starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I just built a new pc, and its great, but for some reson it seems as games take pretty long time to load, for example gta4 loads in over a minute, but GRID is just sits on the load screen before the race starts, and in load screen stats change, so program IS respondng. So in GRID I never get past load screen.

I was wondering if this is hard drive issue, I have all new parts. my drive is 640 GB WD black.

Anyone can help me ? IS it hard drive issue or might it be something else ??

m build is

Asus P6T mobo
Intel i7 920 CPU
Nvidia GTX275
Corsair HX1000 PSU
Corsair Dominator 6GB
zalaman 9900 LED
calviar black 640 GB HDD

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008

543.6mhz....
Is there a multiplication to it or is this it... seems a bit low since my ram supposed to support 1600mhz

The "DDR" in your "DDR3" memory stands for "Double Data Rate" - there are two data transfers per clock cycle, one on the rising edge and one on the falling edge of the clock signal. Therefore, with a 534.6MHz clock you're getting about 1066M transfers per second (ie, "DDR3-1066"). That's the default speed for the Core i7 920.

By the way, the RAM timing isn't going to have anything to do with your slow game loads. It's more likely to be a disk contention issue. I'm not familiar with these games so I don't know how much data they have to load, but what I'd do is to look at Resource Monitor to see how busy the disk is and what's accessing it:

Start -> Search for "Resource Monitor" and click it.
Click the "Disk" tab
Look at the graphs for the disk queue length.

If you've got a disk with a queue length over 1.0 then it's probably a bottleneck. Look at the list of processes with disk activity to see if there's more than one process (an anti-virus scan, for example) which is trying to do lots of I/O at the same time.

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008

I dont to seem to be able to find it on this computer..

however, I did try to change sata cable and changed sata port,

It seems as I started out slow when I was installing the OS, it was loading slow, maybe one of my friends dropped my hard drive when I was away from my room, since i kept all of the parts on drawer....

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
First port of call for me would be to check what kind of speed you are getting with the hard drive. you could try something like hdtach (google, free download for the basic thing). There are a few general testing utilities like everest too, both should give you some figures to post and a whole heap of other information.

Hope this helps you on your way
Karl

selea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
The most common thing it can be that other programs are using the disk to check files or reorganize them. Check for antivirus programs, defragmenters, spyware etc and disable them temporarily to see if it solve the problem. If it does then they are the problem and you should google a bit on how to setup them to not reduce I/O on the drive or remove the programs you don't really need. You can check the guide on Vista that you find in tweakguides.com: there are many common programs listed on there where it is explained how to setup them for better operation. I suggest also to check the guide to check the services for better use and faster load times.

Also download a registry cleaner (google it) for Vista and run it. It will remove all chunks in the registry that slows OS loading times.

Naturally if the drive was slow before installing the OS (Vista) then this is not the problem (if it was empty and/or new) and you have to check the drive and/or connection instead.

enayet_redeemer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
What is the Graphics Driver version of your Geforce card? There might be driver issue. I faced almost the same issue with my XFX Radeon 4850 card with Catalyst 9.7 driver. But I have upgraded to 9.8 then the issue was gone.

If you suspect HDD issue then did you notice the activity on HDD LED of the casing during game load?

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
OK here is infro from HD tune 121.5mb/s max tranfer, 84.8 mb/s average,

access time 23.2 ms
burst rate 48.5mb/s

error scan didnt show any damaged blocks
on health tab, it didnt show any problems either.

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008

It took a while, couple times it was stuck on the same page that didnt display a progress bar, but just vista's light blue background....