Changing from Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit

caliban7

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Hi,
I have a laptop that is currently running Vista 32-bit and wanted to upgrade to 64-bit. Do I have to buy a new copy of Vista 64-bit with a new product key or can I re-install the computer with a copy of Vista 64-bit and use the product key from my copy of 32-bit to install it?
I've been trying to get answers online and it seems like all the answers are contradictory, does anyone know if its possible?
The laptop I'm using:
HP Pavilion dv6604cl
1 GB RAM (upgrading to either 3 or 4 GB in the future, I know I need 64-bit to run 4GB)
Thanks for the help!

Solution

i may have posted the wrong model number then, i decided to play around with the system and it turns out that vista x64 installs using the product key for the x32-bit system, i ended up swapping the ram out for 4gb and i am now running vista 64-bit with all 4 gb.

Product keys are specific to the version on the CD - You will have to buy the 64 bit version.

caliban7

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

i may have posted the wrong model number then, i decided to play around with the system and it turns out that vista x64 installs using the product key for the x32-bit system, i ended up swapping the ram out for 4gb and i am now running vista 64-bit with all 4 gb.

Solution