Sign in with
Your question

Beat my failure rate!

Last response: in Systems
May 22, 2008 6:57:23 AM

Hey everybody beat this score and no i have not overclocked any of these chips or installed them incorrectly. No it is not the motherboard or anything i've done to the cards or screens.

On purchace from a major retail group my setup consisted of these componants. asus 7900gs, e6400, samsung syncmaster 931c, 500gb samsung sata 2 hd, dvd rw, 2 sticks of 1gb kingston ram and a asus p5b motherboard.

So far on its 4th ever boot my 7900gs kicked it and died for unknown reasons, i contacted the retailer and they replaced it. One week later i had my new card in and was ready to go, long story short my syncmaster 931c only showed pure white. I contacted the supplyer and they replaced it. Funnly about a week after i got my new one back it had the same fault. I contacted the supplyer again, by now i'm seriously peeved at the fact so many things have gone wrong. Apparently this fault is a manufacturing problem and is very rare, so i get a new one with new warrenty.

11 month later and 1 day after the warrenty on my 7900 expires, my 7900 expires too. By now i am cursing my bad luck and pitch out and buy a gigabyte 8800gt 512mb. In all its glory i was able to tackle most of the new games untill a week later guess what? The card failed, so we put it in my friends machine and it blows up, the card has a burning hole the size of a thumbtack head on it. So i ring the supplyer and they repair it apparently. The card comes back with the hole still in it. Apparently the repairer missed it. So i send the card back and it is apparently repaired.

2 months later my machine crashes and i receive the 1 long 3 short beeps. I test and find it is the card that is at fault. So i ring the supplyer and they are giving me a new one. They have also asked me to send my computer to their testing labs because apparently my failure rate is unimaginable and they want to know whats going on. Later today right before i was about to send it away my screen turns white again.

If any of you out there can beat this failure streak please let me know so i dont feel so alone T_T

Regards Parswaddle

More about : beat failure rate

May 22, 2008 7:23:39 AM

That's true, you do fail a lot.

That said, you might want to have your PSU looked at. A first step would be to post your system specs, especially PSU information (brand, model, wattage, amperage). Another thing to check out is the actual wiring in the house. Maybe a power strip or socket is bad, or something else down the line. I had a friend in NZ who told me her PC kept failing. It ended up being the house power.

OH, and...

"No it is not the motherboard or anything i've done to the cards or screens."

You're going to have to do a better job at proving that one ;) 
May 22, 2008 7:28:08 AM

Whoops my bad, i had a 450w newman? psu but after the first few failures i decided to bump it up a notch and perchaced myself a 600w near top of the line... somthing or rather. I have tested with the old one and i needed more power for the 8800. The 600w is definatly fine but it still had 3 failures.
Related resources
May 22, 2008 8:09:42 AM

Brand, model, wattage, amperage? ;) 
May 22, 2008 8:44:58 AM

Well first off i havnt done anything to the cards or screen i even had a lesson on how to install these things properly and all the cards have failed in other motherboards plus the report from the supplyer states its a known card fault and not somthing likley caused by a faulty killer motherboard. I had one which killed sticks of ram awhile back :p  and as for the PSU its a Cool Master eXtreme Power 600w Rp-600-pcar ATX 12V 600W 193-253V input voltage.

also i think i'm going to try to bump my 2.13ghz processor to 2.5ghz :S nothing else can possibley fail!
May 22, 2008 8:49:14 AM

lol omg. im sorry, i was laughing so hard cuz i dun think this was possible...

good luck in ur future endeavors :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
May 22, 2008 11:23:38 AM

Failures are caused by:

Environment - wall socket power, amount, stability etc, aswell as heat/cold, humidity etc
End User issues - force used to install, mis-handling items, static etc
Wrong selection of components to suit etc (insufficent/cheap rubbish power units etc)

theres no way you had all that "bad luck"
May 22, 2008 11:37:57 AM

well i'm fairly sure seeing as i've moved computer around the place and the fact we have another computer using same specs minus the new psu and 8800 and they havn't failed. installings been all by the book and everythings compatible and all name brands. But i'm open to suggestions? I've built 2 computers before this and nothing failed. I live in canberra, average temps indoors are siting at 22-26c and its not humid at all "in australia".
a b B Homebuilt system
May 22, 2008 12:02:14 PM

spoonysam said:
well i'm fairly sure seeing as i've moved computer around the place and the fact we have another computer using same specs minus the new psu and 8800 and they havn't failed. installings been all by the book and everythings compatible and all name brands. But i'm open to suggestions? I've built 2 computers before this and nothing failed. I live in canberra, average temps indoors are siting at 22-26c and its not humid at all "in australia".

Heh I'm an hour from Brisbane working in retail when i see all sorts of crap all the time - when it rains for the first time in months, thats enough to make us $10k in repairs - cheap crap psu's wont start, ram sockets become touchy etc - environment.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 22, 2008 12:56:24 PM

Check the wiring of your house using a $5.00 tester that you plug in the sockets. See if anything is crosswired.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2008 12:21:25 AM

evongugg said:
Check the wiring of your house using a $5.00 tester that you plug in the sockets. See if anything is crosswired.

haha its odd when some real solutions are offered the thread becomes quiet with a sense of "oh..... good idea!"

*high five*
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2008 5:01:39 PM

@OP:

1. You have a cr@ppy PSU. Cooler Master is by no means "a good PSU" brand.

2. Did you forget to use the standoffs for the motherboard?

3. How do you know that the motherboard is good?

4. ESD
!