I have a BIG problemand am DESPERATE!!!

Befuddled

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Bought a 500gb hd to replace ORIGINAL 120gb hd in my HP Pavillion dv2000 series notebook with Vista os. Also bought Apricorn's EZ Upgrade universal kit to clone original notebook drive to 500 gb replacement hd. Problem is laptop's motherboard died before having chance to do cloning. With power on laptop has no display. boot up, etc. If I send laptop back to HP they'll fix it but I'll lose over 100 gb of files and programs on it since they wipe drive clean and reinstall orig os and programs. (Since it's under warrantry, I have to send it to HP for repairs.) Is their anyway possible to get laptop's original hd cloned/transfered to new 500 gb hd BEFORE sending laptop to HP for motherboard repair? I do have laptop enclosures for both drives and another laptop (and desktop) both with XP, service pack 3 on them and hd's smaller than 120 gb hd I need to clone. Any suggestions on how to clone HP 120 hd to 500 gb hd?????

El Chupacabura

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
The only way to get this to work would be if you had a second computer; Or you could take the HDD out of your laptop and tell HP to just replace the mobo. When I sent my laptop off to dell to have its mobo replaced I kept the drive. There is no reason that they need you HDD to replace the mobo.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

If the drives are stock standard SATA or IDE interfaces, then you can get some inexpensive enclosures for the drives and clone them via USB. It will be slow as sin, but should work. (I'm assuming you have a desktop available to you)

OTOH, I kind of like El Chupacabura's idea... They don't need your pr0n to test the MB , they can use their own. (may be violating warranty, so ask first...)

Odds are that the laptop drive is a SATA unit. If you have access to a desktop PC, just plug in both drives (they do not need to be mounted) and transfer the data.

Or use something like Acronis to clone the old laptop drive onto a new one, and erase the data from the old drive.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Depending on who made your new 500 GB unit, go to their website and download for free their software for this job. Seagate gives you Disk Wizard, WD gives you Acronis True Image WD Edition, but each will make a clone TO only their drive. If your disk is form someone else, see if they have similar free tools.

These utility packages will do the full job of preparing the new blank hard drive for use and then copying to it absolutely everything from your old drive, making it bootable in the process. Then it is fully capable of replacing your old drive. Watch for one detail as you run this. When the clone is made, some are set by default to make the clone version exactly the same size as the original disk. But you have the option to change that and have the new clone larger - up to the full capacity of the new disk. You just need to change the size of the Destination Drive to what you want.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Huh??? are you sure that you are responding to this thread?

DaveMik

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Apricorn EZgig CD is bootable, and can clone your old hard drive to your new one (it's an OEM version of Acronis True Image).

Steps:

1. Put both 120GB hard drive and 500GB hard drive in separate USB enclosures.

2. Attach both USB enclosures to your 2nd laptop. Make sure USB ports have enough power to power both drives (get/use an AC POWERED USB hub, 4 ports minimum, if not enough USB ports (4) on 2nd laptop. Drives should have a USB Y cable (data and power), or data cable and power cable to use the power from 2 USB ports to power EACH external USB enclosure.
NOTE: EZ upgrade 2.5" drive USB enclosure is great (heavy duty, IDE and SATA disk interfaces, BUT included cable is only single headed; get a USB Y cable from PCconnections.com or cablestogo.com (or eBay), to make sure external enclosure(s) and disks get adequate power from USB ports.

3. Put Apricorn EZgig CD in 2nd laptop and boot from it.
May need to set BIOS to boot from CD (press a key at system startup to get into BIOS to modify boot order, or may be able to just press a key to indicate "Boot from CD"; look closely and quickly at upper right of screen during startup.

4. If/once system boots from CD, Apricorn EZgig will load;
select full version with USB drivers.

5. Select "Clone disk", and ENSURE that source disk is 120GB disk and destination disk is 500GB disk. Clone entire disk, all partitions, if multiple partitions are on disk (this would include any "restore partitions");
OR just the ACTIVE Windows partition, IF you are sure that you will never need/use the factory restore partition (only restores system to "as bought" state).
Program can/will increase available disk/partition size on new disk.

6. Once all selections are made, proceed/commit.
Will probably take a few hours to do clone.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador

OP's question was, "Is their anyway possible to get laptop's original hd cloned/transfered to new 500 gb hd BEFORE sending laptop to HP for motherboard repair? I do have laptop enclosures for both drives and another laptop (and desktop) both with XP, service pack 3 on them and hd's smaller than 120 gb hd I need to clone. Any suggestions on how to clone HP 120 hd to 500 gb hd?????"

My answer was where to get free cloning software that will make a clone to his / her new 500 GB drive. Then it's safe while the defective laptop is sent away for repairs. Now, I agree that I did not address how to re-clone BACK to the original 120 GB drive once the laptops is returned. Software that only works on one manufacturer's DESTINATION disk is troublesome that way.

Actually, I like the suggestions to NOT include the 120 GB drive in the machine that is sent away for repairs, if HP will accept that. It guarantees they cannot destroy OP's data.