Question on Netscape Browser 8.0.3.3

Hi everyone,

I do not use netscape (but am considering them as an ISP), and I was told by
some people at netscape (both the ISP part and the browser part - 2 separate
entities) that the ISP part only has e-mail (which I know is true), but the
browser has both e-mail and newsgroup access. I downloaded the latest
netscape browser and it has a webmail tab, but after searching all over
(including googling, as well as the netscape help), I can find no
reference to a newsreader of any sort in the current version of netscape, or
to access to a news server.

Am I blind or am I missing something, or did the kids at netscape tell me
wrong. Is there some kind of built in newsreader in the netscape browser,
or does it provide some kind of access to a netscape newsreader that I can't
find. Please enlighten me. Thanks...Pete
16 answers Last reply
More about question netscape browser

    "Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I do not use netscape (but am considering them as an ISP), and I was told
    > by
    > some people at netscape (both the ISP part and the browser part - 2
    > separate
    > entities) that the ISP part only has e-mail (which I know is true), but
    > the
    > browser has both e-mail and newsgroup access. I downloaded the latest
    > netscape browser and it has a webmail tab, but after searching all over
    > (including googling, as well as the netscape help), I can find no
    > reference to a newsreader of any sort in the current version of netscape,
    > or
    > to access to a news server.
    >
    > Am I blind or am I missing something, or did the kids at netscape tell me
    > wrong. Is there some kind of built in newsreader in the netscape browser,
    > or does it provide some kind of access to a netscape newsreader that I
    > can't
    > find. Please enlighten me. Thanks...Pete

    This may not help, but Mozilla Firefox is based on Netscape and is an
    excellent browser. The email client is called Thunderbird and is excellent
    (but lacks some of the high end features of Outlook).
    Good luck.

    "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> I do not use netscape (but am considering them as an ISP), and I was told
    >> by
    >> some people at netscape (both the ISP part and the browser part - 2
    >> separate
    >> entities) that the ISP part only has e-mail (which I know is true), but
    >> the
    >> browser has both e-mail and newsgroup access. I downloaded the latest
    >> netscape browser and it has a webmail tab, but after searching all over
    >> (including googling, as well as the netscape help), I can find no
    >> reference to a newsreader of any sort in the current version of netscape,
    >> or
    >> to access to a news server.
    >>
    >> Am I blind or am I missing something, or did the kids at netscape tell me
    >> wrong. Is there some kind of built in newsreader in the netscape
    >> browser,
    >> or does it provide some kind of access to a netscape newsreader that I
    >> can't
    >> find. Please enlighten me. Thanks...Pete
    >>

    > This may not help, but Mozilla Firefox is based on Netscape and is an
    > excellent browser. The email client is called Thunderbird and is excellent
    > (but lacks some of the high end features of Outlook).
    > Good luck.

    Pete...what I would like to do is get a new ISP and use OE for both my mail
    and newsgroups. If I get netscape as my ISP (for example) could I use
    thunderbird just as I am now using my OE with AT&T (which are compatible).
    I doubt it. So I guess I could just use netscape for the dial up connection
    (which is really the main purpose of an ISP) and collapse the screen and
    load thunderbird from the desktop icon. Would this be correct, or something
    like this.

    Also, does thunderbird have a complete list of newsgroups, similar to what I
    now have with AT&T. And what is the connection between Firefox and
    Thunderbird (they are two separate downloads). I already downloaded
    firefox. If I download Thunderbird will it put itself as a mail tab or
    something like that in firefox, or is thunderbird a stand alone program.

    Please try to shed some more light on this if you can. I have been used to
    IE/OE for the last five years which are compatible with AT&T, but I feel
    need to get a new ISP, and I am a little confused on how to do it. Let me
    ask a dumb question, could I put thunderbird in OE as a mail server and news
    server in OE accounts. Like I said netscape ISP has mail (which I could set
    up in OE), but no news.

    Thanks for your help...Pete

    Pete wrote:
    > "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi everyone,
    >>>
    >>>I do not use netscape (but am considering them as an ISP), and I was told
    >>>by
    >>>some people at netscape (both the ISP part and the browser part - 2
    >>>separate
    >>>entities) that the ISP part only has e-mail (which I know is true), but
    >>>the
    >>>browser has both e-mail and newsgroup access. I downloaded the latest
    >>>netscape browser and it has a webmail tab, but after searching all over
    >>>(including googling, as well as the netscape help), I can find no
    >>>reference to a newsreader of any sort in the current version of netscape,
    >>>or
    >>>to access to a news server.
    >>>
    >>>Am I blind or am I missing something, or did the kids at netscape tell me
    >>>wrong. Is there some kind of built in newsreader in the netscape
    >>>browser,
    >>>or does it provide some kind of access to a netscape newsreader that I
    >>>can't
    >>>find. Please enlighten me. Thanks...Pete
    >>>

    >>This may not help, but Mozilla Firefox is based on Netscape and is an
    >>excellent browser. The email client is called Thunderbird and is excellent
    >>(but lacks some of the high end features of Outlook).
    >>Good luck.
    >

    > Pete...what I would like to do is get a new ISP and use OE for both my mail
    > and newsgroups. If I get netscape as my ISP (for example) could I use
    > thunderbird just as I am now using my OE with AT&T (which are compatible).
    > I doubt it. So I guess I could just use netscape for the dial up connection
    > (which is really the main purpose of an ISP) and collapse the screen and
    > load thunderbird from the desktop icon. Would this be correct, or something
    > like this.
    >
    > Also, does thunderbird have a complete list of newsgroups, similar to what I
    > now have with AT&T. And what is the connection between Firefox and
    > Thunderbird (they are two separate downloads). I already downloaded
    > firefox. If I download Thunderbird will it put itself as a mail tab or
    > something like that in firefox, or is thunderbird a stand alone program.
    >
    > Please try to shed some more light on this if you can. I have been used to
    > IE/OE for the last five years which are compatible with AT&T, but I feel
    > need to get a new ISP, and I am a little confused on how to do it. Let me
    > ask a dumb question, could I put thunderbird in OE as a mail server and news
    > server in OE accounts. Like I said netscape ISP has mail (which I could set
    > up in OE), but no news.
    >
    > Thanks for your help...Pete

    Thunderbird is a newsreader and mail client,like OE. Firefox is a browser
    like Internet Explorer. You will be able to open Thunderbird from Firefox.

    Your access to newsgroups is usually provided my your ISP. Some have more
    groups than others. If you are using AT&T as your ISP then whatever groups
    they have will be the ones displayed. Many people subscribe to a news
    service other than the one provided by the ISP to get access to more groups
    and faster download speeds.

    Is this the deal AOL is providing under Netscape's name? If so I've heard
    that AOL's news servers aren't the best. At one time the rumor was that
    AOL was going to stop providing news access. Maybe someone here can confirm
    that.

    gls858

    "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Pete wrote:
    >> "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote in message

    >>>This may not help, but Mozilla Firefox is based on Netscape and is an
    >>>excellent browser. The email client is called Thunderbird and is
    >>>excellent (but lacks some of the high end features of Outlook).
    >>>Good luck.
    >>

    >> Pete...what I would like to do is get a new ISP and use OE for both my
    >> mail and newsgroups. If I get netscape as my ISP (for example) could I
    >> use thunderbird just as I am now using my OE with AT&T (which are
    >> compatible). I doubt it. So I guess I could just use netscape for the
    >> dial up connection (which is really the main purpose of an ISP) and
    >> collapse the screen and load thunderbird from the desktop icon. Would
    >> this be correct, or something like this.
    >>
    >> Also, does thunderbird have a complete list of newsgroups, similar to
    >> what I now have with AT&T. And what is the connection between Firefox
    >> and Thunderbird (they are two separate downloads). I already downloaded
    >> firefox. If I download Thunderbird will it put itself as a mail tab or
    >> something like that in firefox, or is thunderbird a stand alone program.
    >>
    >> Please try to shed some more light on this if you can. I have been used
    >> to IE/OE for the last five years which are compatible with AT&T, but I
    >> feel need to get a new ISP, and I am a little confused on how to do it.
    >> Let me ask a dumb question, could I put thunderbird in OE as a mail
    >> server and news server in OE accounts. Like I said netscape ISP has mail
    >> (which I could set up in OE), but no news.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help...Pete
    > Thunderbird is a newsreader and mail client,like OE. Firefox is a browser
    > like Internet Explorer. You will be able to open Thunderbird from Firefox.
    >
    > Your access to newsgroups is usually provided my your ISP. Some have more
    > groups than others. If you are using AT&T as your ISP then whatever groups
    > they have will be the ones displayed. Many people subscribe to a news
    > service other than the one provided by the ISP to get access to more
    > groups and faster download speeds.
    >
    > Is this the deal AOL is providing under Netscape's name? If so I've heard
    > that AOL's news servers aren't the best. At one time the rumor was that
    > AOL was going to stop providing news access. Maybe someone here can
    > confirm
    > that.
    >
    > gls858

    gls858...thanks for your response. I have downloaded thunderbird as well as
    firefox, and it is not immediately obvious to me how to get at a news group
    list. Do I have to add a new newsgroup account (or can thunderbird provide
    one for me). If I have to provide one, where can I get the info (on the
    newsgroup) for all the stuff you have to type in. I am not clear on this.
    Right now it (thunderbird) has my mail account listed as AT&T (which will be
    gone if I drop them), but it has no newsgroup account. Why did it pick up
    the mail account from AT&T but not the newsgroup account from AT&T.

    Like I said, I am considering having netscape as my ISP (which I guess is
    now owned by AOL), and netscape only has mail, no newsgroups. I would like
    one mail client to do both - I guess its just a matter of getting the
    account info for the mail and the news accounts and adding it into your
    client, but I am a little confused on how to do it, and where to get the
    info from (especially for the newsgroup part).

    Pertaining to your question about an AOL deal and the AOL news servers, I
    know nothing about that, but like I said If I decide to download the
    netscape dialer (and use them as my ISP), it only has mail and no news, so
    maybe that's what you mean by AOL stopping news access.

    Can you tell me exactly how/where I can get the info for a good news server
    that is free and will provide me a comprehensive list of newsgroups, and
    give me all the stuff I will have to type into the OE or thunderbird "add an
    account". Thank you...Pete

    Pete wrote:
> [...]
    > now owned by AOL), and netscape only has mail, no newsgroups. I would like
    > one mail client to do both - I guess its just a matter of getting the
    > account info for the mail and the news accounts and adding it into your
    > client, but I am a little confused on how to do it, and where to get the
    > info from (especially for the newsgroup part).
    >
    > Pertaining to your question about an AOL deal and the AOL news servers, I
    > know nothing about that, but like I said If I decide to download the
    > netscape dialer (and use them as my ISP), it only has mail and no news, so
    > maybe that's what you mean by AOL stopping news access.
    >
    > Can you tell me exactly how/where I can get the info for a good news server
    > that is free and will provide me a comprehensive list of newsgroups, and
    > give me all the stuff I will have to type into the OE or thunderbird "add an

    Under tools > accounts > click add new account
    the account settings come from your ISP. Microsoft has it's own
    news server that you can try. Click on add account and enter a
    user name and e-mail address. I use a throw away account from
    yahoo.com so I don't get spam in my regular mail. Or you can
    munge you're e-mail address as pete@invalid.com. I would not
    recommend using your real address unless you want lots of spam.
    Click next and enter msnews.microsoft.com click finish. You'll
    now have an entry in the folder list. Click on that and on the
    right at the top you will see manage newsgroup subscriptions.
    Click on that and a window pops up and should download a list of
    groups that you can select from. The process is the same for your
    other news server you just need to get the info from your ISP.
    For instance I use Verizon and their server is news.verizon.net
    and it requires that I use a password. Look on the website of
    your current ISP and search for news, newsgroups or news server
    to get the details you need.
    Or post you're ISP here and maybe someone is already using them
    and can post the details.

    gls858

    gls858 wrote:
> [...]
    > so I don't get spam in my regular mail. Or you can
    > munge you're e-mail address as pete@invalid.com. I would not
    > recommend using your real address unless you want lots of spam.
    > Click next and enter msnews.microsoft.com click finish. You'll now have
    > an entry in the folder list. Click on that and on the right at the top
    > you will see manage newsgroup subscriptions.
    > Click on that and a window pops up and should download a list of
    > groups that you can select from. The process is the same for your
    > other news server you just need to get the info from your ISP.
    > For instance I use Verizon and their server is news.verizon.net
    > and it requires that I use a password. Look on the website of your
    > current ISP and search for news, newsgroups or news server
    > to get the details you need.
    > Or post you're ISP here and maybe someone is already using them and can

    Did a quick check of their site and I don't see any reference to
    a news server. A quick call to Customer service seemed to
    confirm. You might want to check, sometimes it's just a matter of
    getting a different person. Customer Service 866-541-8233.

    There are free news servers. Google free news servers and you'll
    get more that you can imagine. I think I've seen people using
    this before http://www.teranews.com/ can't vouch for any of them.
    I use the one my ISP provides.

    gls858

    Pete wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I do not use netscape (but am considering them as an ISP), and I was told by
    > some people at netscape (both the ISP part and the browser part - 2 separate
    > entities) that the ISP part only has e-mail (which I know is true), but the
    > browser has both e-mail and newsgroup access. I downloaded the latest
    > netscape browser and it has a webmail tab, but after searching all over
    > (including googling, as well as the netscape help), I can find no
    > reference to a newsreader of any sort in the current version of netscape, or
    > to access to a news server.
    >
    > Am I blind or am I missing something, or did the kids at netscape tell me
    > wrong. Is there some kind of built in newsreader in the netscape browser,
    > or does it provide some kind of access to a netscape newsreader that I can't
    > find. Please enlighten me. Thanks...Pete

    Netscape ISP doesn't appear to offer a mail server that is compatable
    with Outlook, Outlook Express OR Thunderbird. You might not even be able
    to configure a new instalation of Netscape's earlier mail client to work
    with Netscape's mail server.

    If you open a Netscape mail account you might only be able to access it
    through a browser interface. To permit customers to access their
    accounts from public terminals like those in public libraries and web
    cafes, most browser email interfaces are compatable with a wide range of
    web browsers.

    Netscape's news server only supports a relatively small quantity of
    groups related to Mozzila based products like Mozzila Suite (browser,
    mail reader etc), Netscape Suite (through the final version 7.2),
    Netscape Browser version 8.x and Thunderbird. I have not seen ANY claims
    that Netscape ISP operates an echo of the more nermerous standard USENET
    groups. I have not seen any indication that Netscape ISP subscribers are
    permitted access to AOL or Compuserve branded news servers.

    There are expenses involved with operating ANY online server. When a
    provider requires a custom client like the MSN or AOL messengers
    advertising generates a revenue stream to fund the service. Web
    interfaces normally add advertisements displayed adjacent to the message
    lists and the messages themselves. Some mail providers even add text
    advertisements to incoming and/or outgoing mail messages. Compatability
    with POP3/SMTP clients like Outlook, Outlook Express and Thunderbird
    don't offer as many oportunities to fund the services through
    advertising, placing more of the cost burden on account user fees. Don't
    forget that the expense of operating local access numbers has to be
    covered by ANY ISP's monthly subscription fees.

    Don't forget to research localy owned ISPs. As different areas are
    served by different ISPs, you may want to see if there are any local
    user groups that can tell you about their experiences with those
    providers. Some of those local ISPs may be involved with hosting web
    sites for local businesses like radio & TV broadcasters, newspapers or
    regional information sites.

    > Did a quick check of their site and I don't see any reference to a news
    > server. A quick call to Customer service seemed to confirm. You might want
    > to check, sometimes it's just a matter of getting a different person.
    > Customer Service 866-541-8233.
    >
    > There are free news servers. Google free news servers and you'll get more
    > that you can imagine. I think I've seen people using this before
    > http://www.teranews.com/ can't vouch for any of them. I use the one my ISP
    > provides.
    >
    > gls858

    gls858...thanks. I know you have to go to "add accounts", but the key here
    is getting the account settings (that you mentioned getting from the ISP in
    the message before this one). I just tried the teranews.com (and
    thunderbird required no settings other than the "free.teranews.com" - ie no
    pop 3 or port 119 stuff - is it easier than OE) and it wouldn't let me get
    past the username/password screen when I tried to subscribe. It opened the
    account in the display but I couldn't subscribe (which I assume means get
    the list of newsgroups). I opened up an account at the teranews website and
    it is going to charge my visa account $3.95 for the free service (one time
    charge - lol). This ticks me off. Do you think it takes a day or so for it
    to take. I got an e-mail back that said my account with teranews was
    confirmed.

    What ISP do you get your newsgroups from and do you get the mail there to
    and how much is it per month, and are you talking dial up...Pete

    Pete wrote:
    > <snip>
    > gls858...thanks for your response. I have downloaded thunderbird as well as
    > firefox, and it is not immediately obvious to me how to get at a news group
    > list. Do I have to add a new newsgroup account (or can thunderbird provide
    > one for me). If I have to provide one, where can I get the info (on the
    > newsgroup) for all the stuff you have to type in.

    If you are leaving AT&T, your *NEW* news server will give you instructions
    and the info to enter into Thunderbird for access to their service.

    > Right now it (thunderbird) has my mail account listed as AT&T (which will be
    > gone if I drop them), but it has no newsgroup account. Why did it pick up
    > the mail account from AT&T but not the newsgroup account from AT&T.

    Because you have to set up your news service in your new mail client[T'bird]
    then subscribe and download the groups you want to read. Look for a menu
    of Edit or Preferences in T'bird, for the newsgroup setup locations.

    > Like I said, I am considering having netscape as my ISP (which I guess is
    > now owned by AOL), and netscape only has mail, no newsgroups. I would like
    > one mail client to do both - I guess its just a matter of getting the
    > account info for the mail and the news accounts and adding it into your
    > client, but I am a little confused on how to do it, and where to get the
    > info from (especially for the newsgroup part).
    >
    > Pertaining to your question about an AOL deal and the AOL news servers, I
    > know nothing about that, but like I said If I decide to download the
    > netscape dialer (and use them as my ISP), it only has mail and no news, so
    > maybe that's what you mean by AOL stopping news access.

    AOL just recently did away with USENET newsgroup service for all their
    clients, so for you to have newsgroup access with Netscape as an ISP, as you
    have found out... it will have to be arranged with an outside source.

    Here's a link to a site that might prove useful to you, and I understand it
    provides a free news service. Haven't tried it myself. Good luck... :)
    bj

    http://news.aioe.org/en/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=22

    >> Did a quick check of their site and I don't see any reference to a news
    >> server. A quick call to Customer service seemed to confirm. You might
    >> want to check, sometimes it's just a matter of getting a different
    >> person. Customer Service 866-541-8233.
    >>
    >> There are free news servers. Google free news servers and you'll get more
    >> that you can imagine. I think I've seen people using this before
    >> http://www.teranews.com/ can't vouch for any of them. I use the one my
    >> ISP provides.
    >>
    >> gls858
    >
    > gls858...thanks. I know you have to go to "add accounts", but the key
    > here is getting the account settings (that you mentioned getting from the
    > ISP in the message before this one). I just tried the teranews.com (and
    > thunderbird required no settings other than the "free.teranews.com" - ie
    > no pop 3 or port 119 stuff - is it easier than OE) and it wouldn't let me
    > get past the username/password screen when I tried to subscribe. It
    > opened the account in the display but I couldn't subscribe (which I assume
    > means get the list of newsgroups). I opened up an account at the teranews
    > website and it is going to charge my visa account $3.95 for the free
    > service (one time charge - lol). This ticks me off. Do you think it
    > takes a day or so for it to take. I got an e-mail back that said my
    > account with teranews was confirmed.

    gls858...I got it working, there was a time delay from opening the account
    with teranews. See my comments to Robert...Pete

    "RobertVA" <robert_c72AThotmail@invalid.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > the messages themselves. Some mail providers even add text advertisements
    > to incoming and/or outgoing mail messages. Compatability with POP3/SMTP
    > clients like Outlook, Outlook Express and Thunderbird don't offer as many
    > oportunities to fund the services through advertising, placing more of the
    > cost burden on account user fees. Don't forget that the expense of
    > operating local access numbers has to be covered by ANY ISP's monthly
    > subscription fees.
    >
    > Don't forget to research localy owned ISPs. As different areas are served
    > by different ISPs, you may want to see if there are any local user groups
    > that can tell you about their experiences with those providers. Some of
    > those local ISPs may be involved with hosting web sites for local
    > businesses like radio & TV broadcasters, newspapers or regional

    Robert...Thank you for all the info. I got the free teranews working in
    thunderbird (I think OE has way many more features - plus thunderbird
    doesn't have the ctrl-H feature which is extremely useful for viewing only
    the threads "you" have been in).

    Let me ask you something. I opened one newsgroup in teranews, but it
    (thunderbird) won't open any more. It downloaded the many thousands and
    when I go to subscribe to one that is listed it won't come up. Do you have
    any idea what is going on. Do you think this is a thunderbird problem or a
    teranews problem. Also for the newsgroup that did open, it keeps toggling
    the numbers (unread numbers) in the ( ). If you click on it, it will
    change the number from 212 unread to 499.

    I may have to stay with AT&T and my IE/OE. Thanks...Pete

> [...]
    >> information sites.
    >
    > Robert...Thank you for all the info. I got the free teranews working in
    > thunderbird (I think OE has way many more features - plus thunderbird
    > doesn't have the ctrl-H feature which is extremely useful for viewing only
    > the threads "you" have been in).
    >
    > Let me ask you something. I opened one newsgroup in teranews, but it
    > (thunderbird) won't open any more. It downloaded the many thousands and
    > when I go to subscribe to one that is listed it won't come up. Do you
    > have any idea what is going on. Do you think this is a thunderbird
    > problem or a teranews problem. Also for the newsgroup that did open, it
    > keeps toggling the numbers (unread numbers) in the ( ). If you click on
    > it, it will change the number from 212 unread to 499.
    >
    > I may have to stay with AT&T and my IE/OE. Thanks...Pete

    Robert and everyone else...I want to thank you all. I just noticed by
    accident (by looking at the free teranews that I am experimenting with) that
    a couple of you (Robert and RRR_news) made some good comments on a message
    that I immediately deleted (because of a typo) in AT&T but obviously it
    still went to all the other news servers in the world (lol).

    Anyway, I found out how to get the newsgroups to come on in thunderbird (I
    guess you have to hit ok at the bottom - I kept hitting subscribe and it
    doesn't do anything. When I got the first one to come up I did hit
    subscribe and didn't hit ok and it came up. After that I couldn't get
    anymore to come up. Hitting ok without hitting subscribe will put them up.
    So what is the subscribe button for. Oh well.

    I also notice that the AT&T newserver show a different total number of
    messages for a certain newsgroup than the free teranews server. How can
    that be (maybe its got something to do with how far back it saves them -
    just a guess)...Pete

    Usually the difference in # of messages in a newsgroup when you first subscribe to a news server. Is based on the retention policy for the messages for that service.

    For Example:
    1. If AT&T uses a 7 day retention policy, you may see 1000 messages being reported, when you first subscribe to the newsgroup.
    2. And if TetraNews only uses 5 days retention policy, you may only see 500 messages when you first subscribe to the newsgroup.

    Also many News servers have a policy of deleting binary news messages sooner, than they might for a text-only message. While other news servers will block messages using yEnc format, to save on bandwidth, other might allow the messages to be viewed on their servers.

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    Pete wrote:
    >snip<

    > What ISP do you get your newsgroups from and do you get the mail there to
    > and how much is it per month, and are you talking dial up...Pete

    I use Verizon. No it is not dial-up. I have DSL. 29.95/month
    1.5 down 384 up. Many people are now getting 3.0/768 for the
    same price.

    gls858

    Thank you RRR...Pete

    "RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote in message
[...]

    It doesn't matter who your ISP is, you can use OE is you want to.

    --
    Manny Borges
    MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

    The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    -- Marty Feldman

    > "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
    >>> Hi everyone,
    >>>
    >>> I do not use netscape (but am considering them as an ISP), and I was
    >>> told by
    >>> some people at netscape (both the ISP part and the browser part - 2
    >>> separate
    >>> entities) that the ISP part only has e-mail (which I know is true), but
    >>> the
    >>> browser has both e-mail and newsgroup access. I downloaded the latest
    >>> netscape browser and it has a webmail tab, but after searching all over
    >>> (including googling, as well as the netscape help), I can find no
    >>> reference to a newsreader of any sort in the current version of
    >>> netscape, or
    >>> to access to a news server.
    >>>
    >>> Am I blind or am I missing something, or did the kids at netscape tell
    >>> me
    >>> wrong. Is there some kind of built in newsreader in the netscape
    >>> browser,
    >>> or does it provide some kind of access to a netscape newsreader that I
    >>> can't
    >>> find. Please enlighten me. Thanks...Pete
    >>>

    >> This may not help, but Mozilla Firefox is based on Netscape and is an
    >> excellent browser. The email client is called Thunderbird and is
    >> excellent (but lacks some of the high end features of Outlook).
    >> Good luck.
    >
    > Pete...what I would like to do is get a new ISP and use OE for both my
    > mail and newsgroups. If I get netscape as my ISP (for example) could I
    > use thunderbird just as I am now using my OE with AT&T (which are
    > compatible). I doubt it. So I guess I could just use netscape for the
    > dial up connection (which is really the main purpose of an ISP) and
    > collapse the screen and load thunderbird from the desktop icon. Would
    > this be correct, or something like this.
    >
    > Also, does thunderbird have a complete list of newsgroups, similar to what
    > I now have with AT&T. And what is the connection between Firefox and
    > Thunderbird (they are two separate downloads). I already downloaded
    > firefox. If I download Thunderbird will it put itself as a mail tab or
    > something like that in firefox, or is thunderbird a stand alone program.
    >
    > Please try to shed some more light on this if you can. I have been used
    > to IE/OE for the last five years which are compatible with AT&T, but I
    > feel need to get a new ISP, and I am a little confused on how to do it.
    > Let me ask a dumb question, could I put thunderbird in OE as a mail server
    > and news server in OE accounts. Like I said netscape ISP has mail (which
    > I could set up in OE), but no news.
    >
    > Thanks for your help...Pete

Internet Service Providers Browsers Netscape Windows XP Product