Lock windows in Media Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

luccha

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Hi mates,

The company I currently work sells media server PC, sometimes with some movies and musics in it. However, we dont want the customer copying those files to another place, so I was wondering if any of you know a way to lock windows in Media Center so he cannot even leave the Windows Media Center environment.
I have already hidden some files with Folder Protect and installed Stopper.exe, which blocks copy and paste functions. But copying is still available though cmd, and the files are visible if you know exactly where they are (and type the destination path in Windows Explorer).

Hiding the Windows Start Menu and task manager would work, but I have no idea how to do it.

What do you suggest

thanks in advance,

lucas

Solution
it's the inherent nature of a PC though,, the only way you can lock down the media is if it was inside a server and the client only could access the server to stream the media,,, if there is a will, there is a way,, if you are selling a Media Center with PC hardware there is nothing you can do as you have to be able to add media as well,,,

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
i would suggest not putting in the media until customer buys the PC,, just put a sample on there from youtube or something... if they need to see something else, drop in a DVD, that should be more than enough proof of the quality of your PC

luccha

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
thanks monkeysweat for your reply, but I wanted to prevent the user from copying this media to another location (i.e. friends computer, cousins HDD...), so only the customer can access those files, and only in this PC.

I'll probably disable explorer.exe, disable taks manager and let only Windows Media Center opened, so he will only have access to the files through MCE.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
if the customer owns the PC and leaves the store with it,, there really isn't anything you can do to stop that,, what they do outside of your store with their computer is none of your responsibility.

luccha

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I see what you mean, but I'm not selling a PC, I'm selling a Media Center. It will be connected to the customers Home theater and its only purpose is to reproduce the movies and music stored in it. And I dont want to get into copyright and legal issues.

But thanks for your reply anyway.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
it's the inherent nature of a PC though,, the only way you can lock down the media is if it was inside a server and the client only could access the server to stream the media,,, if there is a will, there is a way,, if you are selling a Media Center with PC hardware there is nothing you can do as you have to be able to add media as well,,,

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.