 times and 4 times sampling... not 8 or 16 =(

anyway my single 8800 GTS 640 handles the game at max with 4 AA at 1920 b y 1200... not sure it could handle the extra AA though...

anyway...

I like saying anyway...

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
yeah, the game is way better than the DIRT (Optimization that is)

I ran it at 1280x1024 MAx 16xQCSAA at around 50 fps lol.

If I put it at 8XQCSAA the frames basically double:p

There isn't an SLI profile yet neither:S lol I wonder if that will improve anything:D

DarthPiggie

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
8xQ has more quality than than 8x. These modes are true only for Nvidia, so Nv 8x and 16x are not the same quality as ATI counterparts. 8x and 16x have similar performance to 4x because of the way AA is implemented. The number of Color/Z/Stencil Samples remains at 4, so the performance impact is less, but the quality suffers.-> http://developer.nvidia.com/object/coverage-sampled-aa.html

Now, MSAA regular AA which applies AA normally. CSAA is performace oriented but the quality is worse. Multi-Sampling AA applies anti-aliasing to surfaces that usually aren't, like grass or the like. CSAA is Coverage Sampling AA, which is what I just described.

Correction: MSAA isnt multisampling AA.