Sign in with
Your question

i need an upgrade (939) ! HELP?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 30, 2008 12:04:15 PM

Hi guys,

i could really use some help or some confirmation on a few things!
but before i start, i'd like to say that i did search briefly through the forums, found a few along the lines of my problem, but couldnt find anything that actually answered my questions!

so, here it is,

i recently bought crysis (damn!) and i want to be able to play it and the games that are undoubtably going to follow, on a decent setting! my current rig was a beast in its day, but definitely needs a rehaul!

amd 64 3500+ 939
2gb ddr400
dfi lanparty nf4 ultra-d 939
asus geForce n6800gt (which is stock overclocked)
500w psu

ive got an option to buy a fx-60 or something on the high end of the 939 series which are selling cheap now, even if i can get a used one in good condition ($100 - $200), and maybe a new gfx card (i'd be looking somewhere near the top of the range, suggestions?)

the reason i'd look at doing that, is i really like the dfi mobo, and it would be a far cheaper sollution that purchasing new mobo, cpu, ram AND gfx card!

do you think this would sufficiently boost my performance for games such as crysis and future releases for the short term future? (18months or so)

cause then i would be spending around $400 - $500 now, and when the time comes i could just do a full upgrade to new technology thats promising to be a lot better than whats out right now, keep the gfx card i buy now, and possibly add a 2nd on sli or crossfire?

i appologise if my post is confusing, but thats where my head is right now! im confused!
thanks so much (in advance) for all your knowledge and suggestions!
they will be greatly appreciated!

tnx! aldoTeo

More about : upgrade 939

June 30, 2008 12:25:09 PM

I would sell what you have now and build a new system. I am in a worse situation than you because my pc is much older and slower (2400+) and I am just saving up from scratch. But that is my game plan anyway..

I wouldn't waste money in upgrading at this point.
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2008 12:27:43 PM

I think the RAM, Graphics card, moptherboard and processor will need changing I'm afraid.

DDR2 is a must!
Dual core is a must!
And a modern graphics card will do wonders!

Your motherboard will need changing in order to use DDR2 memory.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you'll get another 18months out of your system.
Related resources
June 30, 2008 12:33:15 PM

im in the same situation as you with a old 939 board. Just save up for a new one like im doing.
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2008 12:41:21 PM

I was kind of in the same boat as you.
I have a DFI 3200CFX DR/G that I really, really like.
Dropped in a dual core and overclocked it a little...4600X2 @ 2.8ghz
Added a BFG 8800GTS 512 OC and overclocked it to 770 mhz.
Cost me about $400, but I bought the processor a year ago and the graphic card about 4 months ago.
I don't play Crysis, but I have the played through the demo. Don't remember exactly what the settings were, but suffice to say that it looked pretty good and played very well.
Now, one word of advice here. Do this only if you can find a fast dual core for your socket 939 board at a good price. If you cannot upgrade to a fast dual core, don't waste money on your 939 platform. Might as well bite the bullet and do the whole upgrade.
There is nothing out there yet that I cannot play at decent resolution(1280x1024...my monitors limit) with most detail levels using blended settings of medium and high. Usually set the AA on 2x or 4x and leave it.
June 30, 2008 12:42:40 PM

Do you realize what a bad deal an FX-60 is for $200??? $100... not soooo terrible, but still not a value. Add to that an FX-60 is meant for OC'n so any used ones you come across have likely been pushed hard. Time to jump ship... it's sinking!
June 30, 2008 12:46:32 PM

If you can do SLI/crossfire like 2 GTX 280 or 2 AMD 4870 or something your S939 can get anouther year or 2. I would only get stuff you could move over to a newer build when that happens.
June 30, 2008 12:47:55 PM

thanks for the responses so far,
jitpublisher, i have found a few amd fx-60 x2 939 cpu's on ebay etc, that would work on my mobo, for around $200, those are dual core cpu's...but does anyone know how they compare to the current cpu's out?
June 30, 2008 12:50:18 PM

well, i have found a few that are new for about $200,
used ones are on bidding from about $20, so i could stike it luck on one of those...
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2008 12:52:14 PM

mi1ez said:
I think the RAM, Graphics card, moptherboard and processor will need changing I'm afraid.

DDR2 is a must!
Dual core is a must!
And a modern graphics card will do wonders!

Your motherboard will need changing in order to use DDR2 memory.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you'll get another 18months out of your system.

I think you are little over reactive here.
DDR2 is not THAT much faster than DDR. Not much at all in fact.
He does need a dual core processor and a big GPU upgrade.

As my other post mentioned, I am also running a socket 939 system, and I have found nothing yet that requires me to upgrade to get decent performance. Would I like better performance, of course...but it's not anywhere close right now of me laying out cash for a complete new build. They will have to release something much more demanding that Crysis before I feel that I would need to spend money for a complete upgrade. But then, I don't play on a 24 inch monitor with everything turned up as high as possible and complain when my frame rate drops below 60.
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2008 12:54:38 PM

I wouldn't spend any more money on a system that can't use DDR2 memory.

EDIT:
@JP
However if you reckon it won't make that much of a difference I'm not going to argue!
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2008 1:01:23 PM

AldoTeo said:
thanks for the responses so far,
jitpublisher, i have found a few amd fx-60 x2 939 cpu's on ebay etc, that would work on my mobo, for around $200, those are dual core cpu's...but does anyone know how they compare to the current cpu's out?

That would be about the top of the line for your motherboard, and yes it would work.
How does it compare? If you are talking AMD, a 4800X2 socket 939 CPU will benchmark FASTER than a 4800X2 AM2 processor with DDR2 memory in fact. But, there are much faster CPUS out there.
The newer AMD's like the 6000+, and the new quad cores, both AMD and Intel will simply blow it away.
If you are going to spend $200 on a CPU......DO THE ENTIRE PLATFORM CHANGE AND UPGRADE EVERYTHING. You can buy a q6600 quad core CPU for $200, that will run circles around that FX CPU over and over and over and over. These will also scale with a new GPU and get the most performance out it.
If you are going to spend over $80-$100 on a CPU, this is simply not worth it.
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2008 1:26:42 PM

heres an idea.......
get phenom x3 and a MB with ram with 4850 with that 500 + wateva u get after selling ur old CPU+MB+RAM.....u might need to add some money though...i think.......
u could get n intel system, but i think crosfire MB by intel are lot more xpensive. and so are SLI MB.
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2008 1:33:02 PM

AldoTeo said:
well, i have found a few that are new for about $200,
used ones are on bidding from about $20, so i could stike it luck on one of those...

do u realiz wat a bad deal it is to get fx62 for $200 when u can get a quad core with that money ........plus ebay cpu r used and have been OCed so they wouldn be reliable......
i don c a point on spending money on the old PC when clearly u could get a new one if ur reach a lil deeper in2 ur pocket
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2008 1:38:12 PM

I concur with others. At $200, you can move up to AM2+ system board with a 5000+BE processor.
June 30, 2008 1:52:43 PM

my worry at the moment, is if i spend the extra cash and do a full upgrade...how long are we going to have am2 platforms? lets be honest, am2 isnt really cutting it against intel at the moment, so they might have2 do something dramatic to regain the ascendancy. would that possibly mean a whole new platform? i might be getting to excited about this, but what do you guys think are the chances of that happening? the other option is upgrading to an intel pc, but then they've had their current platform for ages already...how long...
thats my major concern right now, i know i cant afford top of the range on everything...but i'd like to get pretty good stuff now, and when i have more cash, upgrade the cpu again...but if the platform changes quickly, then im in the same boat as i am now.
am i being melodramatic?
if i do just get the fastest cpu for a 939 now, i could possibly hold out until a new improved platform is released, alowing me a long span of time for possible upgrades? am i thinking to much? :)  probably, but its better to be safe than sorry :D 
June 30, 2008 2:26:21 PM

all "current platfoms" become oldies next year. Nelham will blow everything out of the water. Quad natives will rule us all.
June 30, 2008 2:32:20 PM

IM gonna put a different spin on things,

i have a

4400 X2 939
2GB RAM

and a 8800GTX i get 20-25fps in crysis with ultra settings, 1680x1050, with no AA.

just update the gfx and wait it out for nehelam
June 30, 2008 2:43:13 PM

Quad natives do? its 2 duos put together I thought?
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2008 2:53:13 PM

maximiza said:
Quad natives do? its 2 duos put together I thought?

Phenom is a native quad-core.
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2008 2:57:18 PM

Quote:
Theres always gonna be something new around the corner. You cant have that kind of viewpoint.
By the way, whats Nelham? Quad natives already exist. LOL.

Nehalem, which will be amazing :D 

Quad natives already exist, yes, but they don't offer any significant performance benefits. They perform all right, but the fastest ones right now can barely even keep up with a Q6600.
a c 159 à CPUs
June 30, 2008 3:02:18 PM

I'd get just a new video card first. I would go for the 4850 at about $150, and try some of your games before shelling out $200 or more for an complete upgrade. Some core2 duo cpus are already being closed out. Dell home had the 6850 for only $100 about 5 weeks ago. And fry's.com had the 6550 for $115. Look for a good combo at newegg or fry's.com. I live near a fry's store, and their combo specials are the lowest priced around.
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2008 3:17:21 PM

^^^ i agree wit o1die. u could try that out. speciali if if ur worried bout upcoming technology. but i should tell u this....theres always something new coming out. after nativ quad from intel, we will have six core...then eight.so u cant just sit hoping 4 the future.....coz then u will never end up buying anything but waiting...

however getin bak on topic, i don thing single core will hav much luck with crysis though.
June 30, 2008 3:17:27 PM

O yeah thats true Phenoms are 4 core native, they lack the on die cache though to be performance contenders.
June 30, 2008 3:19:11 PM

Personally I'd say look around. I have a x2 4200+ OC'd to 2.8 Ghz and it only cost me 50$ If you can find one new on the cheap it may be worth your time to pick it up along with a 4850.

The people above and below me may not agree but if you can find a deal I'd say it's worth a shot.

Also now you have a system on your hands you know you will be dropping, but is capable of playing new games well enough. You may try your hand at learning some things you my not know. Overclocking is one of those things. It's always nice to learn and go crazy with something you know you're getting rid of.

Again, this is all dependent on you finding an x2 for your 939, and also assuming that you have the ability to overclock with your current hardware.

I just wanted to point this out as an option because everyone seems to be saying that an upgrade is totally not worth it when it is very possible it may be.

I'm quiet happy with my current setup, and as I said it's just a 4200+ OC'd

*Edited for my terrible grammar, like usual :/ *
June 30, 2008 3:37:59 PM

upgrade option to "wait out" the storm.
amd x2 5000+ black edition (socket am2) = $82
gigabyte ga-ma78g ds3 mobo (socket am2+) = $90
super-talent 2 x 1gb ddr2-800 4-4-3-8 mem = $50
xigmatech s1283 HSF = $38
shipping = roughly 16 bucks....total financial outlay = $276

sell your s939 stuff, and there's the extra $$$ you need for a 4850 (or even a 4870!!)...

you can go with cheaper memory options for sure, i only mention the supertalent sticks because those timings are just sick-fast! and with the black edition 5000+ oc'ing via the multiplier, you can keep those timings because you've no need to oc the memory (unless you want to, in which case you an reasonably expect ddr2 950 @ 4-4-4-12, which is still lightning!).

best part is, you're ready for an am2+ processor, and if you're talking about waiting another 18+ months, well...at least your am2 processor will run in an am3 system, or conversely your am3 processor "should" run in am2+ (if the boardmakers keep up on the bios updates this time!!!). so you're covered either way.

you can wait for nehalem, or not...your life is your own, and i wouldn't presume to tell you how to live it. i just like to present options...
ps...if you go intel now, it won't be upgradeable to nehalem. different socket altogether, with zero backwards compatibility. sorta like s939...

but yeah...just my two cents. hope it helps!
!