XP pro firewall question

Howdy all,

If I want to use a third party software firewall like Kerio or Sygate...or
whatever...do I need to disable (or uninstall) XP's firewall? If so how?

TNX
5 answers Last reply
More about firewall question

    Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    > Howdy all,
    >
    > If I want to use a third party software firewall like Kerio or Sygate...or
    > whatever...do I need to disable (or uninstall) XP's firewall? If so how?
    >
    > TNX

    You don't _have_ to disable the built-in firewall, but it would be
    a good idea.

    Running two software firewalls simultaneously is unnecessary and
    can sometimes cause conflicts, possibly negating the protection of both.
    In any event, having two firewalls running simultaneously is an
    unnecessary drain on system resources.

    Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Off.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    That's what I thought...thanks...I'll just disable it if I switch to
    something else.

    Any thoughts on decent (not cutesy) firewall? I'd used Sygate for several
    years and it seemed ok...

    Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    > That's what I thought...thanks...I'll just disable it if I switch to
    > something else.
    >
    > Any thoughts on decent (not cutesy) firewall? I'd used Sygate for several
    > years and it seemed ok...

    Until I switched to WinXPx64 and had to find a 64-bit firewall, I used
    Sygate, as well. I never had any problems with it, and it never failed
    to provide the protection expected.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    I use Sygate. Others whose opinions I respect have recommended Kerio.

    My thought on disabling the firewalls is that it'll become very difficult to
    figure out where a problem lies if you have to balance one firewall off
    against another. I've turned off the Windows Firewall while using Sygate and
    have had no problems (and my system is online 24 hours a day and is also an
    FTP server).

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    > > That's what I thought...thanks...I'll just disable it if I switch to
    > > something else.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts on decent (not cutesy) firewall? I'd used Sygate for several
    > > years and it seemed ok...
    > >

    > Until I switched to WinXPx64 and had to find a 64-bit firewall, I used
    > Sygate, as well. I never had any problems with it, and it never failed
    > to provide the protection expected.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    ZA, at least, turns off WF automatically. Just in case that ZA does not
    start, WF defaults to ON. So, at least for ZA, you do not have to turn WF
    off - since ZA will do it.
    Michael

    "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I use Sygate. Others whose opinions I respect have recommended Kerio.
    >
    > My thought on disabling the firewalls is that it'll become very difficult
    > figure out where a problem lies if you have to balance one firewall off
    > against another. I've turned off the Windows Firewall while using Sygate
    > and
    > have had no problems (and my system is online 24 hours a day and is also
    > an
    > FTP server).
    >
    > "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
    >
    >> Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    >> > That's what I thought...thanks...I'll just disable it if I switch to
    >> > something else.
    >> >
    >> > Any thoughts on decent (not cutesy) firewall? I'd used Sygate for
    >> > several
    >> > years and it seemed ok...
    >> >

    >> Until I switched to WinXPx64 and had to find a 64-bit firewall, I used
    >> Sygate, as well. I never had any problems with it, and it never failed
    >> to provide the protection expected.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Bruce Chambers
    >>
    >> Help us help you:
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    >> both at once. - RAH

Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP