eve.

Last response: in Video Games
August 7, 2005 10:17:13 PM

so.. smeg and quix play.. names? started last night as Adept Aoi. i need to
have people i know available ;p

--
Adept

More about : eve

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 1:45:29 AM

"DEbig3" <debig3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> so.. smeg and quix play.. names? started last night as Adept Aoi. i need
> have people i know available ;p

Not me. I don't have the kind of time for that sinkhole. I quit after the
free trial. Look for Smegimus Maximus or some such though...

Quixote
August 8, 2005 2:07:31 AM

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 18:17:13 -0500, DEbig3 <debig3@yahoo.com> wrote:

>so.. smeg and quix play.. names? started last night as Adept Aoi. i need to
>have people i know available ;p

Cool!

I'm training a character called Kris Kochanski. A character from Red
Dwarf.

I'm currently HQ'd in the Rens starsystem and parked at the Brutor
Tribe Treasury.
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
August 8, 2005 11:26:06 AM

"DEbig3" <debig3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> so.. smeg and quix play.. names? started last night as Adept Aoi. i need
> have people i know available ;p
>
> --
> Adept

I'm just starting to download the trial.

I suddenly have an urge to play it after reading this tw thread:

www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390377&page=1...
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:26:07 AM

One day, while skipping through the forest, I heard the voice of "Adrian
Ng" <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> coming from a tree, and thought, "Man, this
is f*ed up," but carried on the following conversation anyway:

> "DEbig3" <debig3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> so.. smeg and quix play.. names? started last night as Adept Aoi. i
>> need to have people i know available ;p
>>
>> --
>> Adept
>
> I'm just starting to download the trial.
>
> I suddenly have an urge to play it after reading this tw thread:
>
> www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390377&page=1...

same reason i started.

--
Adept
Anonymous

> One day, while skipping through the forest, I heard the voice of "Adrian
> Ng" <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> coming from a tree, and thought, "Man, this
> is f*ed up," but carried on the following conversation anyway:
>

>> "DEbig3" <debig3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> so.. smeg and quix play.. names? started last night as Adept Aoi. i
>>> need to have people i know available ;p
>>>
>>> --
>>> Adept
>>
>> I'm just starting to download the trial.
>>
>> I suddenly have an urge to play it after reading this tw thread:
>>
>> www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390377&page=1...
>>

> same reason i started.
>
> --
> Adept

Well my character is called King Adrian
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:46:04 AM

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:04:07 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>"DEbig3" <debig3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> One day, while skipping through the forest, I heard the voice of "Adrian
>> Ng" <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> coming from a tree, and thought, "Man, this
>> is f*ed up," but carried on the following conversation anyway:
>>

>>> "DEbig3" <debig3@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I'm just starting to download the trial.
>>>
>>> I suddenly have an urge to play it after reading this tw thread:
>>>
>>> www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390377&page=1...
>>>

>> same reason i started.
>>
>> --
>> Adept
>
>Well my character is called King Adrian

I'll be addin' ya to me buddylist! I'm Kris Kochanski.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 8:50:27 AM

"Scott Henry" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:04:07 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
> <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>

>>"DEbig3" <debig3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> One day, while skipping through the forest, I heard the voice of "Adrian
>>> Ng" <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> coming from a tree, and thought, "Man,
>>> this
>>> is f*ed up," but carried on the following conversation anyway:

>>> same reason i started.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Adept
>>
>>Well my character is called King Adrian
>
> I'll be addin' ya to me buddylist! I'm Kris Kochanski.

What do people usually do? Mine asteroids?

Sounds somewhat... boring.

To get some cashflow i've just started doing the NPC agent missions.

Then maybe some real people missions.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 8:50:28 AM

One day, while skipping through the forest, I heard the voice of "Adrian
Ng" <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> coming from a tree, and thought, "Man, this
is f*ed up," but carried on the following conversation anyway:

> "Scott Henry" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:04:07 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
>> <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"DEbig3" <debig3@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Well my character is called King Adrian
>>
>> I'll be addin' ya to me buddylist! I'm Kris Kochanski.
>>

> What do people usually do? Mine asteroids?
>
> Sounds somewhat... boring.
>
> To get some cashflow i've just started doing the NPC agent missions.
>
> Then maybe some real people missions.

ive been doing agent missions, with occasional mining trips. i got a frigate
specifically for mining, but ive barely used it :o

--
Adept
August 9, 2005 1:58:55 PM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 04:50:27 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>"Scott Henry" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:04:07 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
>> <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"DEbig3" <debig3@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Well my character is called King Adrian
>>
>> I'll be addin' ya to me buddylist! I'm Kris Kochanski.
>>

>What do people usually do? Mine asteroids?
>
>Sounds somewhat... boring.
>
>To get some cashflow i've just started doing the NPC agent missions.
>
>Then maybe some real people missions.

Mining can be quite lucrative.

Buy yeah, that's what a lot of people do to start off.

The missions are also quite lucrative. Be sure to run the storyline
missions without fail. They're the ones that pay off big. And they
strongly affect your standing with various factions within the game.

If you're going to be running missions, be sure to train up your
Social skill. It improves your standing with the NPC agents and that
means better paying mission rewards.

Also, have an idea what you want to do with your character. Study up
on their racial strengths and play to that. If you have a scientist,
start training to be able to do research and development. They can
also become effective builders and if you have blueprints, you can
make unlimited copies of the item for only the cost of the materials,
then turn and sell them on the market for a ton of cash. Particularly
if you build Battleships and Cruisers.

www.eve-i.com is an excellent site for researching training times,
comparing ship stats, etc. It also has a live server stat monitor.
Showing you user numbers in a scalable graph from minutes to hours to
months. Really gives you an idea of player numbers and when the peak
hours are.

Also, it's generally recommended that when you're offline and want to
train something worthwhile, purchase and train Analytical Mind,
Instant Recall and Learning. I believe it's even in that order. Train
each one to level 1. Then start AM to level 2, then IR, then L. Wash,
rinse, repeat. Up to, at least, the 4th level.

When you get into skills that literally take MONTHS to train, it'll
knock days or weeks off the training time. And reduce new skills to
just minutes.

ADVICE! Pay for an augmented CLONE! Do it NOW! If you get podded, and
it WILL happen. You lose most of your training. Your default clone has
only a fraction of your acquired knowledge. But, if you buy a clone
(rated by class, depending on how many experience points you want to
retain upon death) that has been augmented, he/she has your trained
skills uploaded as you go. So when you die, your clone is as skilled
as you were.

It's also good to buy insurance on your ship. Helps to get things
moving again financially when you're outfitting a new one. You can
also go back to the point in space where you lost your ship and
collect your loot canister if you were killed in a mission by NPC
characters. Some of your weapons should still be there. They'll need
to be repaired, but it's cheaper than buying new ones.

Review:
* Be sure to do the storyline missions, they're the ones where you get
an email from another agent specifying they have urgent need.
* Train according to your goals. Don't waste time training stuff you
don't currently need.
* Train learning skills early!
* Buy an augmented clone!
* Insure your ship.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
August 9, 2005 2:03:01 PM

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 07:26:06 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>"DEbig3" <debig3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> so.. smeg and quix play.. names? started last night as Adept Aoi. i need
>> have people i know available ;p
>>
>> --
>> Adept
>
>I'm just starting to download the trial.
>
>I suddenly have an urge to play it after reading this tw thread:
>
>www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390377&page=1...

HA! I had no idea who that guy was! His face is plastered up all over
Empire space. He has a several billion ISK bounty on his head. :)
Cool.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
August 9, 2005 10:28:15 PM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 15:11:52 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

[Snip]

>All of that play was very fun, but when it comes to fighting there is just
>something missing where you push a single button and the game does all the
>fighting for you, and who ever has the most numbers wins. I need
>seat-of-the pants fighting where skill can out-do weapons size on occasion.

It's definitely bigger guns and better skills that win the fight. But
it also takes reflexes to manage your resources, shields, capacitors
and repair systems in fight. It gets very hectic.

It's more strategy than dogfight. But it can get pretty white-knuckle
when bigger ships and bigger weapons and bigger losses are in the mix
slugging it out.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> (rated by class, depending on how many experience points you want to
> retain upon death) that has been augmented, he/she has your trained
> skills uploaded as you go. So when you die, your clone is as skilled
> as you were.
>
> It's also good to buy insurance on your ship. Helps to get things
> moving again financially when you're outfitting a new one. You can
> also go back to the point in space where you lost your ship and
> collect your loot canister if you were killed in a mission by NPC
> characters. Some of your weapons should still be there. They'll need
> to be repaired, but it's cheaper than buying new ones.
>
> Review:
> * Be sure to do the storyline missions, they're the ones where you get
> an email from another agent specifying they have urgent need.
> * Train according to your goals. Don't waste time training stuff you

yeah yeh. give isk.
August 9, 2005 11:29:00 PM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 19:28:59 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"

Biggie has your ISK. :)

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

Quixote wrote:
> All of that play was very fun, but when it comes to fighting there is
> just something missing where you push a single button and the game
> does all the fighting for you, and who ever has the most numbers
> wins. I need seat-of-the pants fighting where skill can out-do
> weapons size on occasion.

HUH?!?!?! You don't get to fight?!?!?

August 10, 2005 11:20:09 AM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Quixote wrote:
>> All of that play was very fun, but when it comes to fighting there is
>> just something missing where you push a single button and the game
>> does all the fighting for you, and who ever has the most numbers
>> wins. I need seat-of-the pants fighting where skill can out-do
>> weapons size on occasion.
>

> HUH?!?!?! You don't get to fight?!?!?

Let me clarify. You do fight, but it is similar to other RPGs where you
basically just click on the target and shoot your cannons, counter measures,
etc, in which all the aiming is done for you. It is not like a space
simulator where you actually have to fly well enough to get the enemy in
your sites and then actually active blast away at them. What it comes down
to is who has the most powerful weapons, best shields, turning radius, etc.
It is a numbers game and its hit points versus hit points. Now as smeg
pointed out there is some requirement of timing and response, but not flight
simulation with dog fighting style play.

Quixote
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:25:18 PM

Quixote wrote:
EVE (of destruction?)
> Let me clarify. You do fight, but it is similar to other RPGs where you
> basically just click on the target and shoot your cannons, counter measures,
> etc, in which all the aiming is done for you. It is not like a space
> simulator where you actually have to fly well enough to get the enemy in
> your sites and then actually active blast away at them. What it comes down
> to is who has the most powerful weapons, best shields, turning radius, etc.
> It is a numbers game and its hit points versus hit points. Now as smeg
> pointed out there is some requirement of timing and response, but not flight
> simulation with dog fighting style play.

You don't do dogfights with megatonne spacecraft.

Of course, there's fighters there too, but yeah.
--
Frank
August 10, 2005 3:25:19 PM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:25:18 +0200, Frank van Schie
<frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:

>Quixote wrote:
>EVE (of destruction?)
>> Let me clarify. You do fight, but it is similar to other RPGs where you
>> basically just click on the target and shoot your cannons, counter measures,
>> etc, in which all the aiming is done for you. It is not like a space
>> simulator where you actually have to fly well enough to get the enemy in
>> your sites and then actually active blast away at them. What it comes down
>> to is who has the most powerful weapons, best shields, turning radius, etc.
>> It is a numbers game and its hit points versus hit points. Now as smeg
>> pointed out there is some requirement of timing and response, but not flight
>> simulation with dog fighting style play.
>
>You don't do dogfights with megatonne spacecraft.
>
>Of course, there's fighters there too, but yeah.

Yeah, that's true. Hulking ships are not nimble fighters. :)

It's kinda like David Braben's Elite in that the computers do the
aiming, you do the targeting and firing.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

One day, while skipping through the forest, I heard the voice of Smeghead
<tribesfan@hotmail.com> coming from a tree, and thought, "Man, this is

bastard.

--
Adept
Anonymous

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Quixote wrote:
>> All of that play was very fun, but when it comes to fighting there is
>> just something missing where you push a single button and the game
>> does all the fighting for you, and who ever has the most numbers
>> wins. I need seat-of-the pants fighting where skill can out-do
>> weapons size on occasion.
>

> HUH?!?!?! You don't get to fight?!?!?

I, so far, haven't been in a fight.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:47:56 PM

Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in

> You don't do dogfights with megatonne spacecraft.
>
> Of course, there's fighters there too, but yeah.

I can't remember if I posted this here before:

http://www.merzo.net/

Spacecraft from lots of different stories, shown to scale, from the tiny to
the insanely huge. (The Ringworld is included.)
August 11, 2005 12:06:23 AM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:47:56 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in
>
>> You don't do dogfights with megatonne spacecraft.
>>
>> Of course, there's fighters there too, but yeah.
>
>I can't remember if I posted this here before:
>
>http://www.merzo.net/
>
>Spacecraft from lots of different stories, shown to scale, from the tiny to
>the insanely huge. (The Ringworld is included.)

Oh, wow! Awesome...

No, you didn't share this before. And if you did, I missed it and
thank you for sharing the link now!

I used to have a Star Wars Vehicles book that I used for the old West
End Games Star Wars Roleplaying game. It had silhouettes of the
various vehicles in scale.

Good old Niven's Ringworld. I'd play Halo and it'd bring back thoughts
of his novels that I hadn't read since I was in my early teens.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
August 11, 2005 12:12:14 AM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:58:05 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> Quixote wrote:
>>> All of that play was very fun, but when it comes to fighting there is
>>> just something missing where you push a single button and the game
>>> does all the fighting for you, and who ever has the most numbers
>>> wins. I need seat-of-the pants fighting where skill can out-do
>>> weapons size on occasion.
>>

>> HUH?!?!?! You don't get to fight?!?!?
>
>I, so far, haven't been in a fight.

If you speak to security or intelligence agents they'll give you
assassination and kill jobs.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

Smeghead <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in

> ADVICE! Pay for an augmented CLONE! Do it NOW! If you get podded, and
> it WILL happen. You lose most of your training. Your default clone has
> only a fraction of your acquired knowledge. But, if you buy a clone
> (rated by class, depending on how many experience points you want to
> retain upon death) that has been augmented, he/she has your trained
> skills uploaded as you go. So when you die, your clone is as skilled
> as you were.

I once got a catalog from a novelty surplus company that included a Do-It-
Yourself Clone Kit. Said the blurb, "Be the first on your block to be the
second on your block!"
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:41:54 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:25:18 +0200, Frank van Schie
> <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:
>
>> Quixote wrote:
>> EVE (of destruction?)
>>> Let me clarify. You do fight, but it is similar to other RPGs
>>> where you basically just click on the target and shoot your
>>> cannons, counter measures, etc, in which all the aiming is done for
>>> you. It is not like a space simulator where you actually have to
>>> fly well enough to get the enemy in your sites and then actually
>>> active blast away at them. What it comes down to is who has the
>>> most powerful weapons, best shields, turning radius, etc. It is a
>>> numbers game and its hit points versus hit points. Now as smeg
>>> pointed out there is some requirement of timing and response, but
>>> not flight simulation with dog fighting style play.
>>
>> You don't do dogfights with megatonne spacecraft.
>>
>> Of course, there's fighters there too, but yeah.
>
> Yeah, that's true. Hulking ships are not nimble fighters. :)
>
> It's kinda like David Braben's Elite in that the computers do the
> aiming, you do the targeting and firing.

But what about person-to-person. like in Tribes?

August 11, 2005 11:11:09 AM

On 11 Aug 2005 05:41:54 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:25:18 +0200, Frank van Schie
>> <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:
>>
>>> Quixote wrote:
>>> EVE (of destruction?)
>>>
>>> You don't do dogfights with megatonne spacecraft.
>>>
>>> Of course, there's fighters there too, but yeah.
>>
>> Yeah, that's true. Hulking ships are not nimble fighters. :)
>>
>> It's kinda like David Braben's Elite in that the computers do the
>> aiming, you do the targeting and firing.
>

> But what about person-to-person. like in Tribes?

Nope, this is strictly ship-to-ship. You live IN space.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

Smeghead wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2005 05:41:54 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
> wrote:
>> But what about person-to-person. like in Tribes?
>
> Nope, this is strictly ship-to-ship. You live IN space.

Well that suxx0rs. Let me get some time, and I'll check it out
firsthand- but first, I gotta get my ultimate machine built........

Do you have a body to move about? Or is it just a view
through eyes type of thing?

August 12, 2005 12:44:13 AM

On 11 Aug 2005 20:44:12 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> On 11 Aug 2005 05:41:54 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
>> wrote:
>>> But what about person-to-person. like in Tribes?
>>
>> Nope, this is strictly ship-to-ship. You live IN space.
>

> Well that suxx0rs. Let me get some time, and I'll check it out
>firsthand- but first, I gotta get my ultimate machine built........
>
> Do you have a body to move about? Or is it just a view
>through eyes type of thing?

Your "body" is your ship. The only thing you see of "you" is a static
image of your character that you painstakingly craft every little
nuance of at the very beginning of your characters existance. Tilt of
the head, height of the cheekbones, lighting, background etc. You can
make yourself look as sleazy or angelic as you like.

But you are, for all intents and purposes, whatever ship you are in.

There's no 1st person running about. It is, after all, an RPG. And Eve
puts the "Massive" in massively multiplayer.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:58:05 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
> <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>

>>"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>>>

>>> HUH?!?!?! You don't get to fight?!?!?
>>
>>I, so far, haven't been in a fight.
>
> If you speak to security or intelligence agents they'll give you
> assassination and kill jobs.
>
> --
> --==<S m e g h e a d>==--

typical. first fight i get into and my destroyer gets blown up.

but yay for insurance.
August 12, 2005 12:53:12 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:34:34 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:58:05 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
>> <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message

>>>I, so far, haven't been in a fight.
>>
>> If you speak to security or intelligence agents they'll give you
>> assassination and kill jobs.
>>
>> --
>> --==<S m e g h e a d>==--
>
>typical. first fight i get into and my destroyer gets blown up.
>
>but yay for insurance.

How'd you like that feeling? Watching your shields, armor then
structure stats drop and then the slight pause as Server and Client
agree: Yep, he's dead. Show him the explosion and pod. :)

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
August 12, 2005 1:02:21 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:46:57 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

[not so much clipping as major culling]

If you mean get a ton of cash, but quick, you might need a little
more.

What race are you? I'm not familiar with the racial equivalents to
various ships. But what I did was:

* Buy a huge secured container. The one that holds about 4,000m3
* I used a Minmatar Destroyer with cargo expanders (with mining speed
isn't a priority)
* Strap on as many mining lasers as possible. I used 5 basic miners at
first, then went to about 3 Dual Diode miners. It fills a 400m3 hold
FAST.
* Learn Anchoring so you can secure your can and prevent a pirate from
hauling it off.
* Use a missile launcher or projectile weapon to afford you at least
some protection from 'rats.
* I used an Industrial Hauler, a Minmatar Wreath (cargo cap of
5,000m3) to empty the can and take the ore to market.

At first I would unancher the can, and haul the can in. But eventually
it didn't make sense to go through all that trouble. I'd just empty it
into the hauler's hold. Leave the can anchored.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

Smeghead wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:47:56 -0500, ScratchMonkey
> <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:
>

>>Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in
>>

>>>You don't do dogfights with megatonne spacecraft.
>>>
>>>Of course, there's fighters there too, but yeah.
>>
>>I can't remember if I posted this here before:
>>
>>http://www.merzo.net/
>>
>>Spacecraft from lots of different stories, shown to scale, from the tiny to
>>the insanely huge. (The Ringworld is included.)
>

> Oh, wow! Awesome...
>
> No, you didn't share this before. And if you did, I missed it and
> thank you for sharing the link now!
>
> I used to have a Star Wars Vehicles book that I used for the old West
> End Games Star Wars Roleplaying game. It had silhouettes of the
> various vehicles in scale.
>
> Good old Niven's Ringworld. I'd play Halo and it'd bring back thoughts
> of his novels that I hadn't read since I was in my early teens.

But Halo isn't a ringworld, constructed around a sun. It's an orbital,
and they feature profusely in Iain M. Banks' Culture novels. Very
popular place to live, apparently, though GSVs would strike my fancy
more, I think.

(General Systems Vehicles, up to a few hundred kilometers long, housing
up to a few hundred million people, all run by three Minds, and with
names such as Little Rascal, Youthful Indiscretion, No More Mr Nice Guy,
Size Isn't Everything, etc. Ship names:
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Culture%20Ship...)

If you haven't read Iain M. Banks' Culture novels you need to start ASAP.
--
Frank
August 12, 2005 7:27:58 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:27:57 +0200, Frank van Schie
<frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:47:56 -0500, ScratchMonkey
>> <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in

>>>I can't remember if I posted this here before:
>>>
>>>http://www.merzo.net/
>>>
>>>Spacecraft from lots of different stories, shown to scale, from the tiny to
>>>the insanely huge. (The Ringworld is included.)
>>

>> Oh, wow! Awesome...
>>
>> No, you didn't share this before. And if you did, I missed it and
>> thank you for sharing the link now!
>>
>> I used to have a Star Wars Vehicles book that I used for the old West
>> End Games Star Wars Roleplaying game. It had silhouettes of the
>> various vehicles in scale.
>>
>> Good old Niven's Ringworld. I'd play Halo and it'd bring back thoughts
>> of his novels that I hadn't read since I was in my early teens.
>
>But Halo isn't a ringworld, constructed around a sun. It's an orbital,
>and they feature profusely in Iain M. Banks' Culture novels. Very
>popular place to live, apparently, though GSVs would strike my fancy
>more, I think.
>
>(General Systems Vehicles, up to a few hundred kilometers long, housing
>up to a few hundred million people, all run by three Minds, and with
>names such as Little Rascal, Youthful Indiscretion, No More Mr Nice Guy,
>Size Isn't Everything, etc. Ship names:
>http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Culture%20Ship...)
>
>If you haven't read Iain M. Banks' Culture novels you need to start ASAP.

It's not Star Trek is it? "This is Jean Luc Picard of the Federation
Flagship Unacceptable Behaviour" Hehehe

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:46:57 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
> <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
> [not so much clipping as major culling]
>
> If you mean get a ton of cash, but quick, you might need a little
> more.
>
> What race are you? I'm not familiar with the racial equivalents to
> various ships. But what I did was:
>
> * Buy a huge secured container. The one that holds about 4,000m3
> * I used a Minmatar Destroyer with cargo expanders (with mining speed
> isn't a priority)
> * Strap on as many mining lasers as possible. I used 5 basic miners at
> first, then went to about 3 Dual Diode miners. It fills a 400m3 hold
> FAST.
> * Learn Anchoring so you can secure your can and prevent a pirate from
> hauling it off.
> * Use a missile launcher or projectile weapon to afford you at least
> some protection from 'rats.
> * I used an Industrial Hauler, a Minmatar Wreath (cargo cap of
> 5,000m3) to empty the can and take the ore to market.
>
> At first I would unancher the can, and haul the can in. But eventually
> it didn't make sense to go through all that trouble. I'd just empty it
> into the hauler's hold. Leave the can anchored.
>
>>i have 1.3 million isk.
>>
>>is that enough cash to do the same thing you did?
>
> --
> --==<S m e g h e a d>==--

well i'm halfway through setting myself up.

i've got industrial skill to train and then buy a cargo hold.

but i don't think my gallente destroyer can hold 5 mining lasers.

i think i could just get my industrial barge to do the mining, yes?
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 8:47:10 PM

"Adrian Ng" <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:D dihv0$qf5$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

> "Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:46:57 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
>> <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> [not so much clipping as major culling]
>>
>> If you mean get a ton of cash, but quick, you might need a little
>> more.
>>
>> What race are you? I'm not familiar with the racial equivalents to
>> various ships. But what I did was:
>>
>> * Buy a huge secured container. The one that holds about 4,000m3
>> * I used a Minmatar Destroyer with cargo expanders (with mining speed
>> isn't a priority)
>> * Strap on as many mining lasers as possible. I used 5 basic miners at
>> first, then went to about 3 Dual Diode miners. It fills a 400m3 hold
>> FAST.
>> * Learn Anchoring so you can secure your can and prevent a pirate from
>> hauling it off.
>> * Use a missile launcher or projectile weapon to afford you at least
>> some protection from 'rats.
>> * I used an Industrial Hauler, a Minmatar Wreath (cargo cap of
>> 5,000m3) to empty the can and take the ore to market.
>>
>> At first I would unancher the can, and haul the can in. But eventually
>> it didn't make sense to go through all that trouble. I'd just empty it
>> into the hauler's hold. Leave the can anchored.
>>
>>>i have 1.3 million isk.
>>>
>>>is that enough cash to do the same thing you did?
>>
>> --
>> --==<S m e g h e a d>==--
>
> well i'm halfway through setting myself up.
>
> i've got industrial skill to train and then buy a cargo hold.
>
> but i don't think my gallente destroyer can hold 5 mining lasers.
>
> i think i could just get my industrial barge to do the mining, yes?

ah coprocessors are the key.
August 12, 2005 8:48:59 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:15:28 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:46:57 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
>> <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> [not so much clipping as major culling]
>>
>> If you mean get a ton of cash, but quick, you might need a little
>> more.
>>
>> What race are you? I'm not familiar with the racial equivalents to
>> various ships. But what I did was:
>>
>> * Buy a huge secured container. The one that holds about 4,000m3
>> * I used a Minmatar Destroyer with cargo expanders (with mining speed
>> isn't a priority)
>> * Strap on as many mining lasers as possible. I used 5 basic miners at
>> first, then went to about 3 Dual Diode miners. It fills a 400m3 hold
>> FAST.
>> * Learn Anchoring so you can secure your can and prevent a pirate from
>> hauling it off.
>> * Use a missile launcher or projectile weapon to afford you at least
>> some protection from 'rats.
>> * I used an Industrial Hauler, a Minmatar Wreath (cargo cap of
>> 5,000m3) to empty the can and take the ore to market.
>>
>> At first I would unancher the can, and haul the can in. But eventually
>> it didn't make sense to go through all that trouble. I'd just empty it
>> into the hauler's hold. Leave the can anchored.
>>
>>>i have 1.3 million isk.
>>>
>>>is that enough cash to do the same thing you did?
>>
>> --
>> --==<S m e g h e a d>==--
>
>well i'm halfway through setting myself up.
>
>i've got industrial skill to train and then buy a cargo hold.
>
>but i don't think my gallente destroyer can hold 5 mining lasers.
>
>i think i could just get my industrial barge to do the mining, yes?

Probably. Mine only had one mount, which was too slow.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
!