A better HTPC video card ,Pure Video 1 vs 2

Belles_Toaster

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Just my luck but I now have 2 EVGA video cards. An 8600GTS superclocked and a 8800GS superclocked. From the standpoint of
picture quality, the abilty to go to 1080p Which of the two should I hold on to. I suppose both would do HDMI with an adapter in the DVI slot and I wonder how to handle the audio. They are going to a matx
Evga mobo 630i with 7150 gpu. Any opinions are appreciated.

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
im sure that the 8800gs has better performance than the 8600gts. well you can get one of those adapters from dvi to hdmi. but know this that the video can only be transferred through the card. you have to run a seperate audio from the system. i only know of ati card from the 2xxx and 3xxx series that have both sound and video through hdmi right on the card. if you get a cheap ati card for like 50 bucks, with those dvi/hdmi adapeters in the package, you would be set. but you can't do that with the current card. video and audio are seperate.

You can get audio and video through Geforce cards too, you just need SPDIF passthrough support on the card, which is available on many of the newer cards as either a header attachement (direct from the audio card header) or a Toslink input passthrough, but like you may have noticed that's not an option on either of those eVGA cards.