Install scanner drivers then pc not booting

Naryia

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Hello,
I tried to install canon's updated TWAIN and WIA drivers for windows xp for my canon LIDE 20 scanner. When I ran them they did not "do anything" so I gave up on using that scanner. When I turned off my pc a little later, it was fine and when I tried to turn it back on, it would not boot up. The fans rev up and stay revved but nothing comes on the screen and there are no beeps or anything from the pc. I need help please!

Naryia

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010

No, it never used to beep. And I've never had problems with it before now. There is no BIOS screen at all. Typical boot up used to be, the CPU fan would rev up for a moment while screen was black but "on", then the fan would rev down to normal speed and the BIOS would start coming on and doing its thing before booting to windows. Now, the CPU fan revs up and stays revved up high and the screen stays blank not even "black".

I am using another PC with the same screen at this time, so it's not the screen's problem. I already pulled the CMOS battery for half a day, and I also tried to use the MB jumpers to clear the it. Nothing worked. I would try my hard drive in something else but it is a SATA drive and I only have IDEs on all my other PCs.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

It is an AMD based Shuttle XPC barebones that I built up with Windows XP home edition SP3.

techievamps

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Naryia,
Does the motherboard of the troubled pc have a place for IDE connections? If it does, then you would be able to take a hard drive out of another pc and test that in the troubled tower. other step you can try is removing cards and memory sticks and try to boot..of course remembering what memory stick you removed. or take them all out and replace them one by one until you're fixed or you get the problem again. Though No BIOS screen isnt good, i've had a similar problem that was resolved by removing and reseating the cards and memory sticks. try those options and see what you get.