new pc cpu fan not spinning

Nuk Soo AL

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Just put together a pc and when i first powered it on the screen was black and Ii noticed the cpu fan was not spinning q9300 with stock cooler. I quickly restarted the pc and noticed that it spun up for a second and then stop, is there any other reason the fan would not spin other than it being defective?Just want to make sure i'm not missing anything.Also do you think the cpu is fried was on for about a minute before i noticed it and would anything else be damaged?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Check your motherboard and make sure it is not being shorted out by improperly places standoffs.

Do they system keep booting without the fan spinning or does the entire boot process abort?

leo2kp

Distinguished
Like Shadow said, make sure everything is screwed in correctly. If you have a standoff in the wrong place, it could be shorting your board. After checking your standoffs, make sure all the power plugins are correctly placed. Then make sure your RAM and CPU are plugged in correctly. Next make sure your video card is in correctly. Remove and re-seat anything that's already plugged in just to make sure. Unplug the computer, remove the battery from the mobo and let it sit for 30s. Then replace the battery, plug it in and turn it on. If it still doesn't work, try process of elminiation to determine what's causing the problem. It may eventually wind up being PSU or motherboard failure.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Does it beep at all? Try another fan and see if it POSTs. Just plug one in to the CPU fan power, no need to put it on the heatsink at first (just don't let it run long) and see if you can get it to post.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
No, you more than likely don't have a fan problem. The fan stops because the motherboard is cutting power to the system.

Heck- with the protections built into the new Intel CPUs you can boot without a heatsink/fan at all. It wont stay on long, but it will POST.

Nuk Soo AL

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
It was a dumb oversight on my part.I forgot to plug in the 12v connector.Everything is running fine now and I wanted to thank everyone for helping.