Problem with 8800 GTS (g80)

darthblingbling

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Problem description: Whenever the graphics card is under heavy use (gaming, stress test) the screen will go black and the system will freeze up. Sometimes it can go for hours before it happens, other times it can be mere seconds. Also noteworthy is the fact that the sound will keep playing for about a minute and will then begin to stutter. But once the screen goes black the system has frozen.
This happens in all games, it doesn't seem to matter if it's a graphics intensive game. I've had it happen in skulltag!
Attempted fixes: I have tried: -
Stress testing the CPU - came out good,
Running Memtest for 8 hours - no errors,
Trying different drivers,
Using driver sweeper in safe mode to get rid of all traces of the old drivers,
Updating to the latest DirectX
Applying a new coat of thermal paste to the GPU,

Recent changes: I believe that the problem has been on going since I originally bought the card. Back when I first got the card it was a rare occurrence for this to ever happen. But as time has gone on it has started to occur more and more
Operating system: Vista 64 Ultimate
System specs:
CPU: E8400 @ 3 Ghz (would love to overclock this once I've got this problem sorted)
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR2 6400 2x256
MB: Gigabyte GA P35C-DS3R
Sound: ASUS Xonar D2
PSU Corsair HX 620W
And most importantly:
Graphics: XFX 8800GTS 320MB (g80)

The temps on the CPU are around 28C/44C idle/load
The temps on the GPU are around 53C/68C idle/load

So I don't think either are overheating
I have Googled Yes

The only thing I haven't tried is putting another card in the system, which would be the ultimate test. But unfortunately I do not know anyone with a PCI-E graphics card in which to test.

I just recently had a shot of COD4. It played fine for a while, and then the graphics glitched (flickering textures, player models turned yellow), I could keep on playing for about 5 minutes before the usual blackened screen and computer freeze.

But as stated the problem occurs in any game I play, graphic intensive or not.

Currently using the latest drivers.

So based on the information I have given I am hoping that there is enough for a diagnoses. The card hasn't been overclocked, I can't send it back to XFX as it's out of warranty and I do not have nor know anyone with a PCI-E card to test on my system. If I haven't given enough info then please ask

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
On a more serious note........

A couple of things to try:

Your PSU isn't handling the load well and causing your system to go down. You have run CPU and RAM tests which came out OK, but when you run graphic-intensive programs, (which are also typically CPU and RAM intensive) you get problems. If your PSU is old or has been subjected to brownouts or surges, you might check.

Also, I would contact the company that manufactured the card, explain the issue and ask for a replacement. RMA it back, try out the new one. You might have to wait a week or 2 before you get the replacement, but hopefully it will be the fix to the issue.

darthblingbling

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008

Cheers, the PSU is quite new and is a highly regarded one so I doubt it is the issue.

The card is factory overclocked and from what I've read on the Internet it seems that they don't always do a good job. I've dropped the freq on the core and memory to see if it helps solve these instability problems. Will post back with what I find.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
it is a problem with your video card and it would, at the outset, appear to be a problem with heat.

your only choice is to get a new card, that is the sad truth. in diagnosing a problem you must test each component and this is your last hope. you can get rivatuner / ntune and turn up the fan to max to make sure you are getting good cooling but it would appear, IMO, to be the issue of heat.

if you don't get the issue in normal use (web browsing, office, general use etc) and only under graphically challenging situations then that further narrows it down IMO.

when i could not find someone with a card to use, i used to go to a local computer parts store and buy a cheap video card, use it to test and such and then take it back for a refund (they didn't care that it was opened, it was just a 14 day time limit). that might be your only option...pony up the peso's for a cheapo card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102064) that will let you do some light gaming on older titles (battlefield 2, WoW etc) to check your findings.

good luck!

darthblingbling

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008

The temps on the GPU are less than expected of a g80 card.

But it may look as if I may need to get a new card. Should get a cheapo card as you suggest and see if it continues. It may still be a mobo problem which would be a pain in the balls.

I thought that XFX offered a lifetime warranty. Call them and see how you do. If no joy, consider this an opportunity to upgrade your vga card. Buy it from someplace that will accept a return if it does not work.

TRENDING THREADS