rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
I'm working on a new build and one of the next items on my list is finding a good PSU. One of the things I've never figured out is how much power to get. I don't need more power then is needed because I assume I'm just using more power then needed and driving up the electric bill. I won't be doing any over clocking so will use all components stock. Here's what I have for my build so far:

- ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Motherboard
- Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Quad-Core
- CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
- Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
- WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
- No video card selected yet, but looking at a mid-range card.

Any advice on what I should be looking for in a PSU would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get one that has removable cords so I can keep the set-up clean. What are some good PSU manufacturers? How do I determine how much power is needed? Anything else I'm not thinking about?

Thanks!

The size of the power supply has no relation to the amount of electricity you use. The computer only draws the power it needs.

The size of the power supply depends on the gpu you select, so until you figure that out can't help you. You'll probably need something in the 500w range. I suggest something at least 80+ bronze rated from Corsair, Antec, XFX, Seasonic, PCP&C, or OCZ.

I question why your going with a K series cpu and a Z68 if your not overclocking.....

I also question why your going Sandy Bridge and not the new Ivy Bridge cpu.

I would recommend you go with a i7-3770 and a H77 mobo. If your main use is gaming, I would suggest an i5-3550 and H77 mobo, hyperthreading won't help you in 99% of games.

ram1009

Distinguished
My advice is to get the highest wattage QUALITY PSU you can afford. Yes this will cost more initially but will not affect your power bill appreciably. Consider the extra money an investment and an insurance policy, a cheap one at that. Personally, I don't like running PSUs over 50% of rated value. Now you can listen to all the people who will tell you it's OK to max out your PSU.

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
I figured I can't get too far without knowing what video card I want to get but figured I'd start looking and educate myself on what I'm looking for.

As far as my set-up, I guess I shouldn't say I'd "never" overclock, but it would be nice to get one that could if I choose so some day in the future. I need t go through my build again and see if what I'm looking at makes sense now. It's been awhile since I put this together and just not getting back into it and getting ready to purchase everything. Technology changes quickly so I do need to look at the ivy bridge.

There's really no point in overclocking for gaming if your using a single video card. The Ivy Bridge cpu is fast enough at stock speeds that you'll be gpu bottlenecked long before your cpu hit's 100% load.

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Once I figure out what video card I'm getting, I'll start looking at PSUs and see if I'm on the right track.

I need to do some research on the difference between Sandy and Ivy bridge and what the benefits are. I tend to go with something that's been on the market more since there are more reviews and a better feel of the quality of the product. Plus Sandy I'm sure is a little cheaper.

Sandy is $20 cheaper, but Ivy is faster clock for clock and uses less power and also has better integrated graphics if you ever use that.

If cost is an issue, get the i5, it's just as fast as the i7 in gaming. Hyperthreading doesn't help you in gaming.