Sign in with
Your question

Canot complete installation failure

Last response: in Storage
August 29, 2009 7:18:05 AM

ok well i kinda got past this over problem i was having http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-251502_14_0.ht... (please read post to understand more about problem)

but now when it trys to complete installation its says it cannot and i need to restart the installation process i have tried it so many times and it still not working
i have taken out 2gd ram, changed boot order,tried different vista disc, tryed it it with out the ide hdd and with, tried it in sata mode and native ide mode (in bios menu)

ahh this is getting so annoying i really need to get this pc to work for Monday at latest

i have a
AMD+2 Quad core 1.40ghz
dvd drive on ide (set to slave)
30gb HDD ide (set to master)
500gd sata seagate hdd
4gd ram
gigabyte mobo MA78G-DS3H with driver disk
August 29, 2009 7:44:42 AM

i have found this drive or partition on my pc called boot (x) i cant see it when installing vista but cant when searching for drivers i cant member how big it is its either 33mb or 33gd (if it is 33gd that would explain the missing space on hard drive) this could also be what is making my installation fail is there any way of deleting or formatting this space? and is so how?
would a ubuntu live disc be able to format it?
August 29, 2009 8:51:44 AM

If you can get Vista running on the IDE drive, create a Complete PC Backup And Restore Image (you'll find the option in the "Backup and Restore Center" in the Control Panel). Then do the restore onto the SATA drive. It's not a very elegant solution, but it seem's you're in a hurry and I don't have any better ideas. Good Luck.

The New Number Two

Related resources
August 29, 2009 9:14:29 AM

thenewnumber2 said:
If you can get Vista running on the IDE drive, create a Complete PC Backup And Restore Image (you'll find the option in the "Backup and Restore Center" in the Control Panel). Then do the restore onto the SATA drive. It's not a very elegant solution, but it seem's you're in a hurry and I don't have any better ideas. Good Luck.

The New Number Two

i never thought of that if i can get it working i dont mind how long it takes but even better if can get it working for college on Tuesday, ryt now it has doen all the extracting and that and i have put in my user name and all that but still finishing instaling and been on for about 30mins on this screen and the bar at the bottom has moved at all. i though about using an image to put on the hdd but would that work as when you install vista i have to load the drivers in. would i still not have to do that to get the sata hdd to show up or would it show up fine for an image?
August 29, 2009 9:39:17 AM

You have probably a problem with your SATA hdd. Can be a fault of the HDD or the SATA cable or the SATA connector or can also be that something is put wrong in the BIOS.

Anyway if you install Vista on an IDE HDD you have you can make a ghost image in the SATA drive. That way it should work fine if the drive is not faulty.

Having said it you must find what is wrong on the HDD. You have to find if it's the HDD that it's faulty or if it's a problem with the cable or connection. Try different SATA ports, different cables and check the BIOS. Try legacy IDE, RAID or AHCI and see if one of them solve the problem, if it doesn't then it's the HDD that it's faulty.

It happened to me one time. I got the drive mistakengly magnetized (don't ask me how, still today I cannot understand how it happened) and it didn't work no more. It could write or read files and was recognized but couldn't install properly the MFT in it so the system couldn't boot.
August 29, 2009 9:27:14 PM

STHellRaiser said:
...would i still not have to do that to get the sata hdd to show up or would it show up fine for an image?

I should have been more informative: it was very late here when I first replied and I was tired ;-)

If you can get Vista running on the IDE drive:

1) This is a good time to prepare your SATA drive. I would delete all existing partitions you may find on it, then repartition and format it as you please. It wouldn't hurt to run an HDD diagnostic tool at this point if you suspect the SATA is faulty. Most of these have built- in partitioning and formatting utilities, so you could kill both birds at once...

2) A couple of possibilities are now available. We can:

a) assume the SATA now works properly, and try to install Vista on it once more. NOTE: you want to disconnect your IDE drive before you do this: do the vista install with only the SATA in place. You can reconnect the IDE later if you still want it.

b) Do the Complete PC Backup and Restore as suggested earlier, then restore the PC to the new drive. And yes, Windows should recognize the SATA after this point (because it presumably installed the SATA driver during the IDE installation.) Vista will probably NOT recognize the SATA drive during a clean install: you usually have to supply a SATA driver disk during the initial installation. I use a floppy drive for this, but I realize that many people no longer own one of these. I believe that you can use a flash drive for this, but you'll have to check itout for yourself!

I hope this helps, and let us know what you find.

The New Number Two
a c 342 G Storage
August 31, 2009 3:31:20 PM

You should NOT need to install drivers when installing VISTA. Prior to VISTA, Windows only knew how to handle IDE drives, so you had to install SATA drivers from floppy early in the Win XP Install process if you wanted to use the SATA disk as a native SATA device. The alternative was to set your BIOS to treat the SATA drive as an IDE device that Windows understood. That is NOT the situation with VISTA - it comes with drivers for native SATA already as part of it, so it CAN install directly to a native SATA drive or to one being emulated as IDE by the BIOS. I think VISTA also knows how to install to AHCI devices, but I know it CANNOT install to a RAID array unless you do the appropriate driver installation from a floppy drive.

I'm struck by your mention of a 33MB or 33 GB drive. I have seen stories of faulty hard drives in which the symptom is that the drive appears to be only 32 MB. That is the size of the drive's built-in cache RAM. In some failures, the cache RAM is the only part of the hard drive that is working, but of course it's far too small to install VISTA to.

So IF your mystery drive is 32 MB (NOT Gigabytes), and it appears to be on the SATA port, download and run some diagnostics on the SATA drive to make sure it is working OK.
August 31, 2009 7:42:24 PM

thanks for every ones reply. i have tried to use an image of vista that didn't work either it comes up with the device is not attached but the thing is not one touched to pc whiles it was doing the restore (unless a ghost) so that's failed as well. rite now am am trying to install ubuntu and to see if that works, i have kinda tried a windows 7 rc version that i have with no success but will be trying that again in different ways tonight.
and great ubuntu didnt install as well

ok now couple of things left it is the sata hdd thats faulty (will probably be phoning ebuyer in the moring by looks of it) or a connection is wrong but i dont see how it could be the second one when it shows up fine in bios and installtion
August 31, 2009 7:45:59 PM

forgot to say
i have managed to get other things to install on to the sata hdd when loads os of the ide hdd it works fine then but i cant get any os to install on to the sata hdd

has any one got idears that i can try (will be trying just about every thing tonight)
and please dont say look up error code in google or ms that doesnt work atall
August 31, 2009 8:50:35 PM

ok now am really confused i have just installed windows xp gamer edition and had no problems not understanding how this could of worked (gamer edition isnt done by ms)

any one got any idea's????????
and would an upgrade to vista work????
not understanding how this worked tho
!