SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

jausherman

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Error Message

16 bit Windows Subsystem

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers. Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid. Choose "Close' to terminate the application.

This error is occurring in Windows Vista.

jausherman

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

HOW DO I FIX THIS ERROR???

jausherman

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Clicking close doesn't correct the problem, it just closes the error notice. The error occurs every time I try to open any software that creates this error even after clicking close. Consequently, the problem still exists.

It is some sort of registry problem and I am looking for fix if one exists.

Thanks for you help.

Try a Startup repair and expand the module from the Windows Disk if you have to. Recovery Options at this link.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-Vista

jausherman

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

That looks like a possible solution! Thanks so much!

Unixwolf

Honorable
May 23, 2013
This link:<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254914> talks about Windoze 2000. On my Windoze 7 machine, the registry key "HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/VirtualDeviceDrivers" did not exist. I created it and added an empty VDD REG_MULTI_SZ value. Problem solved!

The fly on the wall in Seattle heard:
"Let's keep the forward slash as the option character. Maintaining compatibilty with CP/M is far more important than compatibility with UNIX; and no I don't care if we're developing the next release of MS-DOS 2 on Xenix boxes and cross compiling it!"

"I don't care if the guys at Berkeley have written a fast file system that doesn't fragment, and I don't care if the code is BSD licensed. It wasn't written here, and anyway we only understand VMS." ... "What do you mean 'what about the TCP/IP stack?' - that doesn't count"

"260 characters is more than enough for a pathname. Why on earth would anyone need more?"