Can't boot after installing 2nd memory module

tallone69

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Hi,

I was running vista with 2 GB of ram. After installing matching two new 2 GB modules, I can't boot. It suddenly reboots just after the windows startup progress bar kicks in. Computer works again after removing 2nd module.

Is this a matter of flaky RAM? It's true that this computer used to work with 2 + 1 GB of RAM.

c.

Apparently so, if it boots without the 2nd stick. Tried booting with just the stick you removed, or switching the two of them ?

Are both sets the same voltage and settings ? You might try increasing the voltage a small amount -- Some MOBOs lose a bit of the voltage when running with all Ram slots filled and giving them a small increase in the voltage setting will get it working correctly (NOTE: there is always a possibility of damage when increasing voltage so make the changes in small increments and test each time.)

tallone69

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
ksiemb: both of the new modules work when used individually. they dont work together, for some reason.

JDFan: im not sure how to adjust voltage. i looked thru the bios but dont see a page for this. will research...

thanks for ideas...

tallone69

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
update:

i found out that all of the capacitors on this computer were bad -- bulging or leaking. this may be related to the odd behavior of the computer and inability to access the memory stick.