mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Well, this is frustrating. I have 4 x 2GB sticks of Corsair Dominator PC8500 memory in and seemed to be running stable at 5-5-5-15 (2T) timings at 1066MHz. I decided to run Memtest86+ and left it for an hour. I came back and it was on Test 8. Unfortunately it was showing 13 errors and displaying 10 errors between Tests 5 and 7. They were at assorted addresses between 1.1GB and 7.8GB. I really don't know what the errors mean and how serious this is. My Q9450 is at 3.2GHz (400 x 8) and my RAM is at it's rated 1066MHz (400 x 2.66). Voltage is at 2.16V. I'm not sure what to do...do I need to exchange all 8GB of memory? I don't want to sit around for days testing each module individually. Are there settings I should try in the BIOS to adjust?

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Well I got Memtest to pass without errors but I don't know why and I'm a little concerned about how I did it -

- After trying BIOS auto SPD settings the Memtest86+ were even worse...over 36 errors after 5 tests. I cancelled and put the settings back to 5-5-5-15 2T.
- Since I knew 2.1V didn't work, I tried 2.2V and ran the test again and this time it went all the way through with 0 errors.

I'm concerned on whether 2.2V is too high for my memory (tested and spec'd at 2.1V). Granted I can see in my BIOS that the actual voltage is not 2.2V but more like 2.16V but I don't want to risk damaging anything. I called Corsair and they recommended first testing the memory in pairs at 2.1V and if they pass to either use 2.2V (but not any more) due to the fact that I'm using all four slots or to change the northbridge voltage setting and bump that up. I'm somewhat new to all this and there are a bunch of motherboard voltage settings. The only one I have been certain about is the DRAM on my Gigabyte EP45-DS3R. What other voltage setting would I change to help make my memory more stable (error free assuming I don't have a bad stick) and what value would you recommend. Again, this is for 4 sticks of Corsair Dominator PC8500 (2GB sticks). Thanks in advance...any help and advice is appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS