CPUZ shows Q9450 throttling down to 2.0 Ghz??????

rkowalk

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
What the junk is up with this? I have a p5q-e mobo and have no idea why this is happening!
I guess i am quite the noob after all.
Anyone got ideas why?

You know this has been answered so many times before. There is this cool thing on Intel chips called Speedstep. What it does is when your CPU is idle it lowers the CPU multiplier to 6 therfore giving your CPU a speed of 2GHz (333x6). Your stock speed is 2.66GHz (333x8).

If you want it to run at 2.66GHz all the time you go into BIOS and turn off Speedstep. That will get it to run at 2.66GHz full time.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
A feature called Speedstep that throttles down the processor when full speed is not required. Why is this good? well it saves energy while your doing less CPU intensive tasks like surfing the net, and when you require the the extra speed the CPU will throttle back to it's full speed. It's an intelligent feature, so you don't need to do anything

Some will tell you to disable it, but that is foolish keep it enabled.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Be sure to disable C1E along with the speedstep, it's noted in the passage that TC linked. It's more than likely that the C1E is the offender.

As said, once you see the difference then leave C1E enabled you can leave EIST disabled as it won't be needed. There really is no reason not to unless you are doing the uberclock and it makes your system unstable.

rkowalk

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Um... sorry guys i realized that right after i posted that. I thought i had disabled it, but thanks for the quick responses.

No problem! The forums contain a large amount of information and it is easier just to ask for information rather than search for it.

Enjoy your processor!