Sign in with
Your question

Computer doesnt recognize cd or dvd drives

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 18, 2012 9:47:28 AM

the dvd/cd player is not even listed in device manager or anywhere i can find on the computer i have the two disks that came with the computer but the cd player wont open and does not work.
a b \ Driver
November 18, 2012 10:14:46 AM

alittlebabyduck said:
the dvd/cd player is not even listed in device manager or anywhere i can find on the computer i have the two disks that came with the computer but the cd player wont open and does not work.

Try the MsFIXIT for hardware devices not detected.
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_probl...
November 26, 2012 8:45:15 PM

There is an option in Folder Options to Hide drives that are blank (meaning having blank cd or dvd disks inserted) or not in use, enable that option.

If your computer is a desktop then it could be that your PSU is not providing adequate power, it should be at least 550 watts, anything less than that and the CD/DVD Player will not operate (on a high powered motherboard especially if you are using a graphics card with 6 or 12 pin cable).

The CD/DVD drive should display in the BIOS, if not then the drive is either faulty or the power plugs and cable are not seated correctly. Also if it is a Sata CD/DVD drive then put the cable in the 0 (zero) sata port on the motherboard.

!