Sign in with
Your question

How to watch BluRay movie on HDTV with an internal BluRay drive on PC?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 11, 2008 6:05:22 AM

I'm thinking about building a computer, and I was considering adding a BluRay drive in it as it's a lot cheaper than a standalone player for a HDTV.

Is there a way to just read the BluRay disc from my PC's drive and view it on a HDTV? Would there be a loss of quality? (Which would defeat the purpose of getting BluRay)

On a separate note, what do I need to capture HD quality shows off my TV and storing them onto my PC? And could I then view movies on my PC on my HDTV? (Sorta the stuff I think I remember teachers using in school, but higher quality)

Thanks a ton in advance guys.

P.S. I may be getting this video card, if it makes any difference whatsoever.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127325&Tpk=msi%2bnx8800gts
June 11, 2008 6:17:13 AM

All you need is high def software, like power DVD to play blu ray. Shouldn't be a loss in quality at all.

To capture HD quality shows you should get an HDTV tuner card.
June 11, 2008 6:23:20 AM

doomturkey said:
All you need is high def software, like power DVD to play blu ray. Shouldn't be a loss in quality at all.

To capture HD quality shows you should get an HDTV tuner card.

So to view stuff off of my PC, I can just connect my HDTV to my PC instead of the monitor?
Related resources
June 11, 2008 6:33:56 AM

Yes you can.

All you will need to do that is a DVI to HDMI adapter, though I'm not sure how well the sound outputs. So maybe a sound cable too, unless you've got PC speakers.
June 11, 2008 12:04:30 PM

You can do it no problem and without signal loss. You just have to make sure that your hardware is HDCP compliant or else it will not work. As for software, most Blu-ray drives come with Powerdvd.
June 11, 2008 12:32:40 PM

If its not hdcp compliant, no worrys... slysoft anydvd takes care of the decryption (AACS and BD+) and hdcp.
June 16, 2008 4:52:50 AM

trying to figure out if i need a tuner card. comcast tells me i need to get another cable box and then a second cable box to go with that to get their hd content.

what do i need to tuner card for if i can get all of the local and cable hd content through the comcast boxes?

thanks.
!