Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Adding 2nd hard drive on Windows XP

Last response: in Storage
August 27, 2009 12:26:13 AM

I have an older WD 30GB IDE hard drive which contains pictures I want to save. I want to install it on a machine that uses IDE-SCSI controller by Promise Technology to interface with Maxtor 150GB SCSI drive, currently the only hard drive on the machine. I have physically installed the WD drive, set the jumper to "slave", and connected it to the secondary IDE connector on the motherboard. I've gone into the BIOS and set the hard drive up, and it was auto-detected. Control Panel in Windows recognizes the WD drive is there, as well as the Maxtor SCSI drive, but I can't access the WD IDE drive from "My Computer" or through "Windows Explorer". Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
a c 415 G Storage
August 27, 2009 3:37:46 AM

Is this the only drive connected to that IDE port on the controller? If so, you should set it to "master". EACH port can accept two drives with one set as the master and one as the slave. If there is only one drive on a port it should be set as the master.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 27, 2009 3:31:08 PM

Remove the jumper from the WD drive. When it is the only drive on the IDE cable you don't use a jumper. I have ran into this many times on my home systems and friends.
I would also plug it in at the end of the cable.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 342 G Storage
August 27, 2009 3:46:57 PM

Sturm is right. I looked up older 30 GB WD EIDE drives and the no-jumper form is the way to specify what some call the "Master with No Slave Present" or "Only drive on the IDE port".
August 31, 2009 3:35:12 PM

Thanks to the three of you for your suggestions and information. I will try to remove the jumper from the drive and see if that works. I am using the secondary port on the IDE controller, which is located on the motherboard, to operate CD-ROM and CD-RW drives. Will this present a problem?

Thank again!
m
l
a b G Storage
August 31, 2009 4:01:57 PM

Quote:
I am using the secondary port on the IDE controller, which is located on the motherboard, to operate CD-ROM and CD-RW drives. Will this present a problem?

No. If you have a cdrom(s) hooked up to it I would just unplug the cable from them and only run the hard drive on the cable. Less chance of problems.
m
l
September 15, 2009 7:16:34 PM

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I have removed the hardware address jumper on the WD drive, as suggested, and connected the drive to the primary connector on the IDE cable. I still cannot "see" the drive in "My Compter", even though it shows up in Device Manager and on the BIOS and boot-up screens. When I right-click on "My Computer" and select "Manage", I can also see the drive, identified as disk 0, showing the correct size, and with the name it has on the old computer "Drive_C". I am unable to rename the drive, which I would think would make it visible if I gave it an unused drive letter. Any ideas on how to proceed from here?

By the way, the system continues to boot properly, so I don't believe there are any conflicts resulting from having 2 drives installed anmed "Drive_C".

Thanks!
m
l
!