Format and restore

EzRiIgK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My main hard drive boots to the blue screen of death. I have tried every repair possible. I was fudging with the authui.dll file, atempting to get rid of the logon icon.

anyway, now i cant boot the drive at all. I CAN read the drive via usb, however i have 650gb worth of work on the drive.

My question is: I have a backup, done with EaseUS Todo Backup Free 3.0, (from the 1st of november), can i either, format my drive and reinstall windows (i'm still using vista) and then do a full restore from this backup. or otherwise buy a new drive and do the same thing, thus saving the old drive (since i can read it via USB) to insure against any loss. Will it have all the programs installed....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Erik

Solution

You did not buy the same size drive as you were replacing ? TODO Offers file-by-file copying or sector-by-sector: unless you expressly want the latter, the former (file-by-file) is faster. It is also more user-friendly if restoring to a larger hard drive.

You should be able to recover by using the bootable backup CD. Tutorials for Easus todo here:
http://www.easeus-backup.com/tutorial/system-state-backup-and-restore.htm

EzRiIgK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012

Hey ksiemb

thanks for the quick reply. i will read the link over.

Hate to sound like a D. but the "you should" part of your answer is what scares me. I also believe that I should be able to do it. My concern is i cannot lose a good portion of the files as they are months of effort. So i don't want to just try. I was hoping someone could give me 100%, from experience, answer.

Any help!!!

Erik

Then get a new hard drive. Install Windows on it. Use existing drive as a secondary. I said "you should" because I do not know if your backup CD has been verified as ok, and I for one, have not used Easeus todo. There are many horror stories on this forum of users of various backup programs who cannot restore for one reason or another, so therefore "You Should".

EzRiIgK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
Hey Ksiemb,

Hey, I meant no disrespect in my reply to you . What I was hoping for was someone who has experience with Easeus Todo backup system, so that they could tell me for sure. You know how long an install and restore takes. was hoping to avoid a night of waiting with no positive results.

I went and bought a new 1tb hard drive. Installing windows now. then I will attemp the restore. thanks for your avice. Will let everyone know when I am done, so the next guy will have an answer.

Regards, Erik

Erik: Non was taken. And good luck with your recovery. And great if you post your solution.

EzRiIgK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
Hey all,

Ok, so none this worked. once i install windows on the new drive and tried run the backup. the new drive would not recognize the backup file and would thus do nothing. Guess I'm gonna have to do everything the loooooooooooooooooong hard way and transfer all my personal files then just reinstall everything. There goes my week end.

Thanks Erik

You did not buy the same size drive as you were replacing ? TODO Offers file-by-file copying or sector-by-sector: unless you expressly want the latter, the former (file-by-file) is faster. It is also more user-friendly if restoring to a larger hard drive.

Solution

EzRiIgK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012

Hey ksiemb,

again, thanks for the quick answer. Never thought that the HD's size would matter since the old drive had only 650gb used.

1. if i took it back and got a HD to match the size do you think a sector by sector clone will just install the bum copy of windows onto the new drive.?

2. Before it tellls me the destination is to small. It say the currnet operating system will be overwritten. Is this a good idea?

3. would a simpler file-by-file clone be a better idea?
a. will this bring the new drive to the old drives state (settings and all that)? cause that would be the best!!!

any help would be great.

Thanks again,

Erik