thehoff

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Hi,

I was looking at buying a Intel E8400 processor but had one question. The motherboard I am looking at, like the processor supports a 1333mhz FSB and either 800mhz or 667mhz dual channel RAM. I am not planning on overclocking but want a 100% stable system. So is it best to go with the 667mhz RAM as it is synchronised with the processor or the faster 800mhz RAM.

1971Rhino

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I think it might depend on the Mobo ...which would be nice to know.....I think it would help get your question answered.

thehoff

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
It is a Asus P5Q Deluxe. I don't think it matters what motherboard I have.

I am after a more theoretical solution to the problem. Does RAM perform better when it is synchronised with the processor? By installing 800mhz RAM will the computer run faster, the same, or slower being that the ram no longer falls in sync with the processor.

halcyon

Splendid

thehoff, I think the whole 1:1 thing is more often thought of when overclocking, it is sometimes better to have the RAM and CPU in a 1:1 ratio for performance/stability when overclocking. Using 800Mhz RAM WILL NOT give you a bottleneck compared to 667Mhz RAM and it will certainly not be less stable on that motherboard, IMO. In fact, many enthusiasts would not even consider purchasing 667Mhz RAM today and the 800Mhz RAM may or may not feel subjectively faster to you.

For instance, if I have DDR2-800 that the mfr. rates as stable @ 1066Mhz I can run it at 1066Mhz and I may see some performance benefits in doing so (so long as my motherboard can handle that), whether I'm @ 1:1 ratio or not. Now, my Northbridge is going to have to run a little harder to support that 1066Mhz. ...but 800Mhz DDR2 RAM (a JEDEC standard) is so easy for contemporary chipsets that there's just no reason/benefit to run anything slower.

There is more to it but for brevity sake....