Memory management BSODs - q6600 OC

mcmonsterkill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I've been trying to OC my q6600 on my p5q-e mobo. I can get 3.0 stable forever, but as soon as I try to get to 3.2 I start getting "memory management" BSODs out the wazoo. I've tried all kinds of settings for my RAM and it really doesn't seem to make a bit of difference. I'm using g skill 2x2 ddr2-1066. I've been trying all of this with a 9x multi... would switching help in anyway?

I'm assuming the problem is the RAM. Do I need to run memtest at this point or could it be some setting that I am overlooking in BIOS that is causing this?

I know I probably didn't give enough info, I'm a pretty big noob when it comes to overclocking. I will gladly provide more info if you guys tell me what is relevant.

mcmonsterkill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Well Ive done some searching on the internet. Someone suggested that this can be caused by driver issues. I just recently had some trouble with my video card driver and did a reinstall. I guess ill try to redo that and make sure I take a look at all the other drivers when I get home.

mcmonsterkill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Got home and checked the device manager. No yellow flags so I thought I would do a quick test of RAM. Reset all settings to default in BIOS and set my RAM to stock settings. 5-5-5-15 2.1V 1066 (g skill ddr2-1066). It failed almost immediately. edit: I used the windows memory diagnostic tool that comes with Vista.

My conclusion, G skill RAM sucks. After reading the newegg reviews I can see that plenty of people who actually know what they are talking about came to the same conclusion.

Right now Im running a 3.2 GHz OC with my RAM at 1:1 (712MHz?) 5-5-5-18 2.05V. Stable so far with prime small FFT. Hopefully it'll hold up to a blend test after I finish this. To bad I paid for 1066 ram.

How much performance am I losing since I can't run my RAM at the rated speeds?

mcmonsterkill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Well Ive got my comp running a 3.3 GHz OC with 1:1 734MHz RAM (ZZzz...), 12 hours prime small fft stable.

One thing I noticed is that there are several options in BIOS for RAM that say if you disable them they may increase RAM overclocking potential. Maybe If I had messed with those options I could have gotten 1066. I didn't really understand that 1066 RAM is 800 that is supposed to be OCd. Maybe my RAM isn't junk afterall.

I think im just going to call it good enough for now though.