Sign in with
Your question

Boot (X)

Last response: in Storage
August 29, 2009 7:44:12 AM

i have found this drive or partition on my pc called boot (x) i cant see it when installing vista but cant when searching for drivers i cant member how big it is its either 33mb or 33gd (if it is 33gd that would explain the missing space on hard drive) this could also be what is making my installation fail is there any way of deleting or formatting this space? and is so how?
would a ubuntu live disc be able to format it?

More about : boot

a b G Storage
August 29, 2009 7:56:36 AM

Is this a laptop or an OEM computer. It could be a restore partition placed there by the system manufacturer.
August 29, 2009 8:00:32 AM

its a pc custom build
same one from my other tread, and am pretty sure its partition from the sata herd drive that am having problems with in my other treads if linked wanted will post
Related resources
August 29, 2009 8:02:26 AM

Quote:
i cant see it when installing vista but cant when searching for drivers

ment to put i cant see it when installing vista but can when searching for drivers
a b G Storage
August 29, 2009 12:55:23 PM

STHellRaiser said:
its a pc custom build
same one from my other tread, and am pretty sure its partition from the sata herd drive that am having problems with in my other treads if linked wanted will post

When you say a custom build you mean you are building it, and if so is this hardware new?
a b G Storage
August 29, 2009 4:02:03 PM

Try a partition editor (PartedMagic, Gparted or PartitionMagic) and see what they find.
If it's a new build, It might also be worth running the drive manufacturers drive test tool to make sure the drive (and cable) are working OK.
August 29, 2009 6:08:08 PM

techgeek said:
When you say a custom build you mean you are building it, and if so is this hardware new?

its is all new parts now apart from the dvd drive. all the hardware in it as about 3-5 months old apart from the sata hard drive as its only 3 days old
August 30, 2009 10:19:15 PM

STHellRaiser said:
its is all new parts now apart from the dvd drive. all the hardware in it as about 3-5 months old apart from the sata hard drive as its only 3 days old

My best guess is that whoever sold you the SATA drive sold you a used one. That is a real mode boot sector that you are seeing, which means someione has previously formatted that disk. And if someone returned the diskto the vendor, it's quite likely that it doesn't work properly. That would explain your other difficulties. This is 100% conjecture, but you have to start somewhere...

The New Number Two
August 31, 2009 2:00:51 AM

STHellRaiser said:
i have found this drive or partition on my pc called boot (x) i cant see it when installing vista but cant when searching for drivers i cant member how big it is its either 33mb or 33gd (if it is 33gd that would explain the missing space on hard drive) this could also be what is making my installation fail is there any way of deleting or formatting this space? and is so how?
would a ubuntu live disc be able to format it?

Boot (x) is a bootloader partition used by many versions of linux, including OSX. I'd be going back to my vendor and raising a wee bit of hell...
August 31, 2009 8:20:04 PM

it was ebuyer that sold me the disk and from looks of every thing so far i will be phoning them tomorrow morning and wanting a new one am just trying a few things the now but will be most likey to phone them
August 31, 2009 8:47:33 PM

ok now am really confused i have just installed windows xp gamer edition and had no problems not understanding how this could of worked (gamer edition isnt done by ms)

any one got any idea's????????
and would an upgrade to vista work????
not understanding how this worked tho
!