Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 system vs AMD Phenom system - Page 4

Last response: in CPUs
July 3, 2008 2:07:25 PM

akistzortzis said:

Perhaps there are some genuine applications out there that would show the AMD 8218 to be quicker than the Intel. Or perhaps AMD make 3.2 GHz cores that might catch up the Intels?

You can check this

http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/rfp2006.html

You can see that AMD's Barcelona scores a lot higher than similarly clocked, or even higher clocked Xeon quads. SPEC_fp rate is one of the benchmarks that fully utilize the benefit of HTT.
July 3, 2008 2:14:16 PM

Zorg said:
I guess he would need to use Phenoms to match the quad Xeons, but the ultimate conclusion is correct, or am I in left field?

Well, a K8 has 3 hypertransport links.

In a 4P board, that means 1 die is left out (1 hypertransport link must go to main memory)... increasing latency in passing information. (i.e. data from die 0 going to die 4 requires twice the time as data from die 0 to die 1.

That bottleneck would not exist in 2P K10s.

Therefore the amount of time spent shuttling data *might* drop quite considerably.

a c 127 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
July 3, 2008 2:25:04 PM

akistzortzis said:
No. I was really thinking of getting a new PC. All my other PCs in the past **many** years have been AMDs. The current PCs at home are Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Athlon 64 X2 4400+, Sempron 2600+ and an Intel Core Duo on the Dell laptop. I am not biased towards Intel, I could not care less who makes it. But Tom's charts do show the Q6600 be quicker than Phenom and the AMD is not cheaper, plus the Q6600 overclosk easily. No brainer and it was flowing smoothly until Kessler cut in.

Yea we apologize for him. The guy just doesn't get anything. He post what he thinks with no facts then asks us to post facts....and when we do they are not facts.....or something to that extent.

Other than that, if you do get a Q6600 enjoy it. I love mine to death and if I could would hug it. But that might kill it.
Related resources
July 3, 2008 2:40:30 PM

akistzortzis said:
No. I was really thinking of getting a new PC.

Thats a no brainer dude.

Intel quad all the way.

It is very unlikely your consistently running the very few programs where Phenom would be better.
July 3, 2008 5:00:31 PM

Cool, AMD was king for a while, but your right, the Q6600 is still pretty good for an aging chip.

I've got one at 3G and it's going to last me until the Nehalem with the IMC becomes affordable, which is going to be a little while.
July 4, 2008 8:02:41 AM

I wish I can drop a Q6600 in my M2N32 SLI....
My Phenom 9750 maxed out at 2.7GHz, no help with inreasing Vcore :\.
July 4, 2008 12:07:28 PM

Quote:
We don’t see why someone would by a Phenom CPU while you can buy a faster CPU from Intel for absolutely the same price.

If you are looking for a CPU on the USD 200 range you have only two real options: the new Core 2 Duo E8400 and Core 2 Quad Q6600. For the mainstream user Core 2 Duo E8400 is the best option, as it provides a higher performance under almost all scenarios and you also get SSE4.1 support, which improves performance a lot if you have an SSE4-capable application. Core 2 Quad Q6600 is a better option if you have a specific application that is able to recognize more than two cores, like rendering. If you aren’t a professional designer dealing with 3D modeling, stick with Core 2 Duo E8400.

The reviewed Phenom CPU’s will only be good products if AMD lowers their prices severely.

Gee... Sounds like what we've been trying to say...
July 5, 2008 5:28:05 AM

keithlm said:
Yes... that could happen...

but then the Intel fanboys would just find us and it would become the same as this site.

It's already happened.

And you dont fall within that catagory.
July 5, 2008 8:18:34 AM

But but but but..... I'm not a professional designer dealing with 3d modeling, and specific applications to recognized more then 2 cores.. :cry: . o O (I should have had a V8)
a c 127 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
July 5, 2008 8:08:56 PM

Grimmy said:
But but but but..... I'm not a professional designer dealing with 3d modeling, and specific applications to recognized more then 2 cores.. :cry: . o O (I should have had a V8)

LMAO!!!!!!!!

*thunk*
!