Question on Netscaper Browser 8.0.3.3

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Hi everyone,

I do not use netscape (but am considering them as an ISP), and I was told by
some people at netscape (both the ISP part and the browser part - 2 separate
entities) that the ISP part only has e-mail (which I know is true), but the
browser has both e-mail and newsgroup access. I downloaded the latest
netscape browser and it has a webmail tab, but after searching all over
(including googling, as well as the netscape help), I can find no
reference to a newsreader of any sort in the current version of netscape, or
to access to a news server.

Am I blind or am I missing something, or did the kids at netscape tell me
wrong. Is there some kind of built in newsreader in the netscape browser,
or does it provide some kind of access to a netscape newsreader that I can't
find. Please enlighten me. Thanks...Pete

1. Netscape only offers web based email, there may be a short-cut built into the browser so you can go right to it. If you use IE, you will have to navigate through the Netscape website to it, or create a shortcut in the Favorites (Links) section.

2. If you have a POP3 Mail acct with another service, you should be able to download email from that server using the Netscape ISP, to OE. But you may have problems with sending email from OE. They may block port 25 for their smtp server if you are not using an internet connection provided by the mail acct.

3. If you want to use OE to access to a news server other than the MS News server (use link in signature to add MS News Server to OE), you will have to go to a third-party paid service to get access to newsgroups. There are very few if any reliable "free" servers anymore, and I can't recommend any one. Netscape may use the groups interface provided by GOOGLE, but I am not sure about that, and it may be limited.

4. Be aware that many ISP that advertise fast downloads, using a "Web Accelerator" service, by altering the image files be downloaded. This may cause image quality loss.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Pete wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I do not use netscape (but am considering them as an ISP), and I was told by
> some people at netscape (both the ISP part and the browser part - 2 separate
> entities) that the ISP part only has e-mail (which I know is true), but the
> browser has both e-mail and newsgroup access. I downloaded the latest
> netscape browser and it has a webmail tab, but after searching all over
> (including googling, as well as the netscape help), I can find no
> reference to a newsreader of any sort in the current version of netscape, or
> to access to a news server.
>
> Am I blind or am I missing something, or did the kids at netscape tell me
> wrong. Is there some kind of built in newsreader in the netscape browser,
> or does it provide some kind of access to a netscape newsreader that I can't
> find. Please enlighten me. Thanks...Pete

Netscape Browser version 8.x does NOT include a POP/SMTP client, chat
client, instant messenger client, html editor or newsreader. For
newsreader and POP/HTML mail client see the similar "Thunderbird" at
http://www.mozilla.org/products/ . You may also like to consider the
Firefox browser also at http://www.mozilla.org/products/. For html
document creation I have recently been using the open source "Composer"
dirivative "Nvu" at http://www.nvu.com/about.html . The instant
messenger in the earlier Netscape suites accessed the same servers as
the freely available and more capable AOL client.

Note that Compuserve, Netscape AND AOL Intrnet services are all
(AOL)Time Warner properties.

Netscape's portal is compatable with Firefox and located at
http://netcenter.netscape.com/netcenter/ . The browser interface for
Netscape mail has a link on the Netcenter portal. I have read reports
that the mail client for Netscape mail uses proprietary protocols that
may be incompatable with many POP3/SMTP clients. I was unable to get the
mail client in Netscape Suite 7.2 (note the earlier version #) to work
with Netscape's server.

Pete wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I do not use netscape (but am considering them as an ISP), and I was told by
> some people at netscape (both the ISP part and the browser part - 2 separate
> entities) that the ISP part only has e-mail (which I know is true), but the
> browser has both e-mail and newsgroup access. I downloaded the latest
> netscape browser and it has a webmail tab, but after searching all over
> (including googling, as well as the netscape help), I can find no
> reference to a newsreader of any sort in the current version of netscape, or
> to access to a news server.
>
> Am I blind or am I missing something, or did the kids at netscape tell me
> wrong. Is there some kind of built in newsreader in the netscape browser,
> or does it provide some kind of access to a netscape newsreader that I can't
> find. Please enlighten me. Thanks...Pete

Also note that the Firefox browser can access the Google Groups web
interface. Note that Google Groups only offer text USENET group access,
and doesn't support binary USENET groups. http://groups.google.com/

I don't know if Netscape ISP includes access to a USENET server. Access
to a limited set of groups for Netscape and Mozilla user and developer
support is available to the public and is compatable with Thunderbird
and Outlook Express.