Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5Q Deluxe HDD Issue?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 22, 2008 10:59:47 PM

I have just built a pc for the first time, things seemed alright at first, but I have been having some issues.

1 x OCZ 600W StealthXStream PSU
1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz (Retail 775)
1 x OCZ 8GB PC2-6400 C5 Quad Channel Platinum Low Latency XTC 4x2GB)
1 x Asus P5Q Deluxe iP45 Socket 775 Motherboard
1 x 500Gb Hitachi SATA-2 P7K500 Hard Drive- 16MB
1 x Sony DRU-190S 20x DVDRW Retail Kit - SATA
1 x Asus ATi Radeon HD 3450 256MB PCI-E

I hae updated the Bios, but I am getting the message:

Marvell 88SE61xx Adapter Bios Version 1.1.0L70d
Adapter 1 no hard disk is detected

The Hitachi SATA-2 is recognized in the Bios and in the Windows XP x64 setup, but still this message flashes up at boot. So far I have been able to get XP to format and copy the windows files across, but I cannot go beyond this. I cannot boot up from the drive when the computer restarts.

I also have connected an IDE drive but there is no trace of this in the Bios or anywhere. Does anyone know what this means? Please help!

July 22, 2008 11:30:13 PM

If you updated your Bios to version 1003, go back to vesion 803. Bios version 1003 has been pulled because it was so buggy. If you need anymore help go to the Asus forum http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&mo...

Updating your Bios to the latest version is not always the best thing to do. In other words. "If it aint broke don't try to fix it."
July 23, 2008 12:01:23 AM

Thanks. I flashed version 803 Bios, but still the same problems.
Related resources
July 23, 2008 1:35:45 AM

That is the message from the "extra" SATA 2-port controller, the Marvell 88SE6121 chip. Those are the two ports used for Drive Xpress which are located near the panel pin connector at bthe bottom of the board. It's telling you there aren't any drives connected to it. If it bothers you disable the Marvell SATA controller.

Your Hitachi is connected to the Intel ICH10R Southbridge controller which drives the 6 ports found mid-board edge towards the end of the blue PCI-E slot. They seem to see your drive if it's listed in your bios and you can boot to it.

All you describe is perfectly normal. I see the exact same message every time I boot.
July 23, 2008 9:06:08 AM

The problem is that the message still occurs even with a PATA attached and the PATA drive does not show up in Bios, which lists spaces for 6 SATA, 2 occupied by an SATA and a DVD.

Also I still cannot boot from the SATA hard disk to complete the windows installation.
July 23, 2008 10:31:43 AM

You're probably getting that message for the eSATA port, that's controlled by that Marvell chipset. I don't know why your PATA drive doesn't show up, you might need to check in like "Basic" settings or something, since it really shouldn't show up in the list of 6 SATA ports. I usally find them in basic settings where your time is set and stuff like that.
July 23, 2008 10:56:16 AM

List of SATA ports is in the basic settings, the PATA drive is not there.

If I disable the 'Marvell IDE' controller in Bios the message does not show up.

Message or no message the problem is cannot boot from the SATA drive so I cannot install an operating system. After windows copies the files across to the drive and restarts, I cannot resume the installation.
July 25, 2008 3:28:58 AM

heh i had that problem then soon after my mobo died no beeps nothing just fans spinning no display. RMA'd and got a new one i suggest you do the same
!