How do i unlock 4th core on Phenom II x3 720?

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
it would also depends on if that 4th core is really defective (hence it will never work), or if it was working, and just disabled to turn it into an X3.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I can't guarantee anything, however:

From what I remember reading, most Gigabyte and Biostar 790 chipset boards worked in unlocking the 4th core using the ACC feature by setting it to Auto.

But if your disabled core is really defective, it won't do you any good.

As I also understood it, Asus boards would not unlock because their chipset/BIOS stuff was customized.

That's what I remember reading about. I can't verify any board except for the Biostar TA790GX 128M mobo I bought and it worked.

However, your results may vary and I can't guarantee anything.

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
hmm, dunno if it's worth it, would my computer boot IF the 4th core was indeed defective? like, as in, the other 3 cores still run with the half-a$$ed core?

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
You need a 790GX chipset and apparently the BioStars are the best for unlocking.

If your computer didn't boot you would just have to clear the CMOS and restore default BIOS.

Summer Leigh Castle

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I think it's more dependent on your CPU. Some people are suggesting that fully functional 4-core phenom IIs were intentionally disabled to meet launch and could explained why initial responses were very positive. I don't know if that's true or not but it would be great if we could collect a comprehensive data base of build dates to find "stable" 4th core batches. :D

I was one of the lucky ones to get a stable 4-core 720x3. I had all four cores up to 3.4 stable at one point with voltage adjustment but found the increase noise of my CPU fan a little too loud for my taste. :p Less Noise > Marginal CPU gain.

BTW, I'm using a Asrock 790GX motherboard and it works great.

mountie

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

Is the x4 920 a BE? Or AM3?

Stingingfork

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I've got a Biostar TA790GX Motherboard and a Phenom 2 X3 720 BE CPU. I had no asperations of trying to get a fourth core from the three core processor but after reading the article on Tom's Hardware concerning their attempts at unlocking the fourth core with limited success I decided to enable the ACC in my bios and instantly after rebooting I came up with what appears to be a stable fourth core. I ran Cinebench for establishing a bench mark between the two cores (three and four) and here are the results:

Three Cores:
Rendering (Single CPU): 3226 CB-CPU
Rendering (Multiple CPU): 8582 CB-CPU

Four Cores:
Rendering (Single CPU): 3177 CB-CPU
Rendering (Multiple CPU): 11533 CB-CPU

The change appears to be completely stable at this point but could someone suggest some other benchmark tests that would push the limits of the current four cores to check on it's future stability? I've never been one in the past to run benchmark tests on my new builds. Based on the article I'm not sure if the change from the three to four core processor provides me any added benefits but I'm tempted to leave as four if there isn't any stability problems. What do you think?

Stingingfork

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
run prime95

Thanks jjbtexas for the suggestion. I came across Prime95 (Win 64 bit) this morning and ran it for about 9 hours with the new unlocked CPU passing every test so I guess that puts a dent in the comments I read about the X3's being built from defective X4's.

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
but, why would AMD deliberately disable good functioning cores and sell it as a cheaper 3-core? Don't they make more money in the first place by selling a AM3 Phenom II quad?

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
they don't, all of them are slightly defective, except one batch which was to meet demand.

and don't forget the 720 is in a fairly high demand due to being better and cheaper than the e8400.

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

how exactly do you clear the CMOS and restore default BIOS?

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

:heink: ???
Cheating at what? was there a point to your post? It does not make any sense!

anybody respond on how to restore CMOS and BIOS in case it was unsuccessful?