Windows upgrade to external. possible??

EzRiIgK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
Hey All,

Back with another question. Still trying to repair a drive, with windows vista on it, that willl not boot.

Bought a new drive and installed windows vista on it. Is it possible to boot into windows, then load windows installation disk, then upgrade to the bad drive?? I can read the old drive via sata-to-usb, and have copied all of my personal files. But i would still be able to boot to this drive so i could clone it to the new drive. but can't boot into it. I believe i need to repair, or better yet replace, the systems files.

Anyway any help someone could give would be great.

Regards, Erik

Solution

Run a chkdsk /r on that backup disk. May just be a recoverable error.

From your other post, I see you have your personal files copied to the new drive ? Why not just run the todo restore to the old drive ?

EzRiIgK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012

Hey ksiemb, good question. for some reason EaseUs Todo will not read the PBD (the back up file). and now the backup file size is listed as 0kb. even though the drive reads as 631gb used (this drive is used only for backups).

so don't know what to do about it now.

Erik

Well, that certainly sucks ! - Only thing to do is contact their support team.
http://www.todo-backup.com/support/

EzRiIgK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012

Unfortunately, I am using the free version of the software and one can only contact the support team if you have a paid version! could find nothing on there foarms page. Don't know what else to do now!!

Erik

Run a chkdsk /r on that backup disk. May just be a recoverable error.

Solution

EzRiIgK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
hey ksiemb,

just wanted to give some closure to your last missive. ran the chkdsk /r and unforutanely the drive came back as empty. the pbd backup file is gone and there is 951gb free space. so guess everything is gone. oh well, guess i got an extra 1tb drive. gonna try the easeus todo file-by-file clone as a LAST resort. then i guess i'll just have to start clean. UGH!!!!!

Erik