Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

800$ Gaming PC? Help!

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 1, 2008 7:02:03 PM

What's the best bang for the buck-parts you can get for an 800$ PC?
Monitor, speakers, wireless card, keyboard and mouse included to make an 800$ PC.

Monitor MUST be 19"/20".

CPU:
CPU Fan/Heatsink: (Thermal Paste Included)
Memory:
Hard Drive:
Video/Graphics Card:
Speakers:
Monitor:
Keyboard:
Mouse:
Sound Card:
Wireless Card:
Power Supply Unit:
Case:
Motherboard:

More about : 800 gaming

July 1, 2008 7:12:26 PM

That's more like a 600$ build because a 19/20" monitor will set you back 200$-ish.
July 1, 2008 7:19:30 PM

actually if you say that 500$ because of the wireless card, speakers, mouse and keyboard.

On an older issue of maximumpc it shows a competition between 2 people who are going to build 500$ pc's and see which one is faster. I want to know what kind of parts i'm going to get right now. It's July 01, 2008 right now at my place
Related resources
July 1, 2008 7:46:36 PM

Getting a decent computer under $500 is going to be hard, what do you plan to do with the comp. gaming?
July 1, 2008 7:53:35 PM

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s $54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Acer X193W+BD Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor $159.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB $194.99($164.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Logitech S-220 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System $22.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-DS4 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX Ultra Durable II AMD Motherboard $124.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OCZ Reaper HPC 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 $60.99($45.99 after $15.00 Mail-In Rebate pdf )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor $169.88

Rosewill R230-P-BK Black 0.5mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $25.99

Rosewill RP500-2 ATX12V v2.01 500W Power Supply 44.99


$859.91
-$45.00 rebates
$814.91

no keyboard or mouse
does not include shipping
no cd disk drive (forgot it lol)
no wireless card

crossfire x capable for the future
July 1, 2008 8:04:28 PM

Thanks cal. Gonna show this to my friend, hes only got $800 and wants a gaming pc.

I'm not gonna game with it. My friend is.....
My comp is not way better either lol.... (check my steam id, username is "febtiger" without quotes)
July 1, 2008 8:12:02 PM

yeah that build will probably cost $900 after every thing else but it will get you a decent gaming pc just check over the parts list because i went over it quickly
July 1, 2008 8:23:29 PM

WHY ARE YOU SUGGESTING A PHENOM?!

*ahem*

Seriously though, get a Wolfdale processor. The E7200 is around $130 and will kick the ass of just about any Phenom in games at stock speed. Also considering it's a Wolfdale, you can OC the hell out of it, probably get it to 3.0 GHz easy with a stock cooler. Of course that means you need a 775 board too, but there are good ones for about the same price as you'd pay for an AM2 board.
a c 129 à CPUs
a b C Monitor
July 1, 2008 8:46:11 PM

No reason to buy a potentially POS Rosewill PSU when an Antec Earthwatts is $30 (430W) or $60 (500W) right now.
It may be a great card, but with an $800 budget, a 4850 may be out of reach. Depending on the games, start with a 3850 and plan on that being the first upgrade when more cash is available.
July 1, 2008 9:16:24 PM

You can't really go bellow $550 for a gaming rig. However since your friend only has $800 this is what I suggest for that price.

Go with Intel 7200 2.53 GHz C2D is more then enough plus you don't have to buy cooling or an overclocking motherboard cause it won't bottleneck your vid card.
Core 2 Duo e7200 2.53 GHz
$129.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you must overclock then You can't beat the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L in a $550 rig
GA-P35-DS3L
$109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

9600 GT $60 cheaper then what was suggested still will run everything out.
MSI 9600 GT 512 MB GDDR3
$139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For a $550 rig your not going to have much room to overclock (especially without a good cooler) Hope your looking at Windows XP cause 2 GB is about all you can afford.
Wintech APX 2x1GB PC26400 (800 MHz)
$39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Don't have much cash left over and a 380watt is more then enough for your rig so this combo case & powersupply should work well.
Antec NSK4480B
$89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For gaming alone 160 GB is more then enough space. I actually use a 160 GB for my gaming rig partitioned into 2 80 GB partitions. You will run outta space real quick if you put a bunch of DVD length movies on there but otherwise 160 is good. On top of that if you are using up a bunch of space then u need to get a bigger secondary drive anyways, it will make your primary last longer.
Western Digital SE WD1600AAJS Caviar
$43.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Already over budget so really all you need now is an optical drive. I don't have a problem with light on, and Sata drives are the way to go
Lite-ON DVD+-RW
23.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total So far $583.93

Add Trendnet Wireless card (Inexpensive but decent brand)
17.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The speakers mentioned above are fine
22.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The above Monitor is fine as well
Acer X193W+BD Black 19” 159.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Keyboard & Mouse
Microsoft Keyboard $ mouse 25.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now adding those items took the price to
810.89 before shipping.

The Above rig has a better video card and has better memory, my suggestions have the better processor (For gaming), is the total system and is closer to your price. GL
July 1, 2008 9:34:28 PM

timaahhh said:
You can't really go bellow $550 for a gaming rig. However since your friend only has $800 this is what I suggest for that price.

Go with Intel 7200 2.53 GHz C2D is more then enough plus you don't have to buy cooling or an overclocking motherboard cause it won't bottleneck your vid card.
Core 2 Duo e7200 2.53 GHz
$129.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you must overclock then You can't beat the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L in a $550 rig
GA-P35-DS3L
$109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

9600 GT $60 cheaper then what was suggested still will run everything out.
MSI 9600 GT 512 MB GDDR3
$139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For a $550 rig your not going to have much room to overclock (especially without a good cooler) Hope your looking at Windows XP cause 2 GB is about all you can afford.
Wintech APX 2x1GB PC26400 (800 MHz)
$39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Don't have much cash left over and a 380watt is more then enough for your rig so this combo case & powersupply should work well.
Antec NSK4480B
$89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For gaming alone 160 GB is more then enough space. I actually use a 160 GB for my gaming rig partitioned into 2 80 GB partitions. You will run outta space real quick if you put a bunch of DVD length movies on there but otherwise 160 is good. On top of that if you are using up a bunch of space then u need to get a bigger secondary drive anyways, it will make your primary last longer.
Western Digital SE WD1600AAJS Caviar
$43.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Already over budget so really all you need now is an optical drive. I don't have a problem with light on, and Sata drives are the way to go
Lite-ON DVD+-RW
23.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total So far $583.93

Add Trendnet Wireless card (Inexpensive but decent brand)
17.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The speakers mentioned above are fine
22.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The above Monitor is fine as well
Acer X193W+BD Black 19” 159.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Keyboard & Mouse
Microsoft Keyboard $ mouse 25.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now adding those items took the price to
810.89 before shipping.

The Above rig has a better video card and has better memory, my suggestions have the better processor (For gaming), is the total system and is closer to your price. GL


+1 /Sign
July 1, 2008 10:20:42 PM

Hope you have a Copy of Windows you can already use or that will set you back as well 100+. :( 
July 1, 2008 10:22:08 PM

well the e7200 processor is a good one for gaming. but i think phenom is more future proof because tomorrows games are going to support quad core processors

the phenom 9600 runs right next to the q6600 and it is only $170, you'll at least get a very minor overclock with the phenom but not like the c2d processors

i would just go for the phenom

i would also try to get a 4850 its a stretch but it will kick a** in games with that 19 inch monitor

but i would go for tims system if you cant afford the phenom system
July 1, 2008 10:31:30 PM

LOL most games now don't even support Dual Cores LOL. There is nothing that is future proof. Gaming go with a fast Dual.
July 1, 2008 10:35:44 PM

ok let me take a crack at this.


PSU Antec 550W 49.99 with promo code : EMCAHABCJ


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MoBo: MSI P45 89.00 after rebates and Code: EMCAHABBF

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: Antec 300 70.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HD : WD640 99.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: E7200 129.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: BFG 8800 gt (92) 150.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ram: OCZ 4GB(2x2) 8500 90.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Display: 19'' Acer 170.00
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...


Total for rig and Display 846.00

PS spend 50.00 more for a 4850 GPU


July 1, 2008 10:38:29 PM

cal8949 said:
well the e7200 processor is a good one for gaming. but i think phenom is more future proof because tomorrows games are going to support quad core processors

the phenom 9600 runs right next to the q6600 and it is only $170, you'll at least get a very minor overclock with the phenom but not like the c2d processors

i would just go for the phenom

i would also try to get a 4850 its a stretch but it will kick a** in games with that 19 inch monitor

but i would go for tims system if you cant afford the phenom system


By the time that is true, it'll be time to upgrade again. Not to mention that for gaming the GPU is always the more deciding factor in how well you can play. Lastly, even if game supported Quad Core today, the Phenom would still lose to the Core 2 Duos, especially after a nice overclock.
July 1, 2008 11:12:41 PM

houstonserenity said:
ok let me take a crack at this.


PSU Antec 550W 49.99 with promo code : EMCAHABCJ


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MoBo: MSI P45 89.00 after rebates and Code: EMCAHABBF

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: Antec 300 70.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HD : WD640 99.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: E7200 129.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: BFG 8800 gt (92) 150.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ram: OCZ 4GB(2x2) 8500 90.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Display: 19'' Acer 170.00
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...


Total for rig and Display 846.00

PS spend 50.00 more for a 4850 GPU



if you get a cheaper case (Rosewill R230-P-BK Black 0.5mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $25.99) it would free up some money for a 4850. it is nice to have a good case tho
July 1, 2008 11:26:39 PM

RADIO_ACTIVE said:
BTW I wasn't trying to be disrespectful in my comments its just that I to would like to see more support for Multi CPU and GPU.

Also this might give you some ideas its around your price range:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/System-Builder-Mara...

good timing!


i would say its a tie between the phenom system and the intel e7200

the intel e7200 won but that was against a slower phenom, slower video cards, and slower ram. and it didn't win by much

i guess its really just down to price and preference. i think the phenom will be better for the games that will use quad core processors, like crysis warhead, but who knows
July 2, 2008 12:59:58 AM

well first things first. I build computers for a living and i have a few suggestions. First, GO WITH INTEL! An AMD Phenom OC'd cannot compare with a C2D stock. Second, i would strongly encourage getting a 4870 instead of 4850 since the 4850 will cause great heat around 80C where as the 4870 has a large fan to support that heat.
email sleek_customs@yahoo.com
July 2, 2008 1:22:40 AM

$54 - oem e2160
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=E2160&c=fr&pid=1da6255...
$15 - Xigmetk* 92mm tower cooler (rebate price just the other day - OC to 3.0ghz+)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OR
$19 - AC freezer pro 7 ($10 less the new egg!)
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-AC7PRO
$80-90 - P35 motherboard
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P35DS3L
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-EP35S3L
$25 - 2gb DDR2-800
$150 - Radeon 4850 (promo code/rebate - slickdeals.net)
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=8...
$189 - 22" Acer (Office Depot, $80 rebate..ouch OR $219 shipped at newegg)
$50 - Corsair 450vx 5-yr warranty (rebate/google checkout - buy.com)
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-vx-450w-power-supply/q/...
$25 - DVD-RW sata
$30+ - case with 120mm intake/exhaust fans (it's getting harder to find a decent cheap case, this Roswill used to be like $39.99):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$30 - basic keyboard and mouse

Prices above include rebate and free shipping on some over the past week, but prices change constantly. Take the time to buy parts on sale over a few weeks and you'll get the best for your money. And remember, Newegg is not the only place to buy from, ewiz and buy.com are also great. I'm sure you know where to find a copy of XP.

@SleekNS, take your troll ass somewhere else and Cal, don't recommend AMD crap that gets stomped by an overclocked $60 Intel CPU, this guy is on a budget.
July 2, 2008 2:30:24 AM

Noya said:
$54 - oem e2160
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=E2160&c=fr&pid=1da6255...
$15 - Xigmetk* 92mm tower cooler (rebate price just the other day - OC to 3.0ghz+)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OR
$19 - AC freezer pro 7 ($10 less the new egg!)
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-AC7PRO
$80-90 - P35 motherboard
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P35DS3L
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-EP35S3L
$25 - 2gb DDR2-800
$150 - Radeon 4850 (promo code/rebate - slickdeals.net)
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=8...
$189 - 22" Acer (Office Depot, $80 rebate..ouch OR $219 shipped at newegg)
$50 - Corsair 450vx 5-yr warranty (rebate/google checkout - buy.com)
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-vx-450w-power-supply/q/...
$25 - DVD-RW sata
$30+ - case with 120mm intake/exhaust fans
$30 - basic keyboard and mouse

Prices above include rebate and free shipping on some over the past week, but prices change constantly. Take the time to buy parts on sale over a few weeks and you'll get the best for your money. And remember, Newegg is not the only place to buy from, ewiz and buy.com are also great. I'm sure you know where to find a copy of XP.

@SleekNS, take your troll ass somewhere else and Cal, don't recommend AMD crap that gets stomped by an overclocked $60 Intel CPU, this guy is on a budget.


do you have any proof that a e2160 can beat a phenom 9600.
wow if you want to go that cheap we can just get a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Processor for $40 that stomps on a e2160. not every one oc there stuff to the limit

why don't you suggest a build that will at least last him a month or maybe even 2 years of gaming

at least suggest the e7200
July 2, 2008 2:42:47 AM

i think tim's build is the best i would just try to get a 4850, and its only like a $10 difference to move up from 160 gig hard drive to a 250

vista 32bit will also run fine of 2 gigs of ram
at least for now
July 2, 2008 2:52:01 AM



do you have any proof that a e2160 can beat a phenom 9600.
wow if you want to go that cheap we can just get a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Processor for $40 that stomps on a e2160. not every one oc there stuff to the limit
why don't you suggest a build that will at least last him a month or maybe even 2 years of gaming
at least suggest the e7200









http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/processors/3d-studio...
July 2, 2008 2:57:35 AM

The E7200 system should last him for a while, or you can wait for about a month, CPU prices should start dropping as new cpus are going to be introduced.
July 2, 2008 3:10:40 AM

cal8949 said:
do you have any proof that a e2160 can beat a phenom 9600.
wow if you want to go that cheap we can just get a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Processor for $40 that stomps on a e2160. not every one oc there stuff to the limit

why don't you suggest a build that will at least last him a month or maybe even 2 years of gaming

at least suggest the e7200


Well, generally the e2160 performs similar to the e6750/e6850 when overclocked, even beating them in some despite it's tiny cache:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-dual-core,1...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-dual-core,1...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-dual-core,1...

And here is a chart comparing the relevant CPU's:
Gaming:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2007/prey...
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2007/warh...
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2007/quak...
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2007/supr...

As you can see, the $75 e2160/AC Pro 7 cooler combo will smackdown the Phenom 9600 in probably nearly all games at less than half the cost, and only really lose when encoding video.

And yes, I would in fact recommend the e7200 due to it's larger cache, higher overclocks, lower power consumption, etc. But for $75, an overclocked e2160 is THE best bang for the buck.
July 2, 2008 2:32:37 PM

Noya said:
Well, generally the e2160 performs similar to the e6750/e6850 when overclocked, even beating them in some despite it's tiny cache:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-dual-core,1...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-dual-core,1...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-dual-core,1...

And here is a chart comparing the relevant CPU's:
Gaming:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2007/prey...
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2007/warh...
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2007/quak...
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2007/supr...

As you can see, the $75 e2160/AC Pro 7 cooler combo will smackdown the Phenom 9600 in probably nearly all games at less than half the cost, and only really lose when encoding video.

And yes, I would in fact recommend the e7200 due to it's larger cache, higher overclocks, lower power consumption, etc. But for $75, an overclocked e2160 is THE best bang for the buck.


OK i be leave you now so, you really just want to get phenom to do encoding. it basically a real high end media center processor. but im kinda against the thought if him getting a e2160, because its just an old slow processor. but it can overclock but the e7200 can overclock to, so if he has any room in his budget i would get the e7200
July 2, 2008 3:29:49 PM

Quote:
You can't really go bellow $550 for a gaming rig. However since your friend only has $800 this is what I suggest for that price.

Go with Intel 7200 2.53 GHz C2D is more then enough plus you don't have to buy cooling or an overclocking motherboard cause it won't bottleneck your vid card.
Core 2 Duo e7200 2.53 GHz
$129.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115052

If you must overclock then You can't beat the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L in a $550 rig
GA-P35-DS3L
$109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813128059

9600 GT $60 cheaper then what was suggested still will run everything out.
MSI 9600 GT 512 MB GDDR3
$139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814127362

For a $550 rig your not going to have much room to overclock (especially without a good cooler) Hope your looking at Windows XP cause 2 GB is about all you can afford.
Wintech APX 2x1GB PC26400 (800 MHz)
$39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820161229

Don't have much cash left over and a 380watt is more then enough for your rig so this combo case & powersupply should work well.
Antec NSK4480B
$89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 2bNSK4480B

For gaming alone 160 GB is more then enough space. I actually use a 160 GB for my gaming rig partitioned into 2 80 GB partitions. You will run outta space real quick if you put a bunch of DVD length movies on there but otherwise 160 is good. On top of that if you are using up a bunch of space then u need to get a bigger secondary drive anyways, it will make your primary last longer.
Western Digital SE WD1600AAJS Caviar
$43.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136075

Already over budget so really all you need now is an optical drive. I don't have a problem with light on, and Sata drives are the way to go
Lite-ON DVD+-RW
23.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6827106263

Total So far $583.93

Add Trendnet Wireless card (Inexpensive but decent brand)
17.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6833156141

The speakers mentioned above are fine
22.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6836121014

The above Monitor is fine as well
Acer X193W+BD Black 19” 159.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6824009127

Keyboard & Mouse
Microsoft Keyboard $ mouse 25.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6823109139

Now adding those items took the price to
810.89 before shipping.

The Above rig has a better video card and has better memory, my suggestions have the better processor (For gaming), is the total system and is closer to your price. GL


The Phenom build suggested by cal8949 is faster, however his was $40 more then what I suggested. Neither of our builds factor in shiping and his build didn't cover everything febtiger requested. It ignores about $40 cost for wireless keyboard and mouse plus I threw in an optical drive (though that wasn't requested).

Even my build was $10 over his budget and it doesn't factor in shipping. That is why I picked what I picked. I realize the 4850 is faster and better price/performance then the 9600, but the 9600 will get the job done and its $60 cheaper. I realize the Phenom quad overall will be a better processor but the e7200 is better for gaming and $40 cheaper. I wasn't going for best price/performance, I was going for the best rig for $800.

No offense to cal8949 he suggested a great rig, if he had just $100 more the rig you suggested would be perfect. Heck with shipping he may have to shave something off my suggestion if $800 is really the mark (if thats the case then I can revise I can shave down the mobo and the speaks if need be though they will be really basic speakers).
July 2, 2008 3:37:32 PM

Really the phenom would do just fine. I would concentrate on the GPU. Any processsor that is 2.4Ghz or higher should do the trick. Cal you are sugesting a 2.3 Phenom well I believe that it can be clocked at around 2.8 - 3.0, but some people were having issues getting it past 2.5 or so. My personal opinion if you wanted to get a quad, go with a Q6600. For now I will stick with my fast Dual Core.
July 2, 2008 4:02:56 PM

i would suggest trying to raise the price to 900 if it is possible so u can afford the e7200 or phenom and a 4850. the total build cost for the phenom system with the optical drive, wireless card, key board and mouse that timmahh suggested would come out to $882 before shipping. the phenom system is $72 more then the e7200 system but you get the 4850 and 90 more gigs of hard drive space with faster ram

the phenom 9600 is slightly slower then the e7200 for gaming but it does better for multitasking and encoding. the e2160 can preform as good a the e7200 for gaming but that's an extreme overclock. you'll be fine running vista home premium with 2 gigs of ram i have for the passed year and you always be able to upgrade to 4 in the future

if you really wanna save money and you don't your not afraid to overclock get the e2160

if you wanna overclock and have the best gaming performance as possible get the e7200

if you not interested in overclock or only going to do a minor oc and want good performance all around get a phenom 9600

i also think the phenom would do just fine at 2.6 ghz or above. i think the newer versions of phenom processors can overclock better then the older ones that all the review sites tried to oc when they first came out
July 11, 2008 6:25:59 PM

Well luxury wont be on your fd's side, but I will up the ante to 22" :p 

Nutshell: 22"LCD/Spider Platform/2gb RAM/250GB/Wireless N

SPEC:
LCD: Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" $220
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz $66
MOBO: BIOSTAR TFORCE TA780G Micro ATX $70 (after $10 MIR)
GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 3870 512MB $100 (after $30 MIR)
RAM: 2gb G-Skill DDR2 800 $45
HDD: Seagate 250GB $60
PSU: Rosewill ATX12V v2.01 550W $50
COOLER: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro $26
DVD: LG 20X DVD±R Super Multi DVD Burner $24
WIRELESS: ENCORE ENLWI-N PCI Wireless Adapter $40
INPUTS: Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 with Mouse $21
PASTE: Artic Silver 5 $6
CASE: Rosewill Japanese Cold Rolled Steel Mid Tower $57
SOUND: (onboard) $0


sub total: $785
shipping: $18 (varies)
grand total: $803

URL: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...
(price shown bottom is before $40 MIR)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES:
LCD: once you go big you never go back. 22" are worth every penny for your fd's $$$ :whistle: 

CPU: obviously on $800 you will have to give up here and there, Spider Platform is the way to go for this very purpose. (Black ED is a luxury-not a necessity) :ange: 

MOBO: Good ratings goes with brand-new chipsets at perfect price range.

GPU: 3870 can handle most games out there and this one comes with an aftermarket cooler for 2 digit price, great deal. :bounce: 

RAM: again, went for good overall ratings and price/performance

HDD: ditto.

PSU: good mid grade PSU at great price with consistent ratings

COOLER: this one says all about the entire setup "cheap, but effective" ;) 

DVD: it's IDE but the price is great.

WIRELESS: I own 2 of these and i have to say they work wonders. ya it's a small brand but it offers MIMO config and has WIRELESS N, this is the way to go. :wahoo: 

INPUTS: best bang/buck keyboard/mouse combo :D 

PASTE: AC5 ya i think this one should be a no brainer :love: 

CASE: at this price Japanese Steel Case sounds pretty darn good to me, and its kind of unique looking too. :ouch: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

YES I KNOW, there is one minor flaw. it's $3 over budget... well tell your friend to take one of his lunch time to set it up like i skip mine to write this :cry:  i know life isnt fair... but what can you do when you are $3 over budget :sleep:  *sarcasm* All in all, I think your friend will be able to get the most out of his $800 (and $3) with this config. it should last him quite a bit too considering he's staying away from Crysis-ish games :p  :lol:  :pt1cable: 

my 2cents

gl

EDIT: All the parts are here to stay so I'm sorry you friend will have to settle with one of his headphone because there is no room in this config for a pair speakers, and there is no reason to squeeze out a good component for a cheap, worthless, harsh-to-ears, no-name speakers right? tell him to use a pair ear bud until he save up enough lunch money for a 2.1 speaker set. :D 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
July 12, 2008 5:31:30 AM

Noya's build is the best. for $800 an oc'ed e2160/4850 combo is the best, and the advice to buy things over a period of a week taking only the best deals is also awesome advice. Noya's system will give you half the performance of a $10,000.00 gaming rig for 1/12.5 the price. If you are afraid to OC then go E7200/ 8800gt they can be had for $130 each which is equal cost as e2160/4850. I do love wolfdale but no one can touch an oc'ed e2160 in the bang for buck department.
!