Gaming build recommendations

jonnymac00

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Recently decided to buy a new desktop computer, threw together parts on cyberpowerpc.com. Looking for something that can handle high end games on medium or higher graphics with at least 40+ FPS(diablo 3, mw3, etc...). Wondering what this current computer is gonna be capable of. More importantly though i would like to know if the fans are gonna be able to handle the overclock w/o liquid cooling, if the video card is overkill or not, or if the power supply is too much. Basically throw some ideas my way, try and save some money if possible. Just looking to have a nice gaming computer that will last a few years.

Heres a link to the Websites saved build - http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1E7E35

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1

Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more)

Cooling Fan: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan

Motherboard: [CrossFireX] ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x PCIe x16 (1 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2x PCIe x1 & 3 PCI (Extreme OC Certified)

Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS with Heat Spreader)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

Power Supply Upgrade: 600 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Hi and welcome to Tom's.
A few observations...
1) Overclocking, don't have them overclock for you. With that board and that processor, and that cpu cooler, there is enough information that you can easily do it yourself. The folks in the overclocking section are more than willing to get you started. Much of the information there is good to know anyway in case of troubles. It is more than a little inconvenient when you have to send the entire unit back for a fix you can easily accomplish yourself.
2) Power Supply, you really should splurge a little on the PSU or if you are budgeted only for a standard PSU, go with at least a 700W. The reason I suggest that is everything else depends upon stable power input. Your setup as configured (and including your own overclock) would probably draw up to 450W under load but... PSU's are their most stable at about 35-70% capacity. But you do have this PSU in your coices and it is recommended by a few different reviewers.
[FREE upgrade from Corsair 650W PSU] 750 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready. I would take that if budget allows.
3) Software and Services Section, do select Ultra Enhanced Packing Solution if only because the Hyper 212 is a large and heavy cooler and does have the potential to damage the mobo if mishandled in transit
Summary: Overclocking is not hard and is good to know - save $ do it yourself; Invest in solid Power Supply; Heavy CPU cooler, get extra packing.
Looks pretty good elsewise I think

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012

Pretty good system!! lots of room for cpu overclocking. My only recommendation- get a better gpu- even if it means spending $40-$60 extra for now. You won't regret it later on. GtX550 is a mainstream card it will run most of the games but you won't be able to play with the eye candies on. Look for at least a gtx 460/ gtx 560ti or hd6870/hd7850 if you want to go ati. You can find used gpu from ebay for the same price you pay for the new gtx550. You might even find an used gtx470/480 for that price. No matter what don't get the gtx550- get a better gpu!

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Get a better GPU I had a 550ti till recently as a temporary measure. It will do what you want but its entry level forget eye candy maxed out with it, decent settings and FPS yes but it won't do your CPU justice. Try to jump up too a 560ti or a 570

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012

nope there won't be no bottlenecks. 6870 is a pretty good card, it will last you quite a while. Although I prefer a gtx 560ti for about $200. The reason why nvidia drivers and supports are better and majorities of the games are more optimized for nvidia. Any good 500-600w psu would do just fine. I used to run my gtx560 ti superoverclocked and i5 760 4ghz on an antec ea 500W power supply.