customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
i have this crappy laptop, hp dv9008nr. it has always been giving me problems and iv had the motherboard replaced twice. recently i noticed severe instability using ntune so i uninstalled it and the lappy has been working ok. well today i picked it up and it felt uber hot. checked the temps with speedfan and i got this.
TEMPS.jpg

this is running absolutley nothing, and my amd temp is almost 50 degrees at idle and my 6150 graphics are at 70+ idle.
so... should this worry me?

SuicideSilence

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Yes at idle those temps are too high. I Believe that laptop components have a higher heat tolerance, but those temps are just way to high. Are you leaving the laptop on carpet? That can raise temps i know.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
i shut it off for a while to let it cool and checked the temps with the vents off of the table and temps dropped by 10 degrees so now im at 40 and 60 degrees idle.

Wow, that is pretty warm. I've seen my desktop video cards hit 70c at full loads, but never at idle. Make sure your vent slots are cleaned and such. I'm sure you've probably checked this.

If you have a can of compressed air perhaps see if you can blow some dust bunnies out of the laptop, maybe there's some crud stuck in there insulating it too?

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
talked with the hp techie (who actually spoke english and knew what he was doing!) and we agreed and either the board was getting too much voltage or the hs had detached so im sending it back to them for, wait for it... FREE!!!
so ill update later.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
just got it back. the receipt said they replaced the lcd cover (the heat caused it to unglue), the motherboard and the heatsink. idles in the 50s on a table so ther is a significant improvment there. thanks for the help!