WD Caviar black or green

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Hi, I wanted to know what you could recommend for me, because I was searching for a new hard drive and I stumbled upon these two choices. The caviar green is the same low price as black and uses much less power than black, but I believe that black has more raw power. What can you tell me, I cant look at newegg because they dont do service for puerto rico, so I'm going with tiger.

tosh9i

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
if you want storage space, get the green one, which will probably last longer.

if you plan on putting your OS system on it, then get the black one, which is faster.

leo2kp

Distinguished
I believe black drives have a 5-year warranty, and the green ones have a 3-year warranties. So the black is faster and will last longer, but will use more energy.

Yep, it's basically power vs. performance. Buy a black if you want something fast, buy a green if you want to minimize power and/or heat dissipation.

I've standardized on the green drives for fanless external USB enclosures because they run so much cooler than conventional drives.

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
also the greens are pretty quiet... blacks are not loud... but i can "hear" them greens are barely audible..