Sign in with
Your question

Pc not posting

Last response: in Motherboards
July 24, 2008 11:25:17 AM

Please can you help, i have posted this on another forum but have had no replies. My boyfriend suggested i use his account and try posting here.

I turned on my computer yesterday and it wouldnt post. I have made no changes it was fine the day before.

I unplugged all drives, devices etc and tried just with the mainboard, ram, cpu and video card and still not a beep. I tried using just one stick of ram and reset the cmos with the jumper and then the battery and still nothing. All the fans are working, power on etc , just no normal beep beep at startup. I cant hear if the hard drive is spinning but am I right in thinking it should post without this connected ?

I think it must be the mainboard or cpu but I have no way of testing these. I usually manage to sort out my own problems by googling using forums etc but I dont know how to test the mainboard or cpu and they wont fit in my other computer.

There is one computer shop near me , I was hoping there would be some kind of way to test the cpu and mainboard but the man on the phone didnt even know what Power On Self Test was so there was no way I would take my pride and joy into him. He just kept saying they would test them with software ?

The computer is 13 months old just out of warranty and I bought it from Komplett in Holland , I live in the UK so I do not want to send it back . My boyfriend wants to just buy a new mainboard cpu and memory but I dont want to spend his money if I can just replace one part.

I bought and fitted a new power supply 4 weeks ago, a corsair TS650W ( Just the fan on my old power supply had died). Do you think there is any chance that the new power supply is faulty and has fried my mainboard ? Is there anyway to get a power supply tested in a shop with some kind of meter ? I wouldnt want to buy a new mainboard and have that fry to.

Does anyone have any suggestions or things I could try, or can you tell me if a good repair shop should be able to test the mainboard ,cpu and power supply and how they would do it , maybe I can phone round some other places and know what to ask for.

Any advice or suggestions would be great. Im lost without my computer and am just staring into the case hoping something will happen :) 

Point of View GeForce 8800GTS 320MB,
Windows Vista Home Premium Eng
PC5300 DDR2 4G
MSI K9N NEO-F, nForce 550
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Socket AM2

Thanks

More about : posting

July 24, 2008 12:09:40 PM

Ok so the PSU does work...you said the fan's spin. If it's not you can try just the PSU by itself (just bend a paperclip into the main 24 connector; one into the green wire, one into a black wire then turn it on....dont worry you wont get electrocuted, ive dont it many times) You did say it worked yesterday which is very strange. Did you have your PC hooked up to a surge protector? you could have had a spike/surge which could have fried the CPU.

Really without any activity at all it's hard to troubleshoot...maybe the repair shop has replacement parts or at least parts that fit your specs you could 'use' to test (DDR2 type RAM, Socket AM2)...if it's a good repair shop, i'd think they'd have replacement parts ready to go to be able to test.
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2008 1:21:59 PM

If the PSU has a 115V/230V switch on it, make sure it's set to the proper voltage for your country.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2008 1:36:22 PM

Be sure your MB is hooked to a working speaker. Working speaker meaning the MB BIOS beeps would normally be heard when booting the computer. Remove ALL the RAM. Boot the computer with NO RAM. If you hear NO BEEPS, it means your MB does not recognize there is no RAM in the system and fails to beep designating no RAM. You have a bad MB or CPU.
July 24, 2008 4:52:58 PM

Yes my computer was plugged into a surge protector, I also unplug it all from the mains at night.

The power supply seems to work fine, eveything was getting power before I disconnected it.

I only wanted to get the power supply tested before I used it in my new system incase it was that that had fried my cpu or mainboard ( I dont know how likely that is). I dont trust the repair shop I spoke to and have seen online , a power supply test unit which I will have to order and try. Its not the fact that I think it dosnt work , I wanted to check it was giving out the correct voltage and was stable.

The whole system was working like a dream with the new power supply in for 4 weeks. I have the computer running all day every day, and it has been under load with my games etc with no issue.

I just turned it off that night and the next day it didnt POST. My speaker is connected and still working because at one stage when I was trying to elimanate the faulty part I disconnected the power to the video card but left it seated in its slot and the speaker gave out one loud beep , before I quickly turned it off.

The power supply dosnt have a switch on it, it says in the manual it auto sets to my countrys voltage.

I tried the no ram thing and there was no beep at all.

Im at a total lost, I am sure it must be the mainboard or the cpu, so I suppose I have no choice but to upgrade them as I dont have the knowledge or facilities to check them. The only pc shops round here are Pissy world and C.E.X . I think that says enough :p 

Thanks for you comments, I will check back later incase anything else is added. :) 
July 24, 2008 7:32:21 PM

overclockers web note system is quite good.. theyve helped me out a fair few times.

prob sounds stupid but if the computer worked fine for a number of weeks without any hitch and then just failed to POST ( duno what tht is lol, guessing u mean startup) then i would guess at ESD??? to mobo or CPU perhaps didnt fully short it out but damaged a component. therefore shortening its life span especially when you use it under load 24-7.

look on the bright side lol this give you and excuse to upgrade your mobo and cpu
a c 140 V Motherboard
July 24, 2008 8:04:00 PM

If your system didn't have the ability to complain through beeps that it had no RAM, then Badge is probably right about the mobo or CPU being dead.

-BUT-

The speaker you heard when the GPU wasn't getting power isn't the one on the mobo, it is on the graphics card. There should be a separate speaker on the mobo, or plugged into pins right next to the power and reset switch pins, and the power and HD activity LEDs. If there's no speaker there, you should probably try to get one before concluding that no beeps mean a bad mobo. A repair shop should be able to sell you one for a couple of $.
July 25, 2008 8:00:49 AM

Hehe I am looking on the bright side and upgrading to quad core, I have learnt a lot from your comments thank you all. I hope I didnt fry my 8800gts as well with my faffing :p 

I am buying a power supply tester meter as well before I put it in my new machine.

Thanks again, I suppose this is as resolved as its going to get, If I dont fiddle with these things I wont learn I guess :) 
!