Sharp LC-32GA5U - How do I get rid of "Cable 3"???

Hi,

I just bought a Sharp 32 inch LCD TV. I have digital cable through
comcast.

The TV is set to channel 3, and I surf with the cable remote. Every
time I change the channel though, the TV shows the "Cable 3" in the
right hand corner and takes a while before it goes away.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get rid of this. Been
through the manual, and I can't find reference to this.

Anyone know how to deal with this?

Thanks,

CCW
11 answers Last reply
More about sharp 32ga5u cable

    Check the owner's manual about changing or removing channel labels. May or
    may-not apply to your specific set. The owner's manual, the book that
    actually came in the original shipping container with the set, will inform
    you if there is approvable way to accomplish this.

    chingcwa@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just bought a Sharp 32 inch LCD TV. I have digital cable through
    > comcast.
    >
    > The TV is set to channel 3, and I surf with the cable remote. Every
    > time I change the channel though, the TV shows the "Cable 3" in the
    > right hand corner and takes a while before it goes away.
    >
    > For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get rid of this. Been
    > through the manual, and I can't find reference to this.
    >
    > Anyone know how to deal with this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > CCW

    I think that you will always have that "Cable 3" thing if you have it
    connected through the "TV Mode". If you connect your TV through
    component video or HDMI, you wouldn't have that problem.

    "SayItAintSo" <WAP007@overtheair.com> wrote in message
    > chingcwa@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just bought a Sharp 32 inch LCD TV. I have digital cable through
    >> comcast.
    >>
    >> The TV is set to channel 3, and I surf with the cable remote. Every
    >> time I change the channel though, the TV shows the "Cable 3" in the
    >> right hand corner and takes a while before it goes away.
    >>
    >> For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get rid of this. Been
    >> through the manual, and I can't find reference to this.
    >>
    >> Anyone know how to deal with this?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> CCW
    >>

    > I think that you will always have that "Cable 3" thing if you have it
    > connected through the "TV Mode". If you connect your TV through component
    > video or HDMI, you wouldn't have that problem.

    Comcast supplies free component video cables. If Comcast installed the box,
    you probably have two connections between the box and the TV, antenna and
    component video to either INPUT1 or INPUT2. Push the "INPUT" button on the
    top of the TV to cycle through all the choices. You should get a much
    sharper picture on one of these than you get on the RF CH3 . My daughter has
    a GA series Sharp, and that is how the guy hooked it up.

    Since you are not changing channels on the TV, the CBL3 lable is probably
    output by the box. If there are no connections between the box and the TV
    other than the RF cable, they did not give you an HD box. Yell and scream at
    Comcast. If you already had digital cable before getting the Aquos, you need
    a new box. Actually, you would get the best picture with a DVI cable, but
    that would cost you $80, and you would have to buy it yourself.

    Tam

    Tam/WB2TT wrote:

    > Comcast supplies free component video cables. If Comcast installed the box,
    > you probably have two connections between the box and the TV, antenna and
    > component video to either INPUT1 or INPUT2. Push the "INPUT" button on the
    > top of the TV to cycle through all the choices. You should get a much
    > sharper picture on one of these than you get on the RF CH3 . My daughter has
    > a GA series Sharp, and that is how the guy hooked it up.

    First off, I think the original poster says that he has "digital cable".
    If he hasn't already done so, he needs to call Comcast and have them
    install an HD set top box first. Then, he can go ahead and follow the
    instructions you have above :-)

    > Since you are not changing channels on the TV, the CBL3 lable is probably
    > output by the box. If there are no connections between the box and the TV
    > other than the RF cable, they did not give you an HD box. Yell and scream at
    > Comcast. If you already had digital cable before getting the Aquos, you need
    > a new box. Actually, you would get the best picture with a DVI cable, but
    > that would cost you $80, and you would have to buy it yourself.

    Oooops, that's what I just said. Yes, he needs a new box...an HD box.
    And, yes, I agree that a DVI cable would be best, that is, if the HD box
    has a DVI connection.

    I suggest that the original poster get an HD set top box with DVI and
    connect it to the HDMI port (DVI to HDMI) of his/her Sharp Aquos. That
    would be the optimum connection.

    > Tam/WB2TT wrote:
    >>
    >> Comcast supplies free component video cables. If Comcast installed the
    >> box, you probably have two connections between the box and the TV,
    >> antenna and component video to either INPUT1 or INPUT2. Push the "INPUT"
    >> button on the top of the TV to cycle through all the choices. You should
    >> get a much sharper picture on one of these than you get on the RF CH3 .
    >> My daughter has a GA series Sharp, and that is how the guy hooked it up.
    >
    > First off, I think the original poster says that he has "digital cable".
    > If he hasn't already done so, he needs to call Comcast and have them
    > install an HD set top box first. Then, he can go ahead and follow the
    > instructions you have above :-)
    >

    >> Since you are not changing channels on the TV, the CBL3 lable is probably
    >> output by the box. If there are no connections between the box and the TV
    >> other than the RF cable, they did not give you an HD box. Yell and scream
    >> at Comcast. If you already had digital cable before getting the Aquos,
    >> you need a new box. Actually, you would get the best picture with a DVI
    >> cable, but that would cost you $80, and you would have to buy it
    >> yourself.
    >
    > Oooops, that's what I just said. Yes, he needs a new box...an HD box.
    > And, yes, I agree that a DVI cable would be best, that is, if the HD box
    > has a DVI connection.

    Problem we ran into is that the guy only had a POS 3100HD box on the truck.
    No DVI. Also, the 3100 does not support zoom and stretch; can't do it on the
    TV, because it thinks it is getting a 1920 x 1080 picture. Comcast guy
    agreed that DVI gives a better picture.

    Tam

    Tam/WB2TT wrote:

    > Problem we ran into is that the guy only had a POS 3100HD box on the truck.
    > No DVI. Also, the 3100 does not support zoom and stretch; can't do it on the
    > TV, because it thinks it is getting a 1920 x 1080 picture. Comcast guy
    > agreed that DVI gives a better picture.
    >
    > Tam

    I have a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD box (free from Comcast, and a $5
    monthly fee) and it's connected from DVI (cable box) to HDMI (Sharp
    Aquos) and it works perfect. The only channels that you cannot adjust
    the zoom and stretch are the actual HD channels (ABCHD, CBSHD, NBCHD,
    InHD, InHD2, CinemaxHD, TNTHD, etc). The other SD channels such as
    Discovery Channel, TLC, TVland, Cartoon Network, etc. and all the other
    broadcast channels that are NOT full HD can be zoomed and stretched.

    Beware, though...the only way you can get any sound from a DVI to HDMI
    connection is to use the Optical TOSlink of the cable box to a Dolby
    Digital receiver with an optical connection.

    > Tam/WB2TT wrote:
    >
    >> Problem we ran into is that the guy only had a POS 3100HD box on the
    >> truck. No DVI. Also, the 3100 does not support zoom and stretch; can't do
    >> it on the TV, because it thinks it is getting a 1920 x 1080 picture.
    >> Comcast guy agreed that DVI gives a better picture.
    >>
    >> Tam
    >
    > I have a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD box (free from Comcast, and a $5
    > monthly fee) and it's connected from DVI (cable box) to HDMI (Sharp Aquos)
    > and it works perfect. The only channels that you cannot adjust the zoom
    > and stretch are the actual HD channels (ABCHD, CBSHD, NBCHD, InHD, InHD2,
    > CinemaxHD, TNTHD, etc). The other SD channels such as Discovery Channel,
    > TLC, TVland, Cartoon Network, etc. and all the other broadcast channels
    > that are NOT full HD can be zoomed and stretched.
    >
    > Beware, though...the only way you can get any sound from a DVI to HDMI
    > connection is to use the Optical TOSlink of the cable box to a Dolby
    > Digital receiver with an optical connection.
    >

    >>>I suggest that the original poster get an HD set top box with DVI and
    >>>connect it to the HDMI port (DVI to HDMI) of his/her Sharp Aquos. That
    >>>would be the optimum connection.

    Thanks for the info. New box is coming on Tuesday. The 3250 looks good. I
    had actually downloaded the user manual for it. (There is none for the
    3100). DVI is no proble, the set has both DVI and HDMI inputs. Had to buy a
    funky audio cable for the DVI port, because it needs a mini phone plug on
    the TV end. As you point out, can't use HDMI on this TV because of the audio
    requirement. Some sets I looked at will let you map an RCA audio jack to
    HDMI (Sony CRT and JVC LCD).

    Tam

    Tam/WB2TT wrote:

    > Thanks for the info. New box is coming on Tuesday. The 3250 looks good. I
    > had actually downloaded the user manual for it. (There is none for the
    > 3100). DVI is no proble, the set has both DVI and HDMI inputs. Had to buy a
    > funky audio cable for the DVI port, because it needs a mini phone plug on
    > the TV end. As you point out, can't use HDMI on this TV because of the audio
    > requirement. Some sets I looked at will let you map an RCA audio jack to
    > HDMI (Sony CRT and JVC LCD).
    >
    > Tam

    You know, I actually had all sorts of problems when I tried connecting
    from DVI to DVI on my TV, and that's why I ended up with the DVI to HDMI
    connection. I wish you luck on connecting it properly! I think there
    are TWO different types of DVI cables from that cablebox to the Sharp
    TV. You may have to find the right cable through the net or you can
    probably find one in RadioShack.

    As for the audio cable for DVI, you can use one of those miniplug (1/8
    plug?) to regular RCA audio and connect it to your receiver. I'm not
    sure if you're gonna get a full surround sound out of that connection,
    though. RCA audio jack to HDMI? Hmmm...

    At any rate, good luck!

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:27:05 -0400, SayItAintSo
    <WAP007@overtheair.com> wrote:

    >Tam/WB2TT wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks for the info. New box is coming on Tuesday. The 3250 looks good. I
    >> had actually downloaded the user manual for it. (There is none for the
    >> 3100). DVI is no proble, the set has both DVI and HDMI inputs. Had to buy a
    >> funky audio cable for the DVI port, because it needs a mini phone plug on
    >> the TV end. As you point out, can't use HDMI on this TV because of the audio
    >> requirement. Some sets I looked at will let you map an RCA audio jack to
    >> HDMI (Sony CRT and JVC LCD).
    >>
    >> Tam
    >
    >You know, I actually had all sorts of problems when I tried connecting
    >from DVI to DVI on my TV, and that's why I ended up with the DVI to HDMI
    >connection. I wish you luck on connecting it properly! I think there
    >are TWO different types of DVI cables from that cablebox to the Sharp
    >TV. You may have to find the right cable through the net or you can
    >probably find one in RadioShack.
    >
    >As for the audio cable for DVI, you can use one of those miniplug (1/8
    >plug?) to regular RCA audio and connect it to your receiver. I'm not
    >sure if you're gonna get a full surround sound out of that connection,
    >though.

    You get "Dolby Surround" when the material is coded that way on the
    two channel sound (and it normally is when the material includes DD
    5.1 sound). Dolby Surround is a true sourround sound (of the little
    older type) that you decode with Dolby Prologic (2/2x).
    This type of sound needs two channels and works with both digital and
    analogue connections.
    Multichannel AC3 such as DD 5.1 requires a digital connection.

    >RCA audio jack to HDMI? Hmmm...

    I'm sure it means that he sets up the HDMI input on the TV to use
    audio from an analogue input.
    /Jan

    "Jan B" <nospam@nospam.se> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:27:05 -0400, SayItAintSo
    > <WAP007@overtheair.com> wrote:
    >

    >>RCA audio jack to HDMI? Hmmm...
    >
    > I'm sure it means that he sets up the HDMI input on the TV to use
    > audio from an analogue input.
    > /Jan

    I looked at a JVC LCD set. They show using a DVI to HDMI adapter cable to
    conmnect the DVI output of a cable box to HDMI on the set. They then connect
    the audio out from the box to AV1 on the TV. The Sony ( or was it
    Panasonic), I think, actually had audio jacks next to the HDMI input.

    Tam

    one way to get rid of it is to press "display" on your remote.

HDTV TV Sharp Cable Home Theatre