mobos - DDR3 and Pentium D?

kevlon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
hey all,
just a quick question :)

is it possible to use a pentium D (with usual 775 socket) with a DDR3 dual channel
2x1GB set up?

i have been told that it would be a no, and i believe the answer just want another
confirmation :)

I Tried to do this on a GA-EP45T-DS3R mobo
with a Pentium D - 930
2x1GB G.King 1333 RAM
Antec 550W Neopower PSU
8800GT
and an Antec 900 Case
and it keeps on restarting, it doesnt even even get to POST or show the splash screen
i just see the green phase LED's telling me that CPU is working over time (or so it supposed to say) and then it just restarts..

All the fans turn on, (even cpu one) and the harddrives, and optical drives get power
so i dont think the Power supply is insufficient :/

so i was told that upgrading to a newer CPU would do the trick one that is
compatiable with 1333 RAM

i would like to know if its the main issue? and whether the cpu fix will do it?

btw. also my system was working and i just upgraded mobo and ram
(the ol' mobo was a lil sus hence the upgrade) so i dont think its any of the other components...

cyborg28

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
That CPU is not supported by the board. Go out and get a dual core celeron E1200 or E1400 for $50 and overclock it ... You will be glad you did. (or get an E7200 for a bit more)

*edit*

you dont need a high fsb processor. Just a Intel "Core 2" architecture processor. P45 (also P35 I think) does not support most "Netburst / Pentium 4" processors.

cyborg28

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
P45 does support the Pentium D. Why you would want to is another question entirely.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2851

CPU not supported by board.

P45 might support Netburst, but Mobo vendor support is not there. There are different CPU power specs at play, that make it harder (impossible I thought) to be compliant for both netburst and quad penryn.

Intel Pentium D 930 3GHz 4MB (2x2) Presler 65nm B1 95W 800 N/A <--- N/A = Not supported.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007

You are correct. I did delete my post but not quick enough I see.

kevlon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
cheers guys,
i feel a lil silly now
it was a rush job to get a new mobo so it wouldnt kill my new card (my old one killed 3, first two were dodgy vid card - it was recalled, which probably ruined the pcie slot)

anyway im off ot buy a new p45 cpu now :)
choices now, probably be limited by my cash hehe
ill post and update if it all works