P4 w/o heatsink: Instant Death or POST

Will a P4 without a heatsink immediately fry or will it throttle and live through a POST?

• Instant burnination!

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • It *might* POST

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Heck yeah, POST away!

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
So I have a great little computer shop near where I live and they are more than happy to give me old crap computers that they're about to throw away.

Of course, before I can get my hands on them they completely strip the system down to a mobo and processor. However, through the course of getting several freebies and oldies that no one wants I have enough compatible computer parts to build a working machine. The catch is that I don't have a heatsink for the P4 (478B socket).

The other catch is that before I spend money on a new heatsink, I'd prefer to see if the components actually even work. Thus the "can I get the computer to POST without a heatsink" query.

I was reading through a TSH article http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hot-spot,365.html, which gives me hope that I might actually be able to assemble the computer and check if it'll POST without risking a melt down. Apparently P4s will throttle way down to avoid the "instant burnination" that I would like to avoid.

Opinions/flaming/suggestions are welcome :)

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
LOL - would having a fan blowing directly onto the processor help at all? I have a few spare case fans that I could use.

And as an aside, do you think that there is any chance I could jerry-rig a LGA-775 heatsink onto the chip? I have an oldie from the C2D in my sig.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
You could try the POST with the board in the horizontal position and simply place the HS on the CPU with a little TIM. The weight alone many be enough to keep the processor from burning up. I remember in 2002/2003 Tom's did an article about HSs falling from their mounting and did a video with a Athlon XP where it was just sitting on the CPU, and they repeatedly took it off and replaced it while the computer was running a game. That should work fine just to confirm that everything is operable.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks for the feedback guys. Since everything was free I'll give it a shot without the heatsink and report back after I either: put out a processor fire or successfully POST :)

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
If you have an extra HS (no matter what kind/quality) it would be stupid to NOT to use it in the manner I descibed before (laying on top with a little TIM). Just a word of caution.

As KyleSTL says just place any old heatsink(any kind, even a athlonXP one with the metal clip off)and thermal paste on it. It will most likely shut down before getting a post without something.

If this is a real old p4(1.6 - 2.0) should post, but its still not that good for it.

Yeah the P4 will be fine not so with the atholon I sa a video years ago they were running doom 2 I think if that tells you anything. The P4 got all jerky in game but played right allong no damage the atholon was the funny one the hole sqare package part just tottaly blew off the chip was quite entertaining.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
There's no way a P4 (40-90W) will post without a HSF (or at least HS).
Get a clue before you make such a strong statement.

To OP, I wouldn't recommend it, but it will definetly post unless it is already dead. Do what others have recommended and just set any HS on the chip while you test it. If you don't have one and really want to test it without getting a HS get a box fan and direct it on the motherboar/CPU and turn it on. As far as P4s posting and even running Windows with no HS/F I've seen more then a few cases were a poorly built computer had the heatsink and fan fall completely off and the user continues using it until they eventually start to have issues.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
P4 gets hot, dont get me wrong, but like everything it takes time, you should be good to go for just a simple post, now the question is, will the mobo let you power it up without a fan hooked into the cpu fan slot ?

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I've done it, back when the CPU was still worth something (2.6 northwood). I figured I'd keep my finger on it to monitor temperature.

I almost imediatly burned my finger and then pulled the plug.

CPU was (and still is) fine.

P4s throttle back when they get too hot, so thats what probably saved me.

drdread

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Here's what you need:

2 - One inch squares of bread cut from a slice
1 - One inch square of sliced cheese
butter - for thermal paste

Butter both squares of bread. Put cheese square in between 2 bread squares with butter side of bread on the outside. Place the completed combination on top of the P4 cpu. Turn on system. Periodically check to see if bread square is getting brown on the side that is touching the cpu. When it's brown turn it over. When the otherside is brown, shut down the system and enjoy your mini grilled cheese sandwhich.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

My bad, I totaly forgot P4s had thermal throttling. Such a practice is still not advisable, however, especially given the fact he has an extra HS laying around.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Sorry didn't mean to make my response seem so nasty. What I meant was how do you know if you haven't tried it. I've seen a Athlon 64 running for hours with stress testing with no HSF, ever case fan unplugged and every vent duct taped over.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks again for all your advice guys. Unfortunately, it was all for naught.

With everything plugged in and ready to go... the mobo wouldn't power on. I even tried hot-wiring the power cable. Still nuttin. Ah well, what can you expect from a free scrap mobo and processor.

As a side note, with the power cable hot wired the processor did stay relatively cool. Cool enough to touch and not burn atleast :)