Sign in with
Your question

new to networking

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 16, 2004 1:34:05 AM

Hi there i've got a few questions to ask on wireless networking...well networking in general well here i go

1: would a wireless network need a router for just 2pcs?
2: would it work through a ceiling as the other pc is only a few meters above this pc?
3:would it be possible to use the connection for a simple 2 pc lan gaming set up?
4: would ping times for online games increase if i were sharing through the pc which is downstairs to the one up stairs? (if that makes any sense?!?)

oh and i dont know if its rly related but my broadband ISP only lets 1 pc connect so i dont think i can use a router but would it be possible to use the windows internet sharing program? and if so would each pc get a different IP address?

Sorry for asking so many questions im new to networking and dont rly want to have to trail a 10meter cable around my house any answers would be greatly appreciated.

More about : networking

March 16, 2004 2:34:59 AM

1: would a wireless network need a router for just 2pcs?
not if you don't want Internet access

2: would it work through a ceiling as the other pc is only a few meters above this pc?
yes, mine does

3:would it be possible to use the connection for a simple 2 pc lan gaming set up?
yes. I do.

4: would ping times for online games increase if i were sharing through the pc which is downstairs to the one up stairs? (if that makes any sense?!?)
if you were sharing, but not copying/moving files at the time, ping times would not be affected.

oh and i dont know if its rly related but my broadband ISP only lets 1 pc connect so i dont think i can use a router but would it be possible to use the windows internet sharing program? and if so would each pc get a different IP address?
This is exactly the situation you WOULD want to use a router for.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
March 16, 2004 4:50:17 PM

Just what jlanka said...
"this is exactly what you WOULD want a router for"
The router acts as your *cough* *cough* ONE *cough* PC...It gets the IP address from you ISP, then YOUR router hands out IP addresses to you other computers.
Related resources
March 16, 2004 5:46:44 PM

you make it sound as if a router is decieving your isp

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!
March 17, 2004 4:05:44 PM

i bought my wireless stuff through ebuyer, I'm also based in the UK. I already had a router, so i bought two Buffalo WLA-G54 bridges, which connect normal ethernet devices together over wireless.

But if you want a PCI internal wireless card look at Buffalo, they'll have one. Plus if you need a wireless router take a look at the WGA-G54.

Although D-Link are also a good manufacturer. Netgear are ok, but i still prefer buffalo.

Ping times should remain untouched, i can ping UK servers at around 20ms through a wireless bridge system into my router on to ADSL.

i don't know what ISP you have, (i use BT) but unless you pay extra they nearly all give you 1 IP address. So to use two computers you need a router, or to use internet connection sharing.

with the router it'll take the IP from the ISP, then assign your computers "private" IP's.

Internet connection sharing turns the primary PC (the one connected to the modem) into a router of sorts. It will take the single IP from the ISP, then assign the second computer a private IP. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FiL on 03/17/04 06:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!