Sign in with
Your question

In desperate need of help...Just built new computer (UPdate: SOLVED!)

Last response: in CPUs
July 2, 2008 8:29:06 AM

Hi! So I just built my computer myself...And I'm having a bit of trouble...

This is my computer setup:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80580Q9300 -

- Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

- MSI P7N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK - Retail

- PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V Power Supply - Retail

- Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

- LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail

- XFX PVT98FYDF9 GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI

Okay so, my problem is I'm getting massive BSOD's....One problem that I know of is my CD drive....Whenever I open or close it, a BSOD occurs...however...If I keep the CD in the cd drive, boot in safe mode, then reboot to normal mode, I can read everything in the CD drive....If I right click on my CD drive in My Computer and go to eject, it'll eject fine...But then again, I push the button and it goes in and BSOD.....

So far I have not changed anything in my BIOS settings...I wasn't sure if my cpu was running too hot or if my voltage is wrong or something? I don't know much about it but here is the H/W Monitor settings, or what my cpu is running at:

CPU Tempearture : 31 C / 87 F
System Temp: 39 C / 102 F

CPU Fan Speed 2183 RPM

CPU Vcore: 1.128 V
3.3V: 3.376 V
5V: 5.003 V
12V : 12.144 V

OKay now, here I think there's a problem...I go into Cell Menu to check out my CPU settings nad what not....and here's the list....Here's what the menu looks like:

Current CPU Frequency 2.49GHz ( 333x7.5)
Current FSP Frequency 1333Mhz
Current DRAM Frequency 800 Mhz

D.O.T. control [disabled]
Intel EIST [disabled]
System Clock Mode [Auto]
Adjust CPU Ratio [7.5]

Adjust PCI-E Frequency (MHz) [100]

CPU Voltage (V) 0.00000V
Memory Voltage(V) 1.90
VTT FSB Voltage(V) 1.200
NB Voltage(V) 1.24
SB Core Power(V) 1.50

Whenever I highligh CPU Voltage(V) on the right it says Min: By CPU Default Maxx: 0.3000V

And actually one thing I did change, is under Advanced BIOS features:

Primary Graphic's Adapter (Was at PCI): I changed it to PCI-E....My graphics card is not in the PCI 2.0 express slot because it's too big and it runs into my harddrive...not a big deal because i'm going to run it in SLI with another graphics card...

Any way, so that's where I"m at right now...I installed the motherboard drivers I believe, ( I used whatever CD came with it)...And I'm stuck...Since I've never built my own computer before I really don't know what to even try to do...Thanks so much!

EDIT:

I thought this would be helpful to know...While I was installing Vista 64bit, I got a BSOD...Yeah, new one to me, even before the installation was finished I got a BSOD...I'm just wondering if I set something up wrong, or plugged something in wrong. I think everything is working fine though? Thanks agian
July 2, 2008 9:17:15 AM

Ever probed the avenue that the dvd drive is SATA? I recon it calls an interrupt when in operation that might cause conflict on the SATA hub (on chip or off). So for interest sake, where is the HD and DVD connected to?
July 2, 2008 9:20:01 AM

""I changed it to PCI-E....My graphics card is not in the PCI 2.0 express slot because it's too big and it runs into my harddrive...not a big deal because i'm going to run it in SLI with another graphics card... ""

i really dont understand. Where is your card if not in the PCI-E slot?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2008 9:36:49 AM

If that motherboard supports RAID and has colourcoded SATA it could cause issues having an optical and HDD on the same coloured set.

Took me ages to figure that one out with my build!

EDIT: added coloured.
July 2, 2008 9:43:50 AM

Paul_gren said:
""I changed it to PCI-E....My graphics card is not in the PCI 2.0 express slot because it's too big and it runs into my harddrive...not a big deal because i'm going to run it in SLI with another graphics card... ""

i really dont understand. Where is your card if not in the PCI-E slot?

i think he put it in the 2nd pcie slot. He has a sli mobo in any case.
@drumboy- try the dvd in another sata port, and put achi mode off
July 2, 2008 9:52:13 AM

I had a similar problem when installing windows onto a RAID 0 array using 2 of the HD drives you mention. After Installation it would BSOD seeming randomly. I put it down to a bad installation, wiped and started again. Upon starting again I could not even install without getting BSOD's. Eventually traced it to 1 of the HD drives being faulty even tho the BIOS reported it being ok.

Try your HD on another computer if u can and try reading and writing to it to test it is my recommendation.
July 2, 2008 10:12:56 AM

Vokofpolisiekar said:
Ever probed the avenue that the dvd drive is SATA? I recon it calls an interrupt when in operation that might cause conflict on the SATA hub (on chip or off). So for interest sake, where is the HD and DVD connected to?

The HD and DVD are actually connected on the same SATA connectors on the mobo...Or if that doesn't make sense...The Mobo has 4 sata connectors....2 connectors on 2 different plug-ins....Both plug-ins are right next to eachother.........

mi1ez said:
If that motherboard supports RAID and has colourcoded SATA it could cause issues having an optical and HDD on the same coloured set.

Took me ages to figure that one out with my build!

EDIT: added coloured.

Yeah the motherboard supports RAID...

blackwidow_rsa said:
i think he put it in the 2nd pcie slot. He has a sli mobo in any case.
@drumboy- try the dvd in another sata port, and put achi mode off

Okay this is what the other 2 above I guess were saying, I'll switch them so they're in 2 different plug-ins.....What exactly is "achi" mode?

EDIT: Thanks btw for the very fast response.....It's pretty late here so I'm going to go to bed and as soon as I wake up I'll try switching the SATA's to the two differnet plug-ins and update...thanks again
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2008 3:21:22 PM

AHCI stands for Advanced Host Controller Interface. It enables more advanced power saving and performance features in compatible SATA drives (one big benefit is native command queuing). ATA mode is the basic mode - slower, but if you're having problems, that would be one good thing to try if you are currently in AHCI (the setting is in the BIOS).
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2008 3:40:52 PM

You dont say when you get the BSOD - but I had a similar problem with 64 - there is a bug due to a memory issue.

try running the system with only 2gb installed and then go to Windows update and seach for the Vists 64 memory patch..... this should install and solve your problems.

a b à CPUs
July 2, 2008 3:44:50 PM

a quick search on www.microsoft.com reveals the details of the patch :-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

seems daft to me that Vista 64 is all about higher RAM useage in your pc... but wont install with it.

Took me a while to find a solution when I had these problems - then found an obscure post somewhere that pointed me in the right direction

July 2, 2008 10:33:21 PM

Ah yes! I believe it was the memory....I took out one stick, reinstalled Vista 64 and it went through...updated, then put the memory stick in and so far so good! Thanks so much for all of y'alls help...Hopefully I won't have any more problems
July 2, 2008 10:52:12 PM

I have a question....I downloaded CoreTemp and it says that my CPUs are running from 49C to 56C with 0 - 8% load...Although, inh my BIOS it says CPU temp is 30C...Which one is wrong?
!