STHellRaiser

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
i have found this drive or partition on my pc called boot (x) i cant see it when installing vista but cant when searching for drivers i cant member how big it is its either 33mb or 33gd (if it is 33gd that would explain the missing space on hard drive) this could also be what is making my installation fail is there any way of deleting or formatting this space? and is so how?
would a ubuntu live disc be able to format it?

STHellRaiser

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
its a pc custom build
same one from my other tread, and am pretty sure its partition from the sata herd drive that am having problems with in my other treads if linked wanted will post

When you say a custom build you mean you are building it, and if so is this hardware new?

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Try a partition editor (PartedMagic, Gparted or PartitionMagic) and see what they find.
If it's a new build, It might also be worth running the drive manufacturers drive test tool to make sure the drive (and cable) are working OK.

STHellRaiser

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009

its is all new parts now apart from the dvd drive. all the hardware in it as about 3-5 months old apart from the sata hard drive as its only 3 days old

thenewnumber2

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009

My best guess is that whoever sold you the SATA drive sold you a used one. That is a real mode boot sector that you are seeing, which means someione has previously formatted that disk. And if someone returned the diskto the vendor, it's quite likely that it doesn't work properly. That would explain your other difficulties. This is 100% conjecture, but you have to start somewhere...

The New Number Two

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Boot (x) is a bootloader partition used by many versions of linux, including OSX. I'd be going back to my vendor and raising a wee bit of hell...

STHellRaiser

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
it was ebuyer that sold me the disk and from looks of every thing so far i will be phoning them tomorrow morning and wanting a new one am just trying a few things the now but will be most likey to phone them

KraigW

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I'm having problems starting my pc. It appears that drive C: is now being called drive D:. I see a Boot X: drive on my system too. But I bought it retail (a year ago). My drive C was running low on space too. I'm stuck, but maybe this will help someone.