Installing Q6600 into GA-P35-DS3L. Scared!

Tron87

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Hey guys. I have done most of the other parts of upgrading computer(vid cards and drives) but not installing CPU's.

I'm holding a $220 chip in my hand and I am poopin my pants.
Firstly, should I expect a click into position when pressing the CPU down?

The mobo instructions suggest thermal paste but the CPU instructions do not mention it. What is that about?

I am terrified to press the lever back int position.

Is there just a details explaination of what I should expect with these two pieces of equipment?

Thank for any help.

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
no clink, just lay the processor into the socket gently and lock it into place. yes, you need to apply thermal paste to the heat sink before you put it on the cpu. search around the forum or google....some instructions will be easy to find.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
alot of force, not to be confused with lots of force. Just remember there are springs on the cooler, its gonna fill like your kinda killin it, but your not, just get the clips all locked in and your good.

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
^ A little bit yes, there is definitely some resistance when pressing down the lever. First time you tend to be a little too careful with things since you don't really know how they work. It'll be fine, if you are using the stock cooler there should already be a thermal pad on it, you can use it like that... but most of us here would recommend getting some arctic silver thermal compound to get better cooling performance out of your CPU cooler.

Tron87

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I ntoice the pre applied thermal paste now. I will maybe gut another cooler later and some Arctic Silver but now I am too excited to fire the thing up. Going to press the lever now. Wish me luck.