Sign in with
Your question

Unknow Device Manager

Last response: in Windows XP
September 21, 2010 5:59:57 PM

i have onboard sound it stoped working i put in a pci sound card the onboard sound still is being detected and is conflicting with something and making my computer freeze during games i cannot remove the device from the manager
computer specs
CPU: intel core 2 duo 2.5g
MOBO: evga 730i
RAM: 3gigs dd2
VIDEO: geforce 8500 gt

[/img]

other devices and unknown devices are one in the same

More about : unknow device manager

a b \ Driver
September 21, 2010 6:06:14 PM

If don't want to use onboard sound, go into the BIOS options of your computer, there should be a place you can disable it. Usually in a place called "onboard devices" or something similar.
September 21, 2010 6:11:14 PM

i have disable that as well and still can not uninstall the unknown device
Related resources
September 21, 2010 6:46:30 PM

List the cards you have in PCI slots.
Expand the sound video and game controllers what's listed?
You can disable the unknown device.
How may network devices do you have?
September 21, 2010 11:29:03 PM

thanks for your replys i was able to get the unknown device under network connections to go away. with that program it said both of the devices in check were from the same souce the onboard audio i have it disabled in bios i have tryed uninstalling it but everytime i restart windows trys to read it i have tryed to just leave it as disable but still get this freezeing problem

a b \ Driver
September 22, 2010 6:43:10 AM

It appears your conflict is between the on-board Nvidia MCP 73 and the Sound Blaster Adigy.
Sound Blaster will not appear as the culprit because of the way they handle interrupts (totalitarian).

If given the choice, you should keep the Nvidia sound and dump the Sound Blaster card.

Trash the Sound Blaster, check BIOS to enable on-board sound and any ac97 type devices also.
If your sound doesn't work from the on-board system, look at device manager, under System Devices, for the SMBus (or Nvidia SMBus). If it is missing, here is Not where device manager will complain, it will complain exactly as you are experiencing (unknown device).
September 22, 2010 7:57:17 PM

my on board sound doesnt work thats why i got the pci sound i checked under system devices. i didnt see anything with SMBus in it. if i get rid of the pci sound and drivers will the freezes stop?
a b \ Driver
September 22, 2010 9:29:42 PM

shrinex said:
my on board sound doesnt work thats why i got the pci sound i checked under system devices. i didnt see anything with SMBus in it. if i get rid of the pci sound and drivers will the freezes stop?

The missing SMBus will not let your on-board sound work, or even be properly detected. It's not a real complex thing, the SMBus, but a lot of things live and die by it. Nvidia like ATI, doesn't automatically install it (wierd eh?). It is part of the chipset drivers. You need to look at your de-compressed chipset drivers and find and install it yourself by right-clicking the unknown PCI device and when device manager ask where it is, browse to where you found it (it has it's own folder in the de-compressed files).

When the SMBus driver is installed, your unknown PCI device will disappear. The SMBus is now located in "System Devices" of device manager.
September 22, 2010 10:40:48 PM

tigsounds said:
The missing SMBus will not let your on-board sound work, or even be properly detected. It's not a real complex thing, the SMBus, but a lot of things live and die by it. Nvidia like ATI, doesn't automatically install it (wierd eh?). It is part of the chipset drivers. You need to look at your de-compressed chipset drivers and find and install it yourself by right-clicking the unknown PCI device and when device manager ask where it is, browse to where you found it (it has it's own folder in the de-compressed files).

When the SMBus driver is installed, your unknown PCI device will disappear. The SMBus is now located in "System Devices" of device manager.

Thanks for helping, i tryed that and it still does not recognized the device i took out the pci card and tryed again i installed the reltek drivers and tryed again
a b \ Driver
September 22, 2010 11:01:50 PM

That board does use the SMbus. If you don't see in device manager "System Devices" section, it is not installed and you can expect a world of problems with that board. I wonder if you have the correct mainboard drivers.

Once expanded they use 174MB of space for latest version 20.08.

The "readme.txt" file reads as follows:

Quote:
This WinXP 32-bit MCP7A nForce driver package consists of the following components:

Ethernet Driver (v67.86.2) WHQL
NAM (v.67.93)
SataIDE Driver (v10.3.0.42) WHQL
RAID Driver (v10.3.0.42) WHQL
RAIDTOOL (v10.3.0.42)
SMBus (v4.69) WHQL
SMU (v1.61) WHQL
GPU Driver (v178.33) WHQL
- PhysX v.8.10.13
AwyMode driver (v.6.0.6000.107)WHQL
Installer (v6.14)

Known issues:

Uninstaller:

1. When using 15 pin HDMI monitor after uninstalling display driver screen may go blank.
This will happen when the NV driver is removed and the ITB VGA driver chooses the resolution
that may not supported by the monitor. To go around this issue: a) during uninstall set the
resolution to what it was at the time of install, or b) set resolution to 800x600

2. A reboot is recommended after uninstalling components

PhysX:

1. PhysX can not be uninstalled by "Remove all NVIDIA drivers, including Display" in "Add or Remove Programs"
in "Control Panel". Remove it via PhysX uninstaller
September 22, 2010 11:36:28 PM

i was useing the drivers that came with it. i went to the evga site and got 20.09 drivers and tryed the same step and still doesnt read it.
a b \ Driver
September 22, 2010 11:58:50 PM

20.09... that's weird. I got 20.08 just a couple hours ago. Check the "readme.txt" file.

Take out the soundblaster card and see what happens. I don't like those things. They were going to get one tied to a brick through their office window, but going to the Santa Clara Valley was just too far away for me, so the nearest dumpster had to do.

I never heard back if enabling the view of non-existent devices showed your sound card or not in device manager.

Also, does your sound card drivers and applications appear in add/remove programs?

Also II, if you have the downloaded drivers expanded, burn them to a CD and then let device manager go looking there for drivers when you try the "update Driver" for bum/unknown devices as it will look at everything on the disk to try to find the driver, (better than most humans can do, we may not know where to browse to, but windows knows the right driver when it sees it).

If the drivers are not to be found expanded, get Universal Extractor
HERE to expand the driver package to a folder in your hard drive. The method it suggest works for this driver package.
September 23, 2010 12:58:09 AM

tigsounds said:
I never heard back if enabling the view of non-existent devices showed your sound card or not in device manager.

you mean in device properties? if so shows all Unknown/Not available and says drivers are not installed (28). i burned it let the wizard do all the work and still cannot install. I have kept the sound card out. The reltek drivers do show up in control panel aswell as the soundblaster, again thanks for helping really appreciated.
September 23, 2010 1:48:52 AM

I uninstalled all my chipset drivers and soundblaster. I then installed only the chipset it found the sm bus driver it gets renamed as nvidia nfocre pci system management but still the unknown pci device is there
a b \ Driver
September 23, 2010 3:17:49 AM

I've never seen this get renamed, but it could have been renamed...
Go back to Device Manager yet one more time and look....
I guess I really suspect the SMBus because it can wreck havoc on a system, people search for weeks for the answer and can't find it.

Edit: The device list is alphabetical, so look down a ways for "SMBus"
September 23, 2010 3:56:04 AM

Its not named like that there. Only reason i said it got renamed is when i uninstalled all the drivers and reinstalled them it said sm bus contoler found.(maybe not even it) and when i installed the driver it added nvidia pci system management

a b \ Driver
September 23, 2010 4:18:28 AM

I've done more research, You are correct. Your SMBus is: PCI\VEN_10de&DEV_01b4.DeviceDesc "NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management"

The mystery goes to the BIOS. I'm looking for a screen-shot of it, page by page, now. No, I don't give up easily.
September 23, 2010 4:42:08 AM

i see lol, I updated my BIOS, I tried to delete the device in the registry and it comes back.
a b \ Driver
September 23, 2010 6:28:08 AM

Here we go. Only 2 places that can cause grief in the BIOS... You probably have it already set correctly, but who knows until we find out...

a b \ Driver
September 23, 2010 6:57:45 AM

Download and install THIS
September 23, 2010 7:09:11 PM

My BIOS is setup like that i changed to manual to see what would happen, Nothing. The download when it loads says it cannot find any drivers that match my system
a b \ Driver
September 23, 2010 7:23:34 PM

Make a new folder in your hard drive.
Use the "Universal Extractor" I supplied the link to earlier to extract the file:

hdaudio_1.00.00.59_xp_vista_win7.exe you just downloaded. The extractor is going to process it but give an error warning that there is a 7-Zip cab file that it can't open... No problem, it does extract what you need anyway.

After extraction, go to the new folder you made and see that there are many files extracted and one folder :) 
that has your HD Audio drivers expanded.

Go to device manger and select to update driver for the bad PCI device you have and browse to the HD Audio folder in your new folder so it can find the HD drivers.

Maybe this will finally do it?
September 23, 2010 8:47:09 PM

Yah unfortunately i get the cannot install error
a b \ Driver
September 23, 2010 9:18:20 PM

OK, but I'm not done yet, or, there's no fat lady singing around here.

That chip may also be a Realtek alc662, I say "may" because I have not had this confirmed yet.
Telephones are wonderful things, but one must wait for a call back.

If it is a Realtek, then another driver is what is really needed. Getting a company to fess-up to what they really used is as hard as getting this thing to work.

I'll keep looking, check back in a few hours or so. This thing is a "project" for me, and until you say you smell smoke coming from the chip, there is still hope of a fix for this thing. There is a reason why it won't work, and it can be found.
September 23, 2010 11:39:46 PM

Thanks, I appreciate all the help was looking on the web for a week till i gave in for some help.
a b \ Driver
September 24, 2010 7:11:59 AM

Progress....

It is a Realtek alc662. Now I question why evga said to download the file that they did, as it was wrong, but they say it's for your MB and only your model.... jerks.

Now we come to the place where there are two possible drivers, either one should work, one is the latest but unconfirmed, the other is confirmed. Care to roll the dice? I myself would go with the older one.

The older one is 61 MB. The newer one is only 30 MB. I can only guess the newer one doesn't have the application with it.

The older one, from LG (of all people)
HERE

The newer one from Realtek, choose either green one's after going through their gateway, HERE

And of course, cross your fingers. :??: 
September 24, 2010 9:17:55 AM

Nope :(  I installed and direct device those files.
September 24, 2010 10:23:46 AM

well some new insight into the problem to make a long story short. My motherboard isent the 730i but the 7150 630i(they still run off the same chipset)i had a program tell me it was the 730i till i had done some research and checked it though the boot up. BTW sorry about that, cant believe for quite some time i thought it was a different motherboard.
a b \ Driver
September 25, 2010 2:32:32 AM

I looked at your screen-shot again of your system devices.

You also don't have the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Sound installed yet. Missed that one.. oops.[:tigsounds:3]

This is yet one more hoop to jump through.

You have a PM, read it soon.

October 8, 2010 8:32:36 PM

*FIX* Hi thanks for all the help after a short vacation. I came at it again. I downloaded the zip file of the realtek drivers once i exact them i searched in the folder for a file named kb888111xpsp2. Next i exacted the files from kb888111xpsp2 with winrar to there own folder. Then i went into device manager, went to the unknown device, update drivers, and make it look into the folder where kb888111xpsp2 files are exacted to, specifically commonfiles.
!